Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Iron Fist Episodes 1-4  (Read 1512 times)

Average John

• Norbit
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Fist Episodes 1-4
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »

Overall, though, this is much better than it has been made out to be. I blame the SJWs who are all pissy about the casting.

As someone who is an SJW, I have to reluctantly agree here. I think a lot of critics went in looking for things to slam. The show is not great so far but is still way better than what the critics are saying.

Liam Gallaghers Unibrow

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »

Just saw the first two episodes. So far it is fine. Flaws are there slow pacing, etc. Don't get all the critic hate though. They seem to forget Daredevil was slow as fuck in the first few episodes.

I don't think DD was all that slow to start. The Kingpin conflict was a slow boil, sure, but the second episode of the first series is arguably the best in either series and hooked a lot of people in early. I don't think there is anything that even begins to compare to "Cut Man" in IF, certainly not in the opening half of the series.

More importantly, the quality of the script and the acting was blatantly obvious from the very first pre-credits scene in DD. In terms of actor delivery, the confessional scene completely shits over anything in all 13 episodes of Iron Fist quite frankly, none of the IF cast get anywhere near the level of intensity that Cox delivers. The writing/dialogue is at best okay, at times outright bad in IF whereas from the first episode in DD the dialogue was good, the characters had chemistry (Foggy took a while to grow on some to be fair).

So whilst I wouldn't say DD was exactly a lightning quick pace at the start, it was a much, much stronger opening few episodes than anything that has followed since in a Marvel product (apart from maybe DD season 2 which started stronger than it finished), especially IF.

Cheers.

NeoGreenLantern

• Global Moderator
  • King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 03:40:04 PM »

The plot was slow but the action beats were constant which is why DD was so much better.

Average John

• Norbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 04:00:59 PM »

Just saw the first two episodes. So far it is fine. Flaws are there slow pacing, etc. Don't get all the critic hate though. They seem to forget Daredevil was slow as fuck in the first few episodes.

I don't think DD was all that slow to start. The Kingpin conflict was a slow boil, sure, but the second episode of the first series is arguably the best in either series and hooked a lot of people in early. I don't think there is anything that even begins to compare to "Cut Man" in IF, certainly not in the opening half of the series.

More importantly, the quality of the script and the acting was blatantly obvious from the very first pre-credits scene in DD. In terms of actor delivery, the confessional scene completely shits over anything in all 13 episodes of Iron Fist quite frankly, none of the IF cast get anywhere near the level of intensity that Cox delivers. The writing/dialogue is at best okay, at times outright bad in IF whereas from the first episode in DD the dialogue was good, the characters had chemistry (Foggy took a while to grow on some to be fair).

So whilst I wouldn't say DD was exactly a lightning quick pace at the start, it was a much, much stronger opening few episodes than anything that has followed since in a Marvel product (apart from maybe DD season 2 which started stronger than it finished), especially IF.

Cheers.

I won't argue acting or writing. For one, I have only seen 2 episodes. For another, it is obvious from just 2 hours that  Darevil is the tighter written and acted show.

My point was simply that it is hypocritical for critics to ding Iron Fist for being paced slowly and showing boring corporate shenanigans when Daredevil concentrated on accounting and research for much of the early going. And while Daredevil had higher moments of action to keep things interesting, I think you are being a tad generous. Daredevil had more than it's fair share of filler and was downright glacial following Karen and Urich around. 13 episodes is too long for these characters, I think. Daredevil's superior writing and acting obviously make it less of a slog, but pacing was by far the weakest area of Daredevil and for critics to have selective amnesia about that irks me.

Liam

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »

Eh, even Daredevil's bureaucratic stuff was better, because it was about using law to protect the innocent and punish the guilty, and examples of both had a clear face you could empathize with/hate.

Iron Fist's bureaucratic stuff was mostly about a billionaire claiming his billions, which isn't particularly relatable. Then it became about using those billions to do good in a way that was too abstract and faceless to be interesting. Selling drugs for cheap is very noble, but it's noble in a big, abstract way that doesn't make for interesting television.

Clownprince23

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2017, 04:32:48 PM »

The thing that helped with Daredevil's pacing is that it was broken down into smaller story segments, almost like boss levels. He went up against the Russians, Noboo, Gao, and then Kingpin.

Detective AP

• Global Moderator
  • The Big Mick
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »

The thing that helped with Daredevil's pacing is that it was broken down into smaller story segments, almost like boss levels. He went up against the Russians, Noboo, Gao, and then Kingpin.

Yeah, Daredevil did that well and I actually appreciate Iron Fist doing it too with their multiple villains.  Jessica Jones was sometimes a chore to get through because Killgrave was the only threat aside from that latter episode where Simpson turns into Nuke.  Luke Cage had the same problem since he could apparently only face one villain at a time as opposed to having both Cottonmouth and Diamondback operating at the same time.

therock

• Global Moderator
  • Mr. Cleo McDowell
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »

Cheers.

