• View Profile
Wonder Woman Trailer
« on: March 13, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »

Liam

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder Woman Trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:06:45 AM »
Eh, I've noticed a lot with these superhero movies is they are heavily dependent on the quality of actors, despite being mostly about special-effects. Even if real acting is only relevant in 15 minutes of the movie, those 15 minutes are absolutely vital to making us care about all the combat and superpowers in the rest of the movie. Gadot is a mediocre actress. You can tell even in the cherry-picked brief little monologue of the trailer. She sounds flat as fuck, nowhere near as epic as, say, Patrick Stewart making a little Xavier speech, or the equivalents in any of the more successful superhero flicks. She just doesn't have it. She's a model pretending to be an actress.

scourge

• +26/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:31:32 AM »
She was the best thing about Superman vs. Batman. Though granted she didn't have a ton of screen time and now will be the lead. But from what she's delivered in the role thus far, I'm going to have to tentatively disagree with your aspersion.

And Chris Pine is pretty good at balancing action w/ comedy to relieve the tension of certain situations--something DC seems to want to be able to do but has yet to achieve. If she plays it straight, which she seems to be doing, his more comedic/action style might be a good mix.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:35:32 AM by scourge »

Fifthchild

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »
While i don't think acting is what separates good superhoero films from bad ones (its hardly a challenge to snare/buy at least a couple of heavyweight actors for a modern comic book film) i don't think WW was the best thing about S vs B (which seemed to be predicated around the idea that she was a Woman Who Kicks Ass) and i do think Gadot was pretty wooden in her non-action scenes. No idea whether this will be good though.

Letters

• +13/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »
Looks good. Might have pay to see this one.

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 06:36:40 PM »
I also thought Gadot had flat delivery.  The trailer looked good but the trailers for Suicide Squad, BvS, and Man of Steel also looked good.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:18:45 PM by AP »

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 06:56:34 PM »
I admire the loyalty to the genre, but anyone expecting this to be "good" in an objective sense is grasping.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

HalloweenJack

• +13/-6
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »
I also thought Gadot had flat delivery.  The trailer looked good but the trailers for Suicide Squad, BvS, and Man of Steel also looked good.

that's just what I was saying at work today

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 10:02:31 PM »
Interestingly enough; makes me think of Captain America more than Thor.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 10:06:35 PM »

So much so that it may be accused, rightly or wrongly, of ripping it off a bit.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

80sBaby

• +22/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 10:49:19 PM »
It's been an obvious copy of TFA since the first trailer. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Bandido

• +5/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 11:06:14 PM »
I'd disagree on both counts. Diana isn't an Orphan, she's loved and cared for, isn't hard up. She's quite well aware of her destiny. Beyond the, "stranger pulling them to someone else's war".

TFA was trying to be epic. This looks more pulpy and adventuresome ala the Rocketeer, The First Avenger and Indiana Jones.

As I typed this I realized the TFA you were referring to, matched "The First Avenger" and not, "The Force Awakens".

Ughh need sleep.

NeoGreenLantern

• +58/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 11:33:25 PM »
Anyone else disappointed they are focusing on the sword and shield and not the lasso?

Panthergod

• +35/-73
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 11:42:01 PM »
I'd disagree on both counts. Diana isn't an Orphan, she's loved and cared for, isn't hard up. She's quite well aware of her destiny. Beyond the, "stranger pulling them to someone else's war".

TFA was trying to be epic. This looks more pulpy and adventuresome ala the Rocketeer, The First Avenger and Indiana Jones.

As I typed this I realized the TFA you were referring to, matched "The First Avenger" and not, "The Force Awakens".

Ughh need sleep.

..so you didnt watch the First Avenger, literally DIRECTED by the director of the Rocketeer, who IIRC worked on Indiana Jones?

AP

• +50/-48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 12:12:27 AM »

So much so that it may be accused, rightly or wrongly, of ripping it off a bit.

This is why they switched from WWI to WWII, supposedly.