Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Five Choices!  (Read 399 times)

Pillow Biter

• King
    • View Profile
Five Choices!
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »

A magic Genie let's you choose one of five possible wishes. (Recycling some ideas--I'm not especially creative.)

1) Cash Money Dollas!

You get $10 Billion in US Currency, after taxes. All legal. All yours, with no one else--especially your spouse--having any legal claim on it.

2) Roll Back the Clock!

Your physical age is reset to any point you'd like, going as low as fifteen, but you keep your memories and current cognitive abilities, perhaps amplified by the age reset if you have already lost a step to Father Time. You age normally from that point on. The Genie makes sure you are square with the Governments, though you might become famous. Medical testing shows conclusively that there is nothing to be learned by dissecting your body for science.

3) Beam Me Up!

Superpowers! You gain the ability to teleport any distance on Earth. You can port to any location you can clearly conceive of--seeing pictures of it will do! You never fuck up. You never port into walls. You can bring a maximum of 200Kg with you each time you port. However, teleportation does fatigue you. Longer ports tire you a bit more than shorter ones, and carrying more of your max load also increases fatigue. Also, too many ports over a short time will start to tire you quickly. When you are too tired, you can't port until you get some rest. You could make say 4 or 5 Paris to Los Angeles ports a day, spaced every 4 to 5 hours, with say half your max load, without pushing yourself.

4) Slow Rolling!

From this point forward, you age at half your normal rate: one year for every two years actually lived. Effects that do long term damage to your body--Sun, plaque build up in arteries, etc. all happen at half the normal rate. As with Option #2, medical testing will show there is nothing to be learned by putting you in a lab, and the Genie makes sure the government is onboard--you'll get ID as you need it, possibly with slight tweaks to your birth date as needed so that people aren't questioning your ID''s validity.

5) I Got Skillz!

You get an IQ of 200 or so, and the knowledge and skills needed to be about 20% better than best person the world has ever seen at any one intellectual or creative discipline: lawyer, poet, novel writer, investor, poker player, physicist, etc.

Which do you pick?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:31:06 PM by Pillow Biter »

Not BAMF

• Global Moderator
  • Stonemason
  • Generic HC User #6
    • View Profile
Re: Five Choices!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »

#1 (Cash) or #3 (Teleporting), without question. And really, that's only because teleporting is one of my favorite powers. So it's the cash and I don't even think it's particularly difficult.

$10 billion dollars is asstarded money. I could do anything I want forever and set up any friends or family I want for the next generation or two. And unlike option #5, I don't have to do ANY work to get it. That benefits my laziness.

Kallor

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »

Money.  If I was older I might pick 2, but as is 1 is the best choice for optimal quality of life.  Teleportation without other safety-assuring powers in today's surveillance state is just asking for trouble in terms of finding yourself drugged on a lab table for study.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »

1 or 2.

Not BAMF

• Global Moderator
  • Stonemason
  • Generic HC User #6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:50 PM »

Money.  If I was older I might pick 2, but as is 1 is the best choice for optimal quality of life.  Teleportation without other safety-assuring powers in today's surveillance state is just asking for trouble in terms of finding yourself drugged on a lab table for study.

If you want to get technical, the Cash and De-Aging options are also one-way tickets to prison if you really think about it. You'd never realistically be able to do anything with the money unless you could launder it on a Walter-and-Skylar-White level, and the de-aging process (if you did it at any relevant point in your life) would reek of some kind of identity theft.

I'm still going with the cash, assuming the genie puts in some kind of caveat like there is a viable and legal reason for how I got ten-fucking-billion dollars.

Without such a caveat, I might go with option 5 (Skills) because I could just GET super-rich, but ugh... I'd have to WORK for it to some degree or another, and that is so unpleasant.

While I'm analyzing, though... Option #4 (Half-Aging) is, like, WAY off the table, though, right? If health conditions still apply at a normal rate, you're just going to be a young corpse who died of heart failure. What a weird choice.

Pillow Biter

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »

I cleared some of this up by editing the OP, but some had already been made clear.

The money is legally yours. No problems with spending it.

In both the age-related options, it's clear that nothing is to be learned by cutting you up. Also, you are squared with the Gov't.--they probably give you a new effective birthdate for new ID etc.