I won't argue acting or writing. For one, I have only seen 2 episodes. For another, it is obvious from just 2 hours that  Darevil is the tighter written and acted show.

My point was simply that it is hypocritical for critics to ding Iron Fist for being paced slowly and showing boring corporate shenanigans when Daredevil concentrated on accounting and research for much of the early going. And while Daredevil had higher moments of action to keep things interesting, I think you are being a tad generous. Daredevil had more than it's fair share of filler and was downright glacial following Karen and Urich around. 13 episodes is too long for these characters, I think. Daredevil's superior writing and acting obviously make it less of a slog, but pacing was by far the weakest area of Daredevil and for critics to have selective amnesia about that irks me.

I dont know. Remember Jessica Jones getting shit for the catch and release type storyline with villans. But think the internet general Tennant love got them through. And a lot of people think you can kind of stop after that dude get beat to death

Iron fist so far doesnt have a killgrave, or Kingpin.  maybe that just the character. Dont know if Iron Fist have a good main attognonist to play with

In fact think DD season 2 suffered due to not having a good big bad

Also think say if the people who did the fight cherography in say Into the badlands show, then they would be less complaining

therock

• Global Moderator
  • Mr. Cleo McDowell
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »

in fact inton the badlands on netflix, season 1

people should check that out after iron fist

NeoGreenLantern

• Global Moderator
  • King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »

Cheers.

I dont know. Remember Jessica Jones getting shit for the catch and release type storyline with villans. But think the internet general Tennant love got them through. And a lot of people think you can kind of stop after that dude get beat to death

Iron fist so far doesnt have a killgrave, or Kingpin.  maybe that just the character. Dont know if Iron Fist have a good main attognonist to play with

In fact think DD season 2 suffered due to not having a good big bad

Also think say if the people who did the fight cherography in say Into the badlands show, then they would be less complaining

The very nature of Kilgrave made him a hard character locked up.

Master

• Global Moderator
  • Mr. Cleo McDowell
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »

Finished the first 4 eps last night. This is good TV with flaws. No GREAT moments like DD and JJ had though.

I find about half of the Meachum kid scenes to be too long. Dad Meachum is pretty damn good though. He's a bit crazy, a bit mysterious, and complex in a way that keeps you interested in him.

I find Danny to be a solid character but nothing as stunning as DD. I think it's because (so far) we do not have insight into what makes him tic. I think showing some of his development in Kung fu land would have helped here A TON. Cage and Jones needed less backstory because people. An relate to them... they are relatively normal and experienced bad things that other normal people do (just to an exaggerated degree).

No one gets raised by monks in the Mountain after their rich parents' jet crashes. How much of current Danny is shaped by his rich upbringing... how much by the monks? Outside of some caning, I haven't learned anything about Kun-lun. Which leaves a slight disconnect with the audience.

But I liked the mental hospital stuff. I liked him dropping in on the Meachums and the few brief fight scenes all seemed cool to me.

Biggest story issue? Why is Danny trying to reason with the Meachum kids who tried to have him killed and/or locked up in the looney bin? Especially Ward. For Joy, I can see why Danny would expect some reconciliation. But Ward has always been a dick and now has tried to have you killed twice.

Ward is an evil asshole. You should never try to deal with him again (outside of hostile Hogarth stuff). In fact, day 1 back at Rand should in love Danny moving to boot Ward from the company.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Rynox

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2017, 08:01:24 PM »

Finished the first 4 eps last night. This is good TV with flaws. No GREAT moments like DD and JJ had though.

I find about half of the Meachum kid scenes to be too long. Dad Meachum is pretty damn good though. He's a bit crazy, a bit mysterious, and complex in a way that keeps you interested in him.

Ya I enjoy Mr. Meachum's character quite a bit, but anyone else get a bit of 'Trump vibe' from him? I don't know if it's his personality, or voice, but something about him subtly reminds me of him.

Maybe it's the way he speaks so condescendingly?

MTL76

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2017, 08:21:06 PM »

I;m on episode ... 7? I didn't think of Trump when I saw Meachum. I like him a lot.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

HalloweenJack

• Prince Akeem Joffer
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2017, 08:51:08 PM »

on episode three, don't love it, don't hate it

prefer it to Supergirl or Legends of Hot Garbage

Panthergod

• Prince Akeem Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2017, 09:01:59 PM »

the 1st ep could have been better, the brother is a little dry, but otherwise this is solid. the complaints are laughable. Danny is psychologically stunted and traumatized. It's pretty obvious.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5