Herochat

"Late ’16 Sales Downturn Told Marvel ‘People Didn't Want Any More Diversity’"

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
http://www.newsarama.com/33843-late-16-sales-downturn-told-marvel-people-didn-t-want-any-more-diversity.html

According to David Gabriel, Marvel's Senior Vice President of Sales, Print & Marketing, a sales downturn at the publisher that accompanied a "big shift in the entire industry" beginning in October 2016 came as a result of many factors, including, according to the executive, the market "turning up their noses" at any title not featuring a "core Marvel character."

Suggesting the answer to the question of why people's tastes suddenly changed was better answered by Direct Market retailers, Gabriel told ICv2 that "What we heard was that people didn't want any more diversity. They didn't want female characters out there. That's what we heard, whether we believe that or not.  I don't know that that's really true, but that's what we saw in sales."

Gabriel described what was no longer viable as "things that we had been doing successfully for the past three years..."

"We saw the sales of any character that was diverse, any character that was new, our female characters, anything that was not a core Marvel character, people were turning their nose up against," he explained. " That was difficult for us because we had a lot of fresh, new, exciting ideas that we were trying to get out and nothing new really worked."

Gabriel cited other factors for the market shift, including the economy, specifically events occurring in October/November that affected how consumers wanted to spend their money (with the unsaid implication of the U.S. presidential election), unease and lack of cash flow due to returns to Diamond Comic Distributors from DC's "Rebirth" initiative, a glut of product, and just a general sense of anger over all these issues.

"There was anger because of story reasons for all of us."

"It was the old things coming back in that time period, three books in particular, Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, that had Spider-Man and Mary Jane married, that worked," he further explained. "The Venom book worked and the Thanos book worked. You can take what you want out of who might be enjoying those three books, but it is definitely a specific type of comic book reader, comic book collector that really liked those three series."

Credit: Marvel Comics

Knowing they had to make changes to adjust to the market, Gabriel explained it took six months in order for them to execute their plans, which they're now starting to promote. Recently the publisher revealed a marketing intiative which will feature the return of its classic characters and include the tagline "Make Mine Marvel."

Marvel's upcoming Generations series, which takes place during its summer Secret Empire crossover, will pair new iterations of Marvel's heroes with their classic counterparts.

Thoughts?

NeoGreenLantern

• +66/-17
    • View Profile
I don't think its giving enough information to really say no one wants diversity. I mean what titles weren't selling? No one seemed hyped for Ironheart so I wouldn't be surprised that wasn't being picked up. I haven't read it but I read America was pretty bad. On the other hand Spider-Gwen and Gwenpool seemed to be pretty popular. I've read both and both are pretty fun.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
Write shitty, boring stories and blame it on the fans. Awesome.

Fans don't mind "diversity" (I'm assuming they mean stories about characters that aren't straight white males?) But they don't want story to be about the character not being a straight, white male. And they don't like the mantle of characters to be interchangeable. Steve Rogers is Captain America.

Waid's Black Widow has been pretty damn good, yet I don't think he's mentioned once about how sexist Widow finds SHIELD to be, or nonsense like that.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
I think I agree with what you guys have to say, ESPECIALLY regarding Iron Heart. I'm sorry, I'm sick of these kid geniuses who are smarter than all the adults in the world. Give me a fucking break, and then to please the SJWs make sure that character is a minority. This stuff works for a show like Jimmy Neutron but dont force it down our throats, we already have characters like Amadeus Cho who actually is cool.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
The difference between Amadeus Cho and the other kid geniuses is that Amadeus DOES SHIT that shows his intelligence. These writers are so fucking lazy. They introduce a character and want to skip all of the work in earning the character's reputation for intelligence, and just have Tony or Reed make a cameo to say "God damn, you're way smarter than I am!"

Ramz

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
How is it news that no one gives a shit about a muslim captain marvel kid running around with stretch powers? Likely dealing with muslim issues? Who the fuck is their target market? the 6% that are little muslim girls in north america?