With porting, you are on your own!

scourge

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »

3. Beam me up. And hard. Reasons:

- get out of jams
- no commute time
- if creative, many opportunities for income (I'd say to some rich person pay me this amount a year and set me up in such and such a location, and I'll take you anywhere in the world whenever you want or need within reason, might possibly steal shit)
- can get to places no one else can
- cool party trick
- see the world
Four things to consider--

1) Bernie Sanders
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUZNfbJnp4

2) H2H Character Rankings
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=11777.0

3) Master's words of wisdom
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=12692.msg267150#msg267150

4) Getting involved in local politics

Kallor

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »

If you want to get technical, the Cash and De-Aging options are also one-way tickets to prison if you really think about it. You'd never realistically be able to do anything with the money unless you could launder it on a Walter-and-Skylar-White level, and the de-aging process (if you did it at any relevant point in your life) would reek of some kind of identity theft.

I'm still going with the cash, assuming the genie puts in some kind of caveat like there is a viable and legal reason for how I got ten-fucking-billion dollars.

Without such a caveat, I might go with option 5 (Skills) because I could just GET super-rich, but ugh... I'd have to WORK for it to some degree or another, and that is so unpleasant.

While I'm analyzing, though... Option #4 (Half-Aging) is, like, WAY off the table, though, right? If health conditions still apply at a normal rate, you're just going to be a young corpse who died of heart failure. What a weird choice.

All great points, and definitely agreed on option 4.  My thought process, at least, was that money is not supernatural and thus less likely to get you in the kind of awful trouble legit superpowers in a normal world would (while still carrying significant risk to be sure, but money opens a lot of doors).  I assumed option 2 was a time travel thing, you get put back in time to whatever age you want with your current memories, but I see now that isn't the case so my bad. 

Given PB's later clarifications, I still have the same answer but it's an even easier choice.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:57:34 PM by Kallor »

Kallor

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »

Oh, I also agree with you that teleportation is an awesome power, btw.  I watched that awful movie Jumper the whole way though because the power and even his little uses were right on with how I envisioned them.

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »

1 or 5
Logan defender, gyro enthusiast.

scourge

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 02:21:37 PM »

Oh, I also agree with you that teleportation is an awesome power, btw.  I watched that awful movie Jumper the whole way though because the power and even his little uses were right on with how I envisioned them.

I don't know about how likely you are to be nabbed w/ it though which I think is everyone's big concern. I mean think how much trouble they had catching that guy who was live streaming his murder spree. And presumably you wouldn't be posting your exploits. No doubt there are resourceful groups with various means to do terrible things out there, but we've all also read a few too many comic books and watched to many MIB style movies. X-Files may be just as likely where they send a couple of fringe FBI agents out to investigate the seemingly impossible claim. And when the video did eventually come out as someone would see and record it at some point, everyone would think it had been edited and hoax. No one is looking for it or will believe they saw it when they do see it. Just avoid London. Too many cameras.

I think I would do the kind of thing where I would go eat a fancy meal, act like I dropped my fork, and then vanish. Try on some nice clothes, disappear from the changing room, etc. I might also steal from the federal reserve as I've seen where they keep their gold, but I'm not 100% sure. As I said, I also may just go with the employment thing for some person with too much money who doesn't want to bother with the time it takes to fly everywhere even with a personal jet. The service would be worth potentially millions, easy.

Plus the power is too cool for me not to risk it.
Four things to consider--

1) Bernie Sanders
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUZNfbJnp4

2) H2H Character Rankings
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=11777.0

3) Master's words of wisdom
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=12692.msg267150#msg267150

4) Getting involved in local politics

TURBODERP

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 01:31:23 AM »

1 or 5

Yea. 1 is incredibly practical, as is 5 (if you're that smart, you can make it big pretty easy).

Kudos to Pillow Biter for adding the "govt is cool" stipulation: otherwise a lot of superpowers end up with either you captured/imprisoned or your loved ones held hostage in order to either bring you in line or have you come in for testing/etc.

TURBODERP

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 01:35:24 AM »

2 is kinda garbage unless you're older. IMO, 2 and 4 should be wrapped into one kinda choice or something.

Pillow Biter

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 01:48:15 AM »

Time is the ultimate resource! But yeah, 2 is for oldies and 4 is for young ones. Probably could have been rolled up together, but fuck it. :-)

I personally am torn between 1 and 2, myself--but I'm 44.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:50:17 AM by Pillow Biter »

TURBODERP

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 02:40:05 AM »

Time is the ultimate resource! But yeah, 2 is for oldies and 4 is for young ones. Probably could have been rolled up together, but fuck it. :-)

I personally am torn between 1 and 2, myself--but I'm 44.

A big issue if you go with the classic "you get all your memories and you're in the body of your 10 year old self back in the year you were 10" is that you can maybe fiat away "the govt will not come after you" but your friends and family are gonna be weirded out by the sudden jump in intelligence, etc. If you start going off about how 9/11 etc. would happen nobody would believe you and even if they did, then govt. intervention becomes a guarantee (if it still doesn't happen...then the events still happen etc.).
Pages: [1] 2