Herochat

GOTG 2 reviews

Toilet Bunny

• +42/-47
    • View Profile
Re: GOTG 2 reviews
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »
In something like Avengers, the one-liners were over done because Joss Whedon has no other way to write dialogue.  There should have been a little more drama involved.

For Guardians of the Galaxy, it's kooky and weird enough not to bother me.  It fits the tone of the movie.  In fact, I have trouble believing the dramatic moments in Guardians, despite being few and far between.

NeoGreenLantern

• +45/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »
ps. seriously, do the consistent one liners not get super annoying to you idiots? I'm curious as to what you like about the 50% of the dialogue.

Not really but I enjoy Kevin Smith/Judd Appatow/Seth Rogen comedies and the humor is all one liners. Sometimes even one liners being tossed back and fourth for minutes on end.

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »
In something like Avengers, the one-liners were over done because Joss Whedon has no other way to write dialogue.  There should have been a little more drama involved.

For Guardians of the Galaxy, it's kooky and weird enough not to bother me.  It fits the tone of the movie.  In fact, I have trouble believing the dramatic moments in Guardians, despite being few and far between.

I felt the gags and quips in Avengers 1 were done perfectly (infrequent and fit the characters). In AoU, Whedon went too heavy in a few scenes, and it was either bad or distracting.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Mightily Oats

• +71/-574
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »
There was a lot of great humour, Drax in particular, but way too many of the jokes fell flat

But I did still like it more than the first one

Also a lot of great character moments.

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2017, 07:19:41 PM »
Finally saw this today, and I agree about the humor. 50% was great. The other 50% was trying too hard... like the "it's not ripe" thing. That's just too silly and tossed in for a dumb laugh that distracted from three scenes.

But Peter geeking out after finding out he has godly powers on Ego's planet? That was funny because it felt natural to the character and the situation. "I'm gonna build some weird shit."

The emotional dramatic moments were really solid... but a few got cut short by dumb jokes or switching immediately to a light-hearted comedy scene.

Overall, good movie. A solid B.

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2017, 09:37:31 PM »
BTW, Ego has been around millions of years. He never met another Celestial? They can't have died out millions of years ago. People still know about them, some knowof their connection to the stones, and people are even mining through the one Celestial head at Nowhere.

I wonder if Ego just considered himself a general "Celestial-god-type" being while being unique from other such beings.

NeoGreenLantern

• +45/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2017, 11:19:28 PM »
The collector knew about them and he's supposed to be super old. My guess is that Ego is the last celestial created sometime after the others died/left. The Collector and others like him we're created about the time the other celestials disappeared.

Mightily Oats

• +71/-574
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2017, 12:20:02 AM »
Or movie Celestials don't = what we understand about comic book Celestials

And the Nowhere mining head thing was a nice easter egg for fans and not much more

I DUNNO THOUGH, GUYS, MAYBE PAUL MCCARTNEY HAS BEEN DEAD FOR FOURTY YEARS

LiquidSailor

• +44/-145
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2017, 12:26:35 AM »
The Celestial they showed in the first GotG or whatever during the flashback looked like a traditional one.  The one that had the power gem in his staff and killed stuff.

They might just refer to a vast number of people as Celestials.  Ego, the traditional Celestials, etc.  Maybe Thanos will be called a Celestial. 

DIGUSTING

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2017, 07:25:39 AM »
The Celestial they showed in the first GotG or whatever during the flashback looked like a traditional one.  The one that had the power gem in his staff and killed stuff.

They might just refer to a vast number of people as Celestials.  Ego, the traditional Celestials, etc.  Maybe Thanos will be called a Celestial.

Yeah, that's a possibility. Celestial is just a term for any god-like being, so he is unique compared to the other God types. Still sucks he died. I wanted him there for Infinity Gauntlet.

LiquidSailor

• +44/-145
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2017, 10:10:16 AM »
Well he did plant those seeds on other planets, so maybe if we are lucky they will use that as an excuse to bring him back. Like a bit of his essence survived.

DIGUSTING

Kallor

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »

I think you're right.  So who else have we seen that could be considered a Celestial under this idea?  Dormammu?

XerxesTWD

• +39/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »

I think you're right.  So who else have we seen that could be considered a Celestial under this idea?  Dormammu?
I've come to bargain.

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2017, 08:41:49 PM »
Well he did plant those seeds on other planets, so maybe if we are lucky they will use that as an excuse to bring him back. Like a bit of his essence survived.

I fucking hope so. Story-wise, Thanos defeating the cosmic host is a great moment. Not just for the fireworks display of weirdness and power. But when Thanos defeats the heroes, you think to yourself, "Damn, they almost had him." Then when he defeats the cosmic host, you realize, "Fuck... they never really had a chance."

Now sure, things will be scaled down a bit for the MCU, but Ego seemed like a no-brained if you have that scene. And without that type of scene, I think it will hard to convey Thanos as being a bigger threat than Ego or Ultron or Hela or Dormammu.

Toilet Bunny

• +42/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2017, 09:12:14 PM »

I fucking hope so. Story-wise, Thanos defeating the cosmic host is a great moment. Not just for the fireworks display of weirdness and power. But when Thanos defeats the heroes, you think to yourself, "Damn, they almost had him." Then when he defeats the cosmic host, you realize, "Fuck... they never really had a chance."

Now sure, things will be scaled down a bit for the MCU, but Ego seemed like a no-brained if you have that scene. And without that type of scene, I think it will hard to convey Thanos as being a bigger threat than Ego or Ultron or Hela or Dormammu.

I'm wondering if we'll see Thanos take down Odin, Dormmy, and maybe whatever cosmic being that could be introduced in Captain Marvel.  They could throw in a few traditional Celestials too, I guess.  And maybe the Watcher.  It won't have the punch of seeing Thanos take down Galactus, Eternity, et al. but hopefully we will see something along those lines.