Of course diversity has an effect on sales. Its pretty difficult to gauge what that is, or how much of an effect, but its going to have a huge impact. When your capital audience is most likely 30+ white males, writing about A Tranny with super powers struggling with their sexuality might not be the smartest move to make cash, or break even
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:30:37 PM by Ramz »

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
Or look at what they did with Falcon. Falcon's a character with a long history. He's one of Marvel's iconic black heroes. He recently debuted in the Marvel cinematic universe. He's got the kind of powerset that you can stick him in a wide variety of stories. So what do they do? Make a Falcon solo series, put a hotshot writer and artist team on it, sprinkle some well-written crossovers? No, they make him the new Captain America for some stupid fucking reason. Then when the series does poorly, blame it on fans rejecting "diversity." Don't they see they're disrespecting the character?

Ramz

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
Or look at what they did with Falcon. Falcon's a character with a long history. He's one of Marvel's iconic black heroes. He recently debuted in the Marvel cinematic universe. He's got the kind of powerset that you can stick him in a wide variety of stories. So what do they do? Make a Falcon solo series, put a hotshot writer and artist team on it, sprinkle some well-written crossovers? No, they make him the new Captain America for some stupid fucking reason. Then when the series does poorly, blame it on fans rejecting "diversity." Don't they see they're disrespecting the character?

Yea, I can get on with that as well. Seems like an extremely lazy paint brush they're using to justify having hyper liberal stand on things, but for whatever reason, still pretty fkin lazy.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
And then there's the story topics. Things like body positivity and the horrors of slut shaming really aren't themes I go to comic books to read about. Sure, they can be minor subplots, but god damn you can't anchor a story around them.

-K-M-

• +9/-4
    • View Profile
Diversity is good. But the way it was handled was so forced. They basically penalized mainstream characters and got rid of them for these new characters. Like moongirl being the most intelligent person on earth? Forced.

Say what you want about the new ms marvel at least she was unique and took time to develop her

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
Diversity is good. But the way it was handled was so forced. They basically penalized mainstream characters and got rid of them for these new characters. Like moongirl being the most intelligent person on earth? Forced.

Say what you want about the new ms marvel at least she was unique and took time to develop her

Yeah she seemed like the best of the new crop of characters.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
How is it news that no one gives a shit about a muslim captain marvel kid running around with stretch powers? Likely dealing with muslim issues? Who the fuck is their target market? the 6% that are little muslim girls in north america?

I make sure to pass over any openly Muslim super heroes, no way I am supporting that shit.

Panthergod

• +36/-73
    • View Profile
The sjws they are pandering to dont read comics in large numbers. twitter and tumblr activists dont read comics like that.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
    • View Profile
The sjws they are pandering to dont read comics in large numbers. twitter and tumblr activists dont read comics like that.

These are the same people who are bitching about Whedon directing the new Batgirl movie, and not giving it to a woman. Fuck, don't they realize this is a fucking golden age of cinema for any comic book fan? They don't give a shit about comics, they are using their recent popularity as a tool for pushing their agenda?

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
And then there's the story topics. Things like body positivity and the horrors of slut shaming really aren't themes I go to comic books to read about. Sure, they can be minor subplots, but god damn you can't anchor a story around them.

You can as long as you make it allegorical

I mean Jessica Jones had rape heavy theme in her book when she started and woman issues

Hulk had child abuse and power fantasy
old late 70's NS 80'S comics was all about the issues

Captain America got pretty preacy at times

X-men thier even black or Gay allegory depending on the writer. And some of their teams pretty dvioce
God Loves man kills Xmen story- Was all about relegious hatred
I mean fuck look how Jon stewart used to act.

it just wasnt an internent at the time of SJW, and Anti SJW losing who can publicly and loudly lose their shit over every little thing

new characters hard to sale no matter the race or gender. So not surprise most fail when you add even extra pressure of adding racial politics