Herochat

Early Iron Fist reviews are in, and they are...

Not BAMF

• +5/-9
    • View Profile
Early Iron Fist reviews are in, and they are...
« on: March 08, 2017, 11:13:15 AM »
... not pretty.

http://comicbook.com/2017/03/08/iron-fist-review-roundup/

The overarching theme of the first several episodes that have been screened are that the show meanders around and has awkward fight scenes, and that Danny is boring.

Ut oh.

Variety's Maureen Ryan spotlighted the show's boring characters and plot, saying "Quite a few dramas in the streaming arena have pacing problems, and even Netflix’s better Marvel programs have displayed an affinity for contrived, time-killing subplots. But “Iron Fist” is the most frustrating and ferociously boring example of Netflix Drift in some time. Not one element of this plodding piece works. The action scenes lack spark, snap, and originality. None of the flat, by-the-numbers characters makes any lasting impression. And as origin stories go, the tale of Danny Rand (Finn Jones), at least as rendered by this creative team, is about as exciting as a slice of Velveeta cheese left out in the sun too long."

IGN's Jim Vejvoda said "[Its] high-rise approach does set Iron Fist apart from the other, grittier and more urban Marvel-Netflix series, [but] it also lends the show a sterile look and feel. Again, it’s all very prime time soap opera-ish. The latter of these first six episodes eventually brings in more comic book-y and fun elements, but Iron Fist is thus far the weakest of the Marvel-Netflix series."

THR's Daniel Fienberg would probably skip the whole season if he didn't have to watch it for Defenders."After three straight creative successes, three above-average character introductions, the partnership between Marvel and Netflix was due for a dud. This isn’t to say that Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have been shows without flaws… Each show, though, has had virtues of tone and aspiration that made it feel like a complicated superhero TV code had been cracked. [Iron Fist] feels like a step backward on every level, a major disappointment that already suffers from storytelling issues through the first six episodes made available to critics and would probably be mercifully skippable in its entirety if it weren’t the bridge into the long awaited Defenders crossover series.

That quote is just a chunk of the article, though, so feel free to click for more sadness.

I'm pretty sure DC paid people for these reviews. ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:18:13 AM by Not BAMF »

NeoGreenLantern

• +52/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Early Iron Fist reviews are in, and they are...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
Welp that's not good. I even took the following Saturday off so I can binge watch it.

therock

• +19/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
well im in anyway, watch the other ones. Commited now. And it does seem to be very important to the defenders series.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
Some critics are being a lot less charitable. Sounds like it is going to get torn apart:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/iron-fist-season-1-episode-netflix-review-finn-jones-danny-rand-a7618121.html

Cheers.

NeoGreenLantern

• +52/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »
Well i watch Arrow so its not like I have high bar for these things

Strawman Abridged

• +17/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
Not enough diversity. This day and age calls for a a transgender gay Iron Fist with an Asian hermaphrodite.

Ramz

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 02:53:11 PM »
Hopefully it's not as bad as luke cage

MTL76

• +1108/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »

Yup.

Though I expect it will be.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Panthergod

• +35/-72
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »
Cage was excellent uo until the last acts villain. Stryker was bad.

Toilet Bunny

• +44/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »
Here's hoping this will be the reverse of Jessica Jones or Luke Cage in that those shows started off great and lost their way in the last half.  Maybe Iron Fist starts off dull and gets exciting toward the end of the season.

Also, I wish people will shut up about white Iron Fist.

Gree

• +36/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 05:21:40 PM »
This looked bad and i hate the casting. Cage was great until Remi died

scourge

• +21/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 07:22:20 PM »
Average John is rolling in his grave

therock

• +19/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 09:39:09 PM »
some of these netflix marvel shows showing one consitent issue

not enough good stand alone episode. That good just by itself. it one long story, and not every story needs to be 12 hours. That why you might lose steme of have some iffy episodes in the middle.

Jessica Jones seat 2 they should take the Justified route, with single case mixed it with a big arc

Ditto

• +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 09:45:33 PM »
I don't understand why someone would complain about subplots. 12 hour long episodes focusing on one singular thing? That'd probably be awful.

altoon

• +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 10:50:23 PM »
Well I'm still gonna watch and power through if needs be since it leads to defenders.