Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes

Author Topic: Free college in NYC and free college in general  (Read 233 times)

therock

• Global Moderator
  • Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
Free college in NYC and free college in general
« on: April 11, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/04/11/523290884/here-s-the-fine-print-on-the-countrys-biggest-ever-free-college-plan

Apparently if yo people under a certain bracket. Hoping to move it to country wide, one state at a time

But what you guys think of free college in general. And before I say this I know with taxes it tecnically not free. Something the right loves to bring up like people dont know that

Should it be free for all no matter how much you make
Should it be for all four years or maybe even doctarate. Or should it be 2 ears
Is free college bad
Should what you decided to take be free no matter your Major. What if your Major like Hiphop speacilist..or the heavaly mocked liberal arts (which you still can get a career..just not a hollywood one)

XerxesTWD

• Global Moderator
  • Stonemason
    • View Profile
Re: Free college in NYC and free college in general
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 04:50:01 PM »

Free education is good. We divert a FUCKLOAD of tax dollars to defense spending. Unfortunately, enormous amounts of that spending are for obsolete tanks and shit that Congress votes for as jobs programs.

By free education, I mean trade schools, undergrad, and certification programs because some people aren't geared for academic pursuits. Not every job requires a degree. We can easily afford this, we just don't bother.

Uhtceare

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:03:14 AM »

It's a great idea. If they have trouble getting the money, chop the defense budget to only being the size of the next nine countries combined instead of the next ten combined.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 02:10:17 AM »

This is a move made out of fear by people who have no faith in their ability to create jobs. One of the tenets of capitalism is the free migration of people so labor can move to where it is needed. NY should focus on job creation not forced labor retention.

By free education, I mean trade schools, undergrad, and certification programs because some people aren't geared for academic pursuits. Not every job requires a degree. We can easily afford this, we just don't bother.

Yes.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

NeoGreenLantern

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 02:29:16 AM »

I'm all for free education if it focuses on marketable and productive skills. I don't see it as hands outs but an investment.

Dlbiininja

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 03:59:40 AM »

I'm with Neo and Xerxes.  Not everyone has the discipline to run through 4 years of your standard college. And it should also be set up to allow them to do one of the trades or whatever they're pursuing.  And the. Being able to set them up win th a job also.  Cause, we've  already seen how well the pay for college shit like Phoenix and other things have failed people.  And we spend way more in defense and its other collateral issues like health care for the troops that our govt.  Likes to forget about once they abandon them.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »

On one hand college for all is cool......on the other hand the more people get degree's the less they mean anything.

Hulkster

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »

On one hand college for all is cool......on the other hand the more people get degree's the less they mean anything.

Exactly.  A bachelor's degree will simply become 4 extra years of high school.  A degree today is worth far less than in the past.

LiquidSailor

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »

Well to be fair, they aren't worth anything now.

Degrees are nothing more than a requirement to even be considered for a position.  They care more about experience than anything else.  Often cases however, even if you have the skills and experience, if you don't have the four year degree you won't be considered simply because it is a "requirement" put in place by the employer for no real reason.

A friend of mine used to work for an automotive publication, and their only requirement is that you had to have a 4 year degree.  In anything.  Not even journalism.  You could have had a four year culinary degree and that would have meet the requirements for the job.  Honestly I think that is a silly firewall to put up for your employment opportunities if you demand a 4 year degree even if it has nothing to do with your field of work.   Reminds me of American Psycho where one of Bateman's friends wants to have reservations some place, not because he's hungry, but simply because he wants to have reservations some where.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 08:05:57 PM »

They should just drop the four year degree requirement and use some standardized tests to test for general intelligence and field-specific knowledge. Let people study for them on their own. Would save people a lot of time and money.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

LiquidSailor

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 08:41:01 PM »

I've been told the only purpose it serves is to show dedication/commitment.

Any moron can drift through highschool, but a four year degree apparently takes some effort.  I dunno.  I seem to recall putting in minimal effort and still got a four year degree.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 09:23:51 PM »

They should just drop the four year degree requirement and use some standardized tests to test for general intelligence and field-specific knowledge. Let people study for them on their own. Would save people a lot of time and money.

I hear that's what they are starting to do in various places in Europe that have "free" education.

I've been told the only purpose it serves is to show dedication/commitment.

Any moron can drift through highschool, but a four year degree apparently takes some effort.  I dunno.  I seem to recall putting in minimal effort and still got a four year degree.

Kind of both really.

Teacher's have to get so many of their students through in a year or they can get in trouble, hell they can get in trouble if they all legitimately fail because the school's government funds can be affected.

So Teacher's will go out of their way to get people through college.

The sad thing is; in my experience a lot of people still have issues and I'm going to a low end college basically.....remember one student talking about how they were on the Dean's List in high school but were totally unprepared for college, said they actually felt kind of betrayed by their high school teachers.

The difference between the two was that stark.

And honestly; most of the classes, if you were putting in the effort you should have been more than capable of passing.

I can't imagine how easy their high school classes must have been.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 01:32:42 AM »

One of the thing's one of my college teacher's used to say was "you don't go to college to get smarter or learn something, you go to college to get the piece of paper, because anything we teach you here can be learned somewhere else on your own, if not the library than online".