Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Iron Fist Episodes 1-4  (Read 1344 times)

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
Iron Fist Episodes 1-4
« on: March 17, 2017, 05:06:31 AM »

I think we know the drill by now.

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Fist Episodes 1-4
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »

Saw the first episode.  It's okay, but it's not on the level of say Daredevil or Luke Cage.  The guy playing Ward Meachum is terrible, but I'm liking Danny and Coleen.  I'm interested in seeing the next episode.  It might end up like Agents of SHIELD where it starts off okay, gets kinda bad, then picks up and starts being awesome.

scourge

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »

The guys playing both Mechums are terrible. Watching it now. Feels very WB villains. Overly dramatic father and son.

Danny is good though. First ep feels like a cautionary tale of how we treat homeless people.
Four things to consider--

1) Bernie Sanders
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUZNfbJnp4

2) H2H Character Rankings
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=11777.0

3) Master's words of wisdom
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=12692.msg267150#msg267150

4) Getting involved in local politics

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 03:09:28 PM »

Finished the rest of the first four episodes.  The second episode led up to his first usage of the IF and I was expecting something a little more dramatic.  The scene itself was fine, but I think it could’ve used a better director.  It didn’t have quite the dramatic punch I think it was meant to have.  Otherwise, I think Finn is a fine Danny Rand.  He’s not as brooding as the other Netflix heroes, which I think sets him apart.  It’ll be good to have a boyscout on the Defenders.

The fight scenes are serviceable.  Nothing on the level of other martial arts shows, but at least it’s a step up from Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, which had crappy fight scenes, usually.

I didn’t expect Danny to get back into the company this quickly, but I’m glad since I was afraid they would spend too much time on it.  Anyone else notice the Kirby 50’s Marvel monster stickers?

As for the Mechums, Ward is still a pretty bland actor.  I think if he had a better actor, the character would be less annoying.  Howard is getting interesting as we find out what his connection is to the Hand and I liked his response to seeing Joy and finding out she was attacked.  I always like to see the bad guy having a soft spot.  He’s no Kingpin/Cottonmouth/Killgrave but I’m interested to see where this goes.  I’m also interested to see more of Madame Gao.  I liked her in Daredevil, so I was glad to see that she would show up again.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:24:53 PM »

Gao is back? Awesome.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

scourge

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »

Also just finished episode 4. Also glad Gao is back but what the hell is she doing with the _ _ _ _? DD season 1 made it seem like there was no connection?
Four things to consider--

1) Bernie Sanders
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUZNfbJnp4

2) H2H Character Rankings
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=11777.0

3) Master's words of wisdom
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=12692.msg267150#msg267150

4) Getting involved in local politics

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »

Gao is back? Awesome.

You never saw the trailers?

Also just finished episode 4. Also glad Gao is back but what the hell is she doing with the _ _ _ _? DD season 1 made it seem like there was no connection?

I wonder that myself.  We will probably find out eventually.

Liam

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »

I'm halfway through issue four, and I see why it got such harsh criticism. There's no real villains. There are just some quasi-villains who don't want him to get a lot of wealth that he doesn't even care all that much about. He's sent to an institution, but that is run by a well-intentioned psychiatrist who lets him go after a bit of convincing. The "villains" themselves are so disunified that they just hand him the company after a short, bland struggle. Then he pushes the company to provide medicine at cost, which while noble lacks the visceralness of, say, Daredevil saving a woman from a rapist in a dark alley. It reminds me of something like "Twilight" or "50 Shades of Grey", where there is no meaty conflict until the story is almost over. Did a housewife write this series? It feels like housewife writing.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »

Just one episode in and I'm liking it well enough. It's not amazing but it's no worse than any other Netflix Marvel series(outside of DD season 1, which is the stand out in terms of quality.)

Danny's fighting style is pretty cool. He's like water, flowing around hits rather than tanking them like Daredevil would, flowing onto his opponents and then flipping them instead of punching them.

For a guy who's achieved chi mastery he's pretty ragged around the edges though, and is a bit quick to anger. Even the most enlightened person wears shoes in NYC.

BTW I hope that bitch Claire doesn't show up too often.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:49:44 PM by MTL76 »

Liam

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:12:05 PM »

She did seem to be in cock-blocker-mode, didn't she?

Bandido

• Stonemason
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:59 PM »

Danny's so childish for all he's been through. I get he hasn't has a proper upbringing, but he comes across as emotionally immature.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 11:19:34 PM »

Danny's so childish for all he's been through. I get he hasn't has a proper upbringing, but he comes across as emotionally immature.

Yes, that's a good way of putting it. I know the Netflix version is a different character but I'd expect a Kung fu master to have more maturity, self-control and wisdom. When he stole Meachum's car and almost drove them off the roof, that was the opposite of how I'd expect him to act.

HalloweenJack

• Crisis Actor
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 11:19:56 PM »

one thing I'm noticing about the fight scenes at least from the security guard scenes (and what MTL pointed out) is that Danny's style is really fluid. It does look a little awkward, but I think that may be intent, like this is SOOOOOOO easy for him that it is awkward. Maybe when people are criticizing that they're missing that detail.

Seems okay so far, nothing mind blowing and nothing terrible, but okay. 

Ward is pretty bland as an adult and I will admit his younger teenage self was what the Spaniards call El Terrible

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 11:33:48 PM »

Yes, that's a good way of putting it. I know the Netflix version is a different character but I'd expect a Kung fu master to have more maturity, self-control and wisdom. When he stole Meachum's car and almost drove them off the roof, that was the opposite of how I'd expect him to act.

In his early appearances, Danny had a quick temper at times.  When he lost his cool, he lost it hard.  The initial story involved him going out to kill Howard Mechum for revenge.  In his first meeting with Spider-Man, Spidey fell on him by accident and he immediately began trying to punch his head off.

Ditto

• Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 11:56:00 PM »

I don't understand all the criticism. His fighting looks great to me, like he's not trying against random thugs. That's how it should look. I don't want to see a martial artist who trained in heaven for a decade and a half fight like a sloppy drunk dude half the time (aka daredevil).

It's a really slow build thus far, but people seem to be complaining a bit too hard about minor things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5