Herochat

GOTG 2 reviews

AP

• +48/-47
    • View Profile
Re: GOTG 2 reviews
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
I think the internet would have found out by now if they were meant to be anything.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »
Yeah I think they were just random aliens.

(SPOILERS!)

I find it interesting that Ego was a Celestial but he acted like he was the only one but The Collector already explained their were other Celestials. Which means Ego was abandoned by the other Celestials.

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »

(SPOILERS!)

I find it interesting that Ego was a Celestial but he acted like he was the only one but The Collector already explained their were other Celestials. Which means Ego was abandoned by the other Celestials.

Yeah, that kind of bugged me. It honestly felt like an oversight of some kind. You would think when he told Peter he was a Celestial, Peter would've said something like "Oh, you mean those huge, ancient world destroyers that had the infinity stones?"

I guess Peter could have just forgotten about them, but that seems like a pretty weak explanation.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »
I think he was the last one before they vanished. He knew about the stones so I assume he knew how they were created. He probably knows that Knowhere was he head of a Celestial.

LiquidSailor

• +47/-146
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2017, 11:48:54 AM »
Ego's motivations didnt really add up either.

He basically wanted to find life.  He did, but said he didn't care for what he found.

But then he says he really liked Quill's mom and if he went back again, he would stay there.  So he had to give her the tumor.

That seems to contradict his statement of not caring for the life he found.

DIGUSTING

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
Yeah, that's true. I kind of saw it like how Gamora (was it Gamora, I don't remember) said Mantis was kind of like a puppy. If you wanted to find life, and all you found were puppies, you might be pretty upset by that. However, if you spent enough time with them, you might decide to stay with them and not kill them all. And fuck them, I guess.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »

He basically wanted to find life.  He did, but said he didn't care for what he found.

But then he says he really liked Quill's mom and if he went back again, he would stay there.  So he had to give her the tumor.

I understood it as Starlords mom being the only thing he found worth anything in the Universe.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2017, 03:30:16 PM »

I understood it as Starlords mom being the only thing he found worth anything in the Universe.

Haven't seen the movie yet; probably should have before I read this thread but that's on me.

But you know; considering the Celestials basically work for God, Starlord's mom was actually kind of right when she said his dad was an "Angel from Heaven".

AP

• +48/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2017, 08:28:08 PM »

(SPOILERS!)

I got the impression that Ego came sometime after the previous Celestials died.

Uhtceare

• +7/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »
I think the implication was that what disappointed him about them was that they were mortal, and he wasn't. So he decided to create another immortal, and kill all the mortals who caused him pain by dying on him. He could have stayed with the mom, but he would have died because his mind would have been separated from his immortal true body for too long. He was really, really tempted to just abandon his plan, and live out one mortal life with his family, but he was too egotistical to give in to that temptation and choose his plan over family. And he killed the mom so he would never be tempted by mortality again. This makes him the dark reflection of Starlord, who ultimately chooses to be a mortal "just like everyone else" because he loves his family. There's a lot of foreshadowing about this, talking about how Starlord is "full of himself", i.e. egotistical, and of course the constant references to family. Starlord fantasizes about the perfect family, dissatisfied with the family he has now, composed of the Guardians plus his adoptive dad, but ultimately chooses the flawed by loving family he currently has. Ego fantasizes about having the perfect family, as immortal and godlike as he is, and so destroyed the family he already had, i.e. his mortal wife and many mortal children.

Basically the whole movie is an aesop about family. Which is more important, your own ego and fantasizes about the family you could have, or loving the family you have right here and now?

XerxesTWD

• +49/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2017, 09:27:33 PM »
Didn't read any of your bullshits and tricks. I'm in my seat waiting for it to start now.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2017, 09:35:26 PM »
I think the implication was that what disappointed him about them was that they were mortal, and he wasn't. So he decided to create another immortal, and kill all the mortals who caused him pain by dying on him. He could have stayed with the mom, but he would have died because his mind would have been separated from his immortal true body for too long. He was really, really tempted to just abandon his plan, and live out one mortal life with his family, but he was too egotistical to give in to that temptation and choose his plan over family. And he killed the mom so he would never be tempted by mortality again. This makes him the dark reflection of Starlord, who ultimately chooses to be a mortal "just like everyone else" because he loves his family. There's a lot of foreshadowing about this, talking about how Starlord is "full of himself", i.e. egotistical, and of course the constant references to family. Starlord fantasizes about the perfect family, dissatisfied with the family he has now, composed of the Guardians plus his adoptive dad, but ultimately chooses the flawed by loving family he currently has. Ego fantasizes about having the perfect family, as immortal and godlike as he is, and so destroyed the family he already had, i.e. his mortal wife and many mortal children.

Basically the whole movie is an aesop about family. Which is more important, your own ego and fantasizes about the family you could have, or loving the family you have right here and now?

I am Groot*

*Vin Diesel monologue about family

80sBaby

• +22/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »
Yeah, I thought F&F when he said that line.

This movie was fantastic! Best line: Yes Drax. I have a penis.

Average John

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2017, 11:28:11 PM »
Just got out of the theater. No way was it better than the first. Everything that could have gone wrong in the first went wrong in the second. It was over written, a lot of the jokes fell flat. Kurt Russell was the bright spot. It wasn't terrible but i haven't been this disappointed in a marvel movie since Iron man 3.

AP

• +48/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2017, 11:58:49 PM »
Wow, AJ coming out with the hate.