Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Like Powergirl's boobs, what characters have gotten bigger over time...  (Read 2941 times)

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Like Powergirl's boobs, what characters have gotten bigger over time...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 12:27:51 PM »

There was another scan of Wolvie facing Juggy, I think, from when Marko was depowered and Logan was up a fucking ladder.

Liefeld drew Juggy about 20 feet tall but he did the same with Abomination and others. Y'know ... Liefeld.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »

I dont think i've seen that ladder pic. Sounds funny as hell!

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »

But if the Hulk is not a hulking behemoth, then who?

I'm not saying 15 feet tall, but I don't mind the 8-10' portrayals

I don't mind 8', but 10'+ is probably excessive. I think Byrne got the size difference between the Hulk and normal heroes about right. Substantially bigger, but not to such an extent that he looks goofy fighting them.

As for who should be bigger than the Hulk, Sasquatch and Wendigo are the first two characters that spring to mind, if for no other reason than the fact that they clearly were bigger than him classically. Ajax of the Pantheon was also drawn as larger than the merged Hulk, who was supposed to be a bit bigger than the savage Hulk.

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »

Spider-Man has gone in the opposite direction with some artists. If you look at how Ultimate Peter Parker is drawn for example, he looks much scrawnier than the teenaged Peter of the 616. Even the adult 616 Peter is sometimes drawn skinnier in modern comics than he was as a teenager in the '60s.

Yeah, they've been emphasizing his youth lately. As a result, he's gone from looking 170 or so, to looking maybe 135.

I wouldn't say that applies currently. Mile Morales has filled the niche of young Spider-Man, while Peter is being allowed to mature as a veteran superhero (he's officially been Spider-Man for 13 years now), who teaches rookie mutants at Xavier Academy while heading a billion dollar, global tech firm. Also, Peter isn't being drawn that skinny in AMAZING at the moment.

I've seen some very scrawny depictions of him during the last 20 years though. In particular, I was struck by the way John Romita Jr. went from drawing Peter like this...

... to this. Not sure why he made that change, as Spidey looks abnormally thin in the latter image, like someone with an illness or eating disorder.

I prefer a more classic depiction. Here's how John Romita Sr. drew Spidey next to the Avengers. Smaller than the male Avengers, but still strong and athletic-looking in his own right.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »

Incidentally, that Hulk scan you posted was written and drawn by Byrne. It probably influenced PAD though.
My mistake, thank you!

For me, 5'3" Wolverine is perfect in comics. Spidey drawn above 165lbs is wrong, though its happened a lot.

Yeah and at 5"9 165 lbs is actually a pretty decent amount of weight when it's solid muscle.  Not big but definitely can be in good physical condition.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »

^^^thats how i see it.

I was thinking of JRJR ystersay; i really disliked his bigger spidey. His thinner looks odd, but more in line with what i picture Spidey as.

XerxesTWD

• Global Moderator
  • Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 01:18:00 AM »

I like a massive Hulk and a non-midget Wolverine. A 5'8-5'9 Logan is more normal looking and still seriously shorter than the majority of heroes, encapsulating the tiny warrior thing
Spider-Man is 5'9", you fool!

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »

Spider-Man is 5'9", you fool!

Close, but no cigar.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 11:11:27 AM »

Marvel Universe Handbook has him at 5'10", 165lbs, which is what i go by with him.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QfaFW-BVn9U/Vk6JaX_5ZjI/AAAAAAAASjY/WlhoeKvs6-4/s1600/Spider-Man%2Bby%2BJordan%2BGibson.jpg

Of course, they have Wolverine at a spot on 5'3", but a way off 195lbs...
http://68.media.tumblr.com/14678c2646ffcccbf6801ad228ad7564/tumblr_nah3wyWUYt1rn55nzo1_500.jpg

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »

Spidey's Official Handbook height and weight figures were almost certainly based on the first scene I posted from a '60s issue.

And Wolverine was stated to be 5'5" in his first full appearance, which is closer to how he's actually drawn most of the time.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 03:19:01 PM »

To be fair, Wolvie's built like a tank.

Another one for the list is Power Girl herself. Originally she was like Supergirl with giant knockers but more recently, a lot of artists draw her as a female bodybuilder. In her Hatley Quincy appearances not long ago, she looked to be at least six feet tall and three people, inclusing a fairly big guy, struggled to carry her between them.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »

Add the Thing as well. Grimm is listed at 6'0", shorter than Reed Richards, but most artists now draw him taller than Thor.

She Hulk is listed at 6'7" but is usually drawn more like 7'0". That's pretty much always been the case with her though.

XerxesTWD

• Global Moderator
  • Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 06:15:58 PM »

Marvel Universe Handbook has him at 5'10", 165lbs, which is what i go by with him.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QfaFW-BVn9U/Vk6JaX_5ZjI/AAAAAAAASjY/WlhoeKvs6-4/s1600/Spider-Man%2Bby%2BJordan%2BGibson.jpg

Of course, they have Wolverine at a spot on 5'3", but a way off 195lbs...
http://68.media.tumblr.com/14678c2646ffcccbf6801ad228ad7564/tumblr_nah3wyWUYt1rn55nzo1_500.jpg
5'10 is what I've always gone by but I thought we were pissed at Bendis or somebody for changing it to 5'9.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 09:35:33 PM »

^^^why would Bendis take an inch? ???
To be fair, Wolvie's built like a tank.
True.
I wondered how theyd work that in the 1st X movie. Not too many 5'3" actors much less ones built like pro wrestlers. They did the right thing, though and took creative license. 

Snake-eyes

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 09:55:40 PM »

The right thing would have been leaving Wolverine out of the movie.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15