Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes

Author Topic: Best Wolverine run: Two Parts  (Read 499 times)

Gree

• Prince Akeem Joffer
    • View Profile
Best Wolverine run: Two Parts
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

List the best Wolverine runs, including team books where he played a starring role, but predominantly solo.

List the runs with the best art

scourge

• King Jaffe Joffer
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Re: Best Wolverine run: Two Parts
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »

This is a team book, but meets the qualifications for both best run where he played a starring role with the best art

Uncanny X-Force
Writer: Rick Remender
Arist: Jerom Opena  (with a "˜" over the "n")
Editor: Jody Leheup

Those three on the book meant solid gold. Once Leheup wasn't editing anymore the quality noticeably fell off. This is because Leheup went above and beyond on that book and really cared about making a solid piece and it shows. Remender sometimes has such big amazing ideas but needs a good editor to focus him IMO.  Opena's art on that and especially colored by whoever was coloring it (can't remember) was some of the best I've seen.

As far as Wolverine's role, it was his team. He lead it and called the shots and was written and drawn well.

But I'd like to know some solo runs of note as well.

Liam Gallaghers Unibrow

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »

All the early solo series stuff from Claremont on is great until it becomes too 1990s/Larry Hama having weird obsessions with cyborg ninjas, mystical demons and a million dangling plot threads never to be heard of again. I can't remember exactly where the drop off in quality starts but the first few years worth of stories at least are all great.

More recently, Jason Aaron's run was mostly very good, especially the early part ("Get Mystique" and the "The Adamantium Men" are the highlights I think, mostly downhill from there).

The current Old Man Logan ongoing is excellent (or it was until I lost track of it a few months ago), art especially is amazing.

The best period for art is the Lenil Yu run during the bone claw era. There were some good stories around then too ("Not Dead Yet" by Warren Ellis etc) but also some not so good ones.

Cheers.

Liam

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »

Larry Hama having weird obsessions with cyborg ninjas,

Larry Hama is Japanese, so the obsession with ninjas and cyborgs might be genetic.  :P

Whiskeyclone

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »

Claremont's original X-Men run, obviously for teams. And I second Remender's UXF.

Claremont's Madripoor Patch run was good to start the solo series.

Hama had some stuff that floundered a bit but his stretch from #75-90 was great, right after Wolverine had his adamantium ripped out. You can add the AoA Weapon X 4 parter to that, too (it immediately followed #90).

Frank Tieri's was pretty damn good for its bulk. He wrote Wolverine well, made good use of guests, and worked to beef up Wolvie's rogues gallery with new foes while also doing great stuff with established ones. Best Sabertooth ever, and it spawned the very good Weapon X series.

And then yeah, Aaron. He was the first in a long time.

Panthergod

• Prince Akeem Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »

I've been gong through the entire X-Men continuity in Chronological order off and on for a while..I'm at the mid 90s now and the Claremont/Early Hama stuff are the highligfhts so far.

Strawman Abridged

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »

All I know about Hama is that he wrote that damn good done-in-one with Bloodscream and that cyborg chick getting led around by Wolverine thru the wilderness.

Whiskeyclone

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »

That's one of he & Adam Kubert's easy career highlights for me. Both were peaking around that time in general.

MTL76

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »

All I know about Hama is that he wrote that damn good done-in-one with Bloodscream and that cyborg chick getting led around by Wolverine thru the wilderness.

Skullbuster.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Whiskeyclone

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »

Nope, Cyllica or some shit

MTL76

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 01:03:16 PM »

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Gree

• Prince Akeem Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 01:04:54 PM »

Angelfire...those were the days

Strawman Abridged

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 07:25:26 PM »

So this thread inspired me to read up on the Larry Hama run.

Wasn't expecting his plotting style to be so random and off the wall. What a wonky narrative pace. Guy sure loved tossing multiple  characters and plot lines into a blender and serving em up rapid-fire; nevermind the Mojo/time-travel stuff. Gotta wonder if/how much peyote went into the creative process.

Good amount of Wolverine/Weapon X back-story I was only dimly aware of. You always hear about Claremont/Miller/Barry Windsor Smith's contributions to the character's lore, but I'm surprised Hama's name didn't come up more often, given all the Weapon X characters and backstory he added. Or maybe it does, I dunno.

What's also surprising is that a villain like Aldo Ferro aka Vole aka Psi-borg - apparently responsible for a hefty chunk of the long-lasting misery Logan's suffered throughout his history, as well as playing a direct role in Silverfox's death - basically showed up in that one pivotal story, only to make a clean getaway by the end; barely ever gets mentioned again, nor does he ostensibly makes any further notable appearances thereafter minus an odd cameo or so. Hell, I'd never heard of this guy before catching up on the Hama run. Granted, his costume and codename were pretty goofy, but still you'd think a villain who played such a damning role in screwing up Wolverine's life would've receive more airplay from Wolverine-obsessed Marvel/X writers.