Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes

Author Topic: Leftovers  (Read 174 times)

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
Leftovers
« on: April 18, 2017, 01:23:34 AM »

The most unappreciated show on TV or cable is back for its third and last season.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

XerxesTWD

• Global Moderator
  • Stonemason
    • View Profile
Re: Leftovers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 02:54:22 AM »

I'm going to go ahead and lock this.

LiquidSailor

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 06:24:51 PM »

Yea, I mean it would be more interesting if they focused on the event itself, and not just a bunch of losers doing stuff after the fact.

Like those two Left Behind movies.  Not the Nick Cage one, the legit ones.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:55:34 AM »

That's what makes it so good. They've learned from Lost, where they teased that there was an explanation for everything, and then it collapsed under the weight of everyone's expectations. Instead, it just happened, they were very clear that it will NEVER be explained, and that helps you get into the heads of the characters, because they're so fucked up by it.

The episode was anchored around a birthday party where it seemed like everyone was in a good place... and then, the mask falls off and you see how completely bonkers everyone is.

Also, this should probably be moved to the current TV show child board.

Kallor

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 02:42:04 AM »

That's what makes it so good. They've learned from Lost, where they teased that there was an explanation for everything, and then it collapsed under the weight of everyone's expectations. Instead, it just happened, they were very clear that it will NEVER be explained, and that helps you get into the heads of the characters, because they're so fucked up by it.

The episode was anchored around a birthday party where it seemed like everyone was in a good place... and then, the mask falls off and you see how completely bonkers everyone is.

I don't think they've learned anything.  I watched the first season and the narrative was still propelled by mysterious bullshit every step of the way.  Plus, they weren't very clear it would never be explained, see the interview below.  They pulled the same nonsense they always do regarding promising viewers there's a plan, people just knew better this time.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/lindelof-talks-to-vulture-about-new-hbo-project.html

the puzzle will be a key part of the show. During their talks, Lindelof and Perrotta agreed the answer to the question "did matter and [viewers] needed to know."

JookDukem

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 02:49:43 AM »

The pillar of smoke/Michael Bay's inspiration for Transformers was the worst part of Lost.

LiquidSailor

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 03:02:52 AM »

Well they don't need to tease the explanation because it's based on the rapture.  The material is already written.

LiquidSailor

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 03:03:11 AM »

And I'd go around murdering the Guilty Remnant if I was there.

altoon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 03:20:28 AM »

Well they don't need to tease the explanation because it's based on the rapture.  The material is already written.

Yeah but who disappeared was random good and evil ppl disappeared.   I watched the first season I liked it but not enough to continue watching for some reason.

therock

• Global Moderator
  • Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 06:30:13 AM »

its a good show

A great show, character moments are great and acting is great. It maybe the best acted show on TV. Yea they do throw shit that weird for the sake of being weird.  Listen I dont NEED an explantion..and to know what going on. But what I need is the belief that the writer know what going on. Like I dont need for the writer to every say what things mean but I need to know it means something to him otherwise is just tossing shit at the wall

But that aside..it is interesting just to see fuck up people being fucked up

it interesting getting into thier minds. Like when they tossed rocks at the guilty remnant..I know it suspose to be some heroes going to far to show "You see its the heroes who the TRUE MONSTER)..but then I am look at the guilty remant..and like "FUCK THESE GUYS!!"

There basicly like a the west baptist church if they were more funded, higher numbers and more organzies. And occasion did breaking an entry, theft, and maybe a bombing or two

But dont get me wrong dont mean you should drop a missle on them. But right now it just different faction of crazy mother fuckers going at each other at this point.

Fifthchild

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 03:16:49 PM »

Yeah but who disappeared was random good and evil ppl disappeared.   I watched the first season I liked it but not enough to continue watching for some reason.

I havent seen any of the Third Season yet but i think from the first 2 that there is definitely a religious/mystical explanation to things and that who Departs is not completely random. It appears random because it doesnt seem to follow any expected rules - as you say it very much seems that people who were evil as we would judge them (or at least not good) were amongst the Departed.

I guess this goes to the heart of the show which plays off of ambiguity about whether the Departure is a religious event and ambiguity over people/organisations being good or evil (Holy Wayne seems to have mystical powers but he also acts exactly like a cult leader who just wants to fuck lots of girls etc). Season 1 sticks closely to this (the book its based on only covers the first Season) but Season 2 makes the idea that its more or less the Rapture, and not just some random inexplicable event, hard to avoid.

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• King
  • "He speaks so well..." - White People Everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »

I totally forgot about this show. Watched season 1 and thought it went away until I saw teasers for this season.

Skeletor...for all intents and purposes...you're Black Dynamite.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 11:21:39 PM »

So is this supposed to be in the same "verse'" as Lost?

Just saying they got an "Easteregg" of those tables in a library or something in the trailer for the last season that resembles the Dharma Corporations logo.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 11:51:24 PM »

No, not the same universe as Lost.