Herochat

Joshua vs Klitschko

Joshua vs Klitschko
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »
Anyone just watch this?

Best heavyweight boxing scrap in years. The second half of the fight was like something out of a Rocky film.

11th round highlights here:
https://twitter.com/MMA_Jim/status/858438141413404673?s=09

...but you really need to see it from the 5th round onwards for full dramatic effect.

EDIT - full fight here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXbbYWzwSx8

Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 09:19:01 PM by Liam Gallaghers Unibrow »

LordofBrooklyn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua vs Klitschko
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 01:58:59 PM »
That was an ABSOLUTE classic!

It was only marred by a premature stoppage. Joshua didn't land a single punch during that final flurry but the ref called it.

Klitschko became a fighter and a true champion last night!

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 03:20:13 PM »
I don't think the stoppage was premature really, a good number of refs would have called it after the second knock down. Joshua wasn't landing much cleanly but Klitschko wasn't throwing back and it seemed to be just a matter of time. I don't think we needed to see a great champion carried out unconscious just to be sure he was going to lose the fight.

One thing I found annoying was that Joshua was ahead on two of the cards before the knockout. There were a lot of close rounds to be fair but I - and seemingly most of boxing punditry across the spectrum - had Klitschko 1-3 points ahead at that point. Some definite home scoring going on (and I say that as a Brit!). Fortunately the cards weren't needed in the end because that would have been a potentially sour end to a classic fight.

Cheers.

Hulkster

• +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 10:00:21 AM »
I don't think the stoppage was premature really, a good number of refs would have called it after the second knock down. Joshua wasn't landing much cleanly but Klitschko wasn't throwing back and it seemed to be just a matter of time. I don't think we needed to see a great champion carried out unconscious just to be sure he was going to lose the fight.

One thing I found annoying was that Joshua was ahead on two of the cards before the knockout. There were a lot of close rounds to be fair but I - and seemingly most of boxing punditry across the spectrum - had Klitschko 1-3 points ahead at that point. Some definite home scoring going on (and I say that as a Brit!). Fortunately the cards weren't needed in the end because that would have been a potentially sour end to a classic fight.

Cheers.

The 11th round, had it been completed, would have been a 10 - 7 round easily on all three scores, so that would have put Joshua even going into the 12th even with a 3 point lead going into the 11th.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:12:11 PM by Hulkster »

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 05:28:18 PM »
The 11th round, had it been completed, would have been a 10 - 7 round easily on all three scores, so that would have put Joshua even going into the 12th even with a 3 point lead going into the 11th.

Well yeah, obviously with the 11th round the fight would have flipped completely even if Klitschko hadn't been stopped. But on the scorecards at ringside it didn't need that 11th round to turn the fight - two judges would have had Joshua 6 points up after that round I believe so he would have won comfortably even if he had lost the last round. That doesn't seem an accurate reflection of the fight to me (and from what I have seen pretty much every TV/radio/newspaper that was doing live punditry had Joshua losing on points until the 11th round too).

Not that it mattered in the end of course. But it added something to the drama watching it in real time under the impression that Joshua had to at least win the last two rounds or get a knockdown/knockout to win.

Cheers.

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +49/-15
  • "He speaks so well!" - white people, everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
That uppercut was fucking AMAZING.

Who has the belts in the HW division, now? Just Wilder and Joshua, correct? They'll be fighting before the end of the year. They'll each have a tune-up fight in the summer and fight by November (as long as they each handle whatever fight is next). Believe it.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 07:08:23 AM »
That uppercut was fucking AMAZING.

Yeahhh I have no idea how Wlad stayed on his feet from that, albeit only briefly. Reminded me of the one Lennox Lewis bounced off of Vitali's chin (who also stayed on his feet somehow):

Who has the belts in the HW division, now? Just Wilder and Joshua, correct? They'll be fighting before the end of the year. They'll each have a tune-up fight in the summer and fight by November (as long as they each handle whatever fight is next). Believe it.

Parker has the WBO belt.

I think they'll leave the Wilder fight for a while to build interest, at the moment Joshua has limited profile in the US and Wilder has zero profile pretty much anywhere other than the States.

I think Joshua's next step will be a fight or two in Vegas to build his profile, probably either Ortiz or Pulev who are both mandatory challengers for the WBA and IBF belts respectively, although it will depend on if Wlad chooses to exercise his rematch clause. He's also talked about fighting in Nigeria as a major goal. Tyson Fury wants to fight him too and claims he could be ready to do so without a tune-up fight but he's still 7 stone overweight and doesn't have a license so I'd be amazed if that fight happens in the short term.

Wilder needs to fight someone with an actual name to raise his profile, in terms of box office he is very much the B-side compared to Joshua now so he probably needs a big fight before pushing for AJ if they want to market it as a mega-event. Wilder was talking about fighting Tony Bellew which would make a lot of sense from his perspective because a) it would massively boost his profile in the UK which is a key market in boxing right now and b) he'd annihilate Bellew who is half his size and has absolutely no business fighting a genuine heavyweight. Wilder vs Parker would also make sense as it would be an actual recognisable name to fight and if he wins would make a subsequent Joshua vs Wilder fight for the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:15:05 AM by Liam Gallaghers Unibrow »

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
Going to have to watch this a

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 05:55:53 PM »
Going to have to watch this a

https://weshare.me/08914538ee434f9c/Anthony_Joshua_vs._Wladimir_Klitschko.mkv

Here you go bro, whole fight in HD including the (massively overblown and cringey) ring-walks. Has the British commentary too which makes it more dramatic I think.

Enjoy!

Cheers.

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
Love this photo that is doing the twitter rounds - certainly not like the Brits to get over-excited by a decent boxing performance...

Cheers.