Herochat

Joker with a month of prep vs Pennywise

Uhtceare

• +8/-3
    • View Profile
Joker with a month of prep vs Pennywise
« on: April 23, 2017, 03:07:37 AM »
Batman and the Gotham heroes are off in deep space dealing with some cosmic JLA thing for several months when Joker escapes Arkham. Joker is prepping to thoroughly make the most of such a long vacation from fighting the Batfamily when he hears about how he's got competition killing and terrifying Gothamites: Pennywise has moved into Gotham.  He declares that there can only be one killer-clown in Gotham, and that's him! He preps for a month and then begins hunting Pennywise. Does he succeed?

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Joker with a month of prep vs Pennywise
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 05:09:24 AM »
Likely. Pennywise had a few major weaknesses: arrogance, limitations of the form it took, and the conviction of its enemies. In the book, the kids were able to overcome It, because they believed they could. I doubt Joker's convictions would be less than a bunch of scared kids. I should also add that Joker obviously wouldn't be dealing with the pants-shitting terror that the kids dealt with.

The only real problem is if Pennywise knows about Joker and his characteristics. Pennywise played around with kids, because he didn't think they were anything to worry about. If he for any reason thought Joker could be a threat, he might just go for a quick kill. In that case, Joker could be in a lot of trouble.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 03:02:38 PM »
Does he know Pennywise is a cosmic horror or does he think he's just another "killer clown"?

Depending on the day, Joker manages to get his hands on some nigh on cosmic item or mystical artifact that can kill Pennywise regardless of Joker's belief.

On the other hand; if he thinks Pennywise is just another clown and shoots him expecting him to die......would Pennywise die from that?

Uhtceare

• +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
 It's kind of ambiguous, but I get the impression that it's kind of like the True Faith thing with crosses repelling vampires: just believing in it isn't enough, you have to Believe with a capital B, a level of imagination and certitude that is so rare as to almost be a superpower. But as I said, the book only implies this in an ambiguous manner.

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 04:17:20 PM »
Pennywise is a cosmic level threat?

Never saw IT so please enlighten me.

Uhtceare

• +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 04:29:50 PM »
 IT's true self is essentially Entropy-Itelf, an abstract entity comparable to Marvel's Death and Eternity and so forth. However, IT can't interact directly with the physical realm without an avatar, and the avatar's power-level is vague but almost certainly not on the level of IT's true self, since that self is present in all decay throughout the cosmos. Moreover, creating the avatar also effectively created a voodoo-doll for that cosmic abstract, allowing beings far weaker than ITself to hurt IT through the voodoo-doll/avatar called Pennywise.

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »
Like a greater Daemonbin WarHammer 40k then. Gotcha. That's pretty dope.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 06:29:01 PM »
In a comic, IT would choose Joker to be ITs avatar/servant, only for Joker to absorb ITs power and assume ITs place as the ultimate agent of chaos. Batman gets help from Superman and Dr. Fate to trick Joker into relinquishing the power, and Joker goes back to Arkham while IT is banished from the earthly realm.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Mightily Oats

• +72/-576
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »
IT's true self is essentially Entropy-Itelf, an abstract entity comparable to Marvel's Death and Eternity and so forth. However, IT can't interact directly with the physical realm without an avatar, and the avatar's power-level is vague but almost certainly not on the level of IT's true self, since that self is present in all decay throughout the cosmos. Moreover, creating the avatar also effectively created a voodoo-doll for that cosmic abstract, allowing beings far weaker than ITself to hurt IT through the voodoo-doll/avatar called Pennywise.
This feels like you read waaaaay too much into shit

"Comparable to Marvel's Death and Eternity" ?? What in the fuck

Even the Crimson King was just a crazy old man, you're giving Stephen King way too much credit

Strawman Abridged

• +17/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 06:54:28 PM »
The kids in the book basically had help from God. Don't see God helping Joker out. That said, Joker could probably make him laugh in a literal Ritual of Chuud if it came down to it.

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 06:55:20 PM »
In a comic, IT would choose Joker to be ITs avatar/servant, only for Joker to absorb ITs power and assume ITs place as the ultimate agent of chaos. Batman gets help from Superman and Dr. Fate to trick Joker into relinquishing the power, and Joker goes back to Arkham while IT is banished from the earthly realm.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-576
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »
The kids in the book basically had help from God. Don't see God helping Joker out. That said, Joker could probably make him laugh in a literal Ritual of Chuud if it came down to it.
They had help from "the Turtle" who was as ambiguously powerful as Pennywisw

HalloweenJack

• +13/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »
Wasn't there some other force though? It's been a while since I read it but the Turtle seemed more apathetic about everything and there was some other benevolent force.

anyway....Pennywise I think should win but you just know in actual print the Joker would be too KUH-RAY-ZAAAAY for him

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
I'm really liking the concept of this thread

Dalek

• +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 09:10:27 PM »
Wasn't there some other force though? It's been a while since I read it but the Turtle seemed more apathetic about everything and there was some other benevolent force.

anyway....Pennywise I think should win but you just know in actual print the Joker would be too KUH-RAY-ZAAAAY for him

Yeah there was help from the Other (God) and it was mere powerful then IT or The Turtle without that the kids would have all died.