Herochat

Iron Fist Episodes 5-8

Master

• +37/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Fist Episodes 5-8
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »
Yeah, reference back to the first ep he steps into Colleen's dojo and asks where the master is... because it is customary to challenge a dojo's master to a fight.

He lived a billionaire life that sounded pretty detached from the real world (if you help out with this commercial, we take you to the circus)... and then gets thrust into a magic Kung fu world that only appears on Earth once every 15 years where he has to fight constantly to achieve the IF world destiny position. No one in K'un L'un was half assing things.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Average John

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2017, 09:33:48 AM »
Through 9 episodes. The show has gotten a bit better since the first few episodes but the fight scenes are still pretty average.

The story and plot are stronger than the writing in the dialogue, I think. I am not disappointed necessarily. I think the show is fine. But it could be better. I like that Danny is being portrayed as wishy washy and mood swingy. I think is it deliberate and not bad writing. He doesn't know what he's doing. He's emotionally stunted and mentally damaged and he became the Iron Fist just because he's ambitious. He's not fully connected to K'un L'un or NYC. His plans are impulsive, he keeps his emotions under control when he remembers his training, but the monks weren't there to heal his mind. They just taught him to repress the trauma and become a weapon.

Master

• +37/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2017, 04:49:04 PM »
Which is why he had freak outs upon returning home. It wasn't as easy to repress the trauma once he was back home, dredging up memories.

The damaged goods nature of the character is fine, but I think they push it just a bit too much with the wushu washiness.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2017, 08:27:37 PM »
Yeah I'm not really digging IF.
After watching 7 episodes there's nothing outstanding for me.
I couldn't care less about the plight of any of the characters & the action scenes are just poorly handled IMO.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2017, 11:03:29 AM »
Just wait, there's an Asian guy with an Australian accent in episode 8.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2017, 04:09:59 PM »
I'm pretty skeptical the fight scenes will get any better.

Gao's 3 battle challenge was pretty pitiful & very rushed. I got the impression that was a highlight of season 1.

I understand the emphasis became on Gao cheating when she changed the rules but it was also where Danny proved himself to be the IronFist

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »
Episode 8 does have the best fight scene(s). Danny vs that guy with the Australian accent is entertaining as the guy fights with drunken boxing style. He makes the fight.

AP

• +56/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »
I liked Gao's tournament.  And yeah, the drunken boxer was one of the best fights.  The fights in the Hand compound and the sword fight toward the end of the season were also good.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 11:10:35 AM »
Episode 8 was ok but christ it was all over the place.

Danny on the jet to China explaining how he's mastered being in control of his mind, body & soul...yet we constantly see his immaturity & anger rule his actions.

He knocks out a guard (to sneak into the factory)...doesn't kill him, I guess because of Claire's big speech that even bad people don't need to be killed ( weird, especially after what she's been through in DD & Cage...wtf?)

So Danny doesn't kill the guard but drags his unconscious body into the building he's about to set on fire???

The drunken fight was cool & so was defending Claire & Colleen but where exactly does the balance of Danny's "mediocre" fighting skills stop & the IronFist warrior step in?
The drunken Aussie had Danny coughing blood & still no glowing fist?

AP

• +56/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 07:01:51 PM »
They explain Danny's contradictions later in the season.  There is a reason why he seems to be full of shit.

Bran Mak Morn

• +9/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2017, 11:12:18 PM »
Ok Ok I might as well watch the last 5 eps & cast judgement then.

Master

• +37/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 09:02:23 PM »
Yeah, the show should have dealt with this shit and more K'un-Lun backstory in the first five episodes... but instead they load it in the end.

I wish season 2 could be H4H with Cage, but I legit feel this show needs a BETTER second season that focuses on Danny's K'un-Lun backstory... otherwise, I find it hard to give a shit about his plight.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2017, 09:10:28 PM »
At the moment, Cage and Jessica Jones seem more thematically linked with experiments that grant super powers... DD having a bit of that, but no real link btwn Cage and IF other than Claire. Meanwhile DD and IF are more naturally linked with Hand stuff. Of course who knows how things will shake out after Defenders.

AP

• +56/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2017, 11:33:53 PM »
The actors said we'll get a Luke/Danny bromance.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »
Very happy about that. You think it'll be the music that brings them together?