Herochat

Iron Fist Episodes 1-4

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Fist Episodes 1-4
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
Colleen Wing steals every scene? Nah.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Liam

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 06:13:59 PM »
Yeah, she does. I'm not saying she's amazing or anything, but she has decent charisma and pathos in a show full of utter blandness. She's jumping over a low bar to steal those scenes, but steal them she does.

NeoGreenLantern

• +45/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »
Danny should not have been linked by the dude in the ER records room.

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »
Can't see why there's so much hatred for this after 4 episodes really. It's obviously light years behind Daredevil but then so is everything else on Netflix, Marvel or otherwise. The lack of a solid villain is an issue, but I don't think that overall there is a huge gulf in quality between it and Luke Cage which had a similarly slow start and also incredibly monotonous action scenes. Cage had a bit more flair and character about it I suppose but neither really stood out as particularly gripping after four episodes like DD and to a much lesser extent JJ did.

The action is definitely functional rather than spectacular, if the episode 4 fight is meant to be the hallway fight equivalent then they are so far behind DD it's crazy.

Cheers.

Liam

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »
Daredevil shows a strong "Oldboy" influence in the fights, which works amazingly well. Whereas "Iron Fist" seems to be trying to ape kung fu movies but without the budget or talent or love.

therock

• +18/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
Can't see why there's so much hatred for this after 4 episodes really. It's obviously light years behind Daredevil but then so is everything else on Netflix, Marvel or otherwise. The lack of a solid villain is an issue, but I don't think that overall there is a huge gulf in quality between it and Luke Cage which had a similarly slow start and also incredibly monotonous action scenes. Cage had a bit more flair and character about it I suppose but neither really stood out as particularly gripping after four episodes like DD and to a much lesser extent JJ did.

The action is definitely functional rather than spectacular, if the episode 4 fight is meant to be the hallway fight equivalent then they are so far behind DD it's crazy.

Cheers.

Think with iron fist people holding the fighter scenes to higher standards because that's his thing

The fights do get better later

NeoGreenLantern

• +45/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2017, 07:15:59 PM »
I'm n episode 4 and I think the fights have been fine. They've just been short and there hasn't been that many.

altoon

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 08:28:55 PM »
When u watch a show with daredevil and iron fist u expect a higher degree from the fight scene than from crawlers like Cage and Jessica Jones.

80sBaby

• +18/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 02:19:11 AM »
When u watch a show with daredevil and iron fist u expect a higher degree from the fight scene than from crawlers like Cage and Jessica Jones.

True. I was expecting different fight choreography than what we've gotten in IF. However, it actually makes sense. Danny shouldn't fight like Bruce Lee. He's more Tai chi. He explains his style in episode 3 while sparring with Coleen, who uses a more expected martial arts style.

therock

• +18/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 03:11:00 AM »

True. I was expecting different fight choreography than what we've gotten in IF. However, it actually makes sense. Danny shouldn't fight like Bruce Lee. He's more Tai chi. He explains his style in episode 3 while sparring with Coleen, who uses a more expected martial arts style.

then it least should be somehwat near the man of tai chi movie,

Granted that had bigger budget I think even though it was a direct DVD film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIKQCZDYfEI

Toilet Bunny

• +42/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 04:39:10 AM »
The show was nearly scraped a while back and they were considering just doing a Netflix movie.  Then it was pushed back to make room for Luke Cage, which would make it sandwiched in between that and Defenders.  I remember seeing interviews with Finn jones and Jessica Henwick saying they pretty much went from filming Iron Fist to filming Defenders without much of a break.

I imagine all that made the show a bit rushed.

Rynox

• +14/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 02:45:35 PM »
Finished the fourth episode, and liking it so far.

The only thing that irks me is the casting for Ward; he seems to look too old for the character.

Like Faramir and his son are only a few years apart is what I'm saying here.

Toilet Bunny

• +42/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 03:21:15 PM »
Danny mentioned Mechum hasn't aged much.  I assumed it was because of the Hand's resurrection.

Ramz

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:38 PM »
Its like Luke Cage level bad. Basically its not that great but for totally different reasons.

Average John

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
Just saw the first two episodes. So far it is fine. Flaws are there slow pacing, etc. Don't get all the critic hate though. They seem to forget Daredevil was slow as fuck in the first few episodes. Here are my observations through 2 EPs:

1. Iron Fist effect looks ok.
2. I like that they are just hinting at the other esoteric chi powers, like calming dogs and shit.
3. They seem to be shying away from really embracing the mystic shit. Just own it, Marvel.
4. Critics hate the fighting style but I don't think they get it. Daredevil is dynamic and explosive. Iron fist is practicing more internal chi oriented shit like tai chi. It is supposed to look flowing and soft.
5. Meachums are meh.
6. I'm mixed on Danny being a petulant child. I mean he obviously has severe PTSD and the meditation is trying to keep in check. He was raised in crazy kung fu land so I don't expect him to be well adjusted and appreciate what they are doing, but it feels a tad too much.