Herochat

So, Hollywood just said fuck it with casting!

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
Re: So, Hollywood just said fuck it with casting!
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2017, 07:53:50 PM »
Nigger victim logic.
Its logical that you want to victimize niggers, yes.

Thank God; I was starting to get worried.

AP

• +48/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »
http://www.cbr.com/guardians-galaxy-vol-2-mantis-joke/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=list

And on the other end of the spectrum, we have this stupidity.  tl;dr, Guardians of the Galaxy is racist because an Asian character isn't Asian enough or whatever.

MTL76

• +1109/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2017, 10:35:03 AM »
"Worrisome."
"Problematic."

Jeez, for supposed die-hard fans of Marvel comics and movies, these SJWs sure seem to do nothing but complain about them. It's almost as if their agenda prevents them from enjoying themselves.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Dlbiininja

• +15/-8312
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2017, 03:41:50 PM »
http://www.cbr.com/guardians-galaxy-vol-2-mantis-joke/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=list

And on the other end of the spectrum, we have this stupidity.  tl;dr, Guardians of the Galaxy is racist because an Asian character isn't Asian enough or whatever.

Hm, I actually felt they slighted Mantis as a character.  She wasn't a simple character and has a lot of history of her own.  I laughed at her interactions with Drax.  But, when you look at it as this article puts it.  They really did shit on Mantis.
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

AP

• +48/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2017, 06:03:59 PM »

Hm, I actually felt they slighted Mantis as a character.  She wasn't a simple character and has a lot of history of her own.  I laughed at her interactions with Drax.  But, when you look at it as this article puts it.  They really did shit on Mantis.

In that sense, they shit on all the characters.  Drax, Starlord, Gamora, and even Rocket all had fairly complex backstories in the comics and they were all turned into funny characters in the movies.  In the comics, Drax, Gamora, and Groot were powerful enough to fight guys like Hulk and Thanos, but in these movies, they're not that powerful.  It stands to reaosn Mantis wouldn't be at her comic levels, either.  Either someone likes the movies despite this or they hate the movies because of this.  You can't pick and choose.  That said, all his other arguments were pretty poor:

1) Mantis wasn't powerful (She could put a cosmic being to sleep, she's probably the most powerful Guardian at this point).
2) Mantis doesn't know martial arts (We don't know that she doesn't and besides, if you want to get away from Asian stereotypes, a lack of martial arts is a good thing).
3) She was submissive to a white man (No, she was following around a godlike, genocidal madman because she was understandably afraid of him).
4) She had to be saved by a man (Her connection to Drax made narrative sense as she was an empath and he's literal minded to the point of pure emotional honesty and besides that, it's not in Gamora's character to be soft and cuddly, so Drax was the only person available for her to be pals with).
5) Drax called her dumb and ugly (He calls everyone dumb and ugly and even then, he was probbaly nicer to her than he was to the rest of the team).
6) She is Drax's "object of a potential romance" (Did this guy miss the scene where Drax reveals she reminds him of his daughter?)

Also, the writer brought up that supposedly misogynistic scene from Age of Ultron where Black Widow said she was a monster because she was raised as an assassin, but idiots somehow interpreted that line to mean that women who don't make babies are monsters.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:12:24 PM by AP »

Thanos6

• +10/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2017, 12:19:43 AM »
Let's not forget that as Steve Englehart's personal creator's pet, a lot of people just can't stand Mantis to begin with.  Her movie version was much more likable than her comics self.
Truten forever!

AP

• +48/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2017, 12:49:18 AM »
Let's not forget that as Steve Englehart's personal creator's pet, a lot of people just can't stand Mantis to begin with.  Her movie version was much more likable than her comics self.

I've seen some comics fans even complain that comic Mantis is an Asian fetish character to begin with, which is kind of a fair point.

Red Exodus

• +7/-19
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2017, 01:19:20 PM »
The Mantis complaints are retarded. She's a fucking ALIEN. She has antennae growing
from his damn head. Even though yeah, an Asian actress portrayed her, Mantis herself
is NOT Asian. (At least, by this film's context)

Yondu isn't an American from the south, despite his obvious accent. Why? Because his
name is Yondu, he's an alien, and his skin is fucking BLUE.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
He's probably from the South of space though. Everywhere has a south.

Ramz

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »
I don't really give a shit about this kind of made-up controversy. Doubt I'll see the movie though.

Strawman Abridged

• +17/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2017, 03:09:43 AM »

Yondu isn't an American from the south, despite his obvious accent. Why? Because his
name is Yondu, he's an alien, and his skin is fucking BLUE.

Everything on Earth has its corresponding space equivalent.

Cultured: be it.