Herochat

Trump slashes Great Lakes funding by 97 percent in early budget plan

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +2/-0
    • View Profile
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/trump_great_lakes_epa_cuts.html

The White House is proposing to slash Environmental Protection Agency funding that pays for Great Lakes pollution cleanup by 97 percent, according to a budget document obtained by the National Association of Clean Air Agencies.

The potential cuts are part of President Donald Trump's initial 2018 budget proposal, detailed in a U.S. Office of Management and Budget "passback" to the EPA that outlines drastic cuts to an agency Trump has called a "job killer" and promised to reduce to "tidbits" as a candidate.

The proposal would virtually eliminate annual Great Lakes Restoration Initiative (GLRI) funding, slashing it from $300 million to $10 million among other cuts that would altogether reduce the EPA's total budget by a quarter.

The Great Lakes funding cut is the largest total dollar reduction on a list that includes major cuts to climate change programs, restoration funding for Puget Sound and Chesapeake Bay, research into chemicals that disrupt human reproductive and developmental systems, enforcement of pollution laws and funding for Brownfield cleanups.

The plan also includes a $13 million cut in compliance monitoring, which the EPA uses to ensure the safety of drinking water systems. State grants for beach water quality testing would also be eliminated.

"When you see these reductions, you'll be able to tie it back to a speech the President gave, or something the President had said previously," Mick Mulvaney, administration budget director, said at a White House press briefing Monday. "We are taking his words and turning them into policies and dollars."  ........
Thom Hartmann : "How can you have a functioning nation when you don't believe in science or education?"

NeoGreenLantern

• +45/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Trump slashes Great Lakes funding by 97 percent in early budget plan
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »
easier to control everyone when you give them all lead poisoning.

Imperial

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 07:40:17 PM »
Making the Cuyahoga Burn Again!

At least the midwest will be able to be seen from space 24/7, I guess. Think of all the extra energy released by those fires too. It's going to be YUGGGGGEEEEE!
Thom Hartmann : "How can you have a functioning nation when you don't believe in science or education?"

Strawman Abridged

• +16/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 08:43:34 PM »
It's America that needs to be great, not some lakes.

therock

• +18/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
The avengers in that area will be pissed

Dlbiininja

• +15/-8298
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:31:49 PM »
Yea, like the water hasn't been bad enough around here already.  Shit,  we've been fighting against a proposed chinese methane plant here in the area.  And being in the location it is it would be a fucked up situation if it were to explode.  Cause, it would be relatively close to the I-5 corridor.  and it would totally screw train, and freeway traffic possibly affect the residential also. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

Not BAMF

• +3/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »
The potential cuts are part of President Donald Trump's initial 2018 budget proposal, detailed in a U.S. Office of Management and Budget "passback" to the EPA that outlines drastic cuts to an agency Trump has called a "job killer" and promised to reduce to "tidbits" as a candidate.

This agency is job killer, but he's going to gut the agency so that it has to lay off an enormous number employees. Maybe he is just jealous?

therock

• +18/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
hey you guys, he got to pay for that 21 billon dolla wall somehow
and the over 51 billion in extra milltary spending

this stuff should help
And the tax cuts

LiquidSailor

• +43/-145
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »
The great lakes are the largest accessible fresh water source on the entire planet.  The ENTIRE PLANET!

Who needs em!

DIGUSTING

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 11:22:26 PM »
Finally.... Revenge for the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Toilet Bunny

• +42/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 02:37:40 AM »
The avengers in that area will be pissed

Beat me to it.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »

So anyone want to make a pool when we hit the recession?

Imperial

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 05:15:09 PM »

So anyone want to make a pool when we hit the recession?

Quite a number of years ago on the old board, I was discussing economic trends and philosophies with safado and someone else. I remember at the time saying the end of this decade or thereabouts would see an economic recession of major proportions if earnings trends do not change. I don't see any reason to change that view other than to state it could be even deeper or longer than I thought.

Further undoing an already flimsy social safety net will send of millions, (maybe tens of millions,) more slipping into poverty. Which leads to less spending at the ground level. More homelessness. More crime. More crime victims. More need of medical services, with fewer covered. More incarceration. A harder edged police state. On a foreign policy level, America cannot support it's bloated empire. The meat and potatoes of the nation get very little for what it expends there.

Continuing on the path the U.S. is heading will effectively plummet many additional areas of the nation into glorified banana republic status. With the rich and mega-corporations getting huge tax breaks and the middle and lower classes having less to pay in, a mass collapse is inevitable. The country has not learned a thing from the last recession, so it is doomed to repeat it. Only worse.

I would be quite surprised if America is in good financial shape by the next Presidential election. Though I could see Trump trying to be sneaky enough to let the most harsh results occur after 2020. But in many respects the U.S. is on fairly thin ice already. So I am not sure he can wing that even if he wanted to.