Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Like Powergirl's boobs, what characters have gotten bigger over time...  (Read 1847 times)

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAR 2017
    • View Profile

...for no real reason?

I know that applies to most characters as artists got better (art evolution), but looking for any that may have caught your eye for some reason.

When Lobo first premiered he was a regular sized guy:

By the time his solo series rolled around, he was way more buff, and has become almost Hulk like at this point:

PAD even used it as a plot point, the clever bastard:

Which ones have you guys liked/noticed?

...desperately shipping Patton Oswalt & Anna Kendrick...

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile

The Hulk is the most obvious example. He was originally around 7 foot in his green form, which -- colour aside -- was indistinguishable from the grey appearance he had in his debut issue. These days he often looks around 10 foot tall. Even the grey Hulk dwarfed Wonder Man in the HULK SMASH AVENGERS miniseries published a few years ago.

Wolverine also springs to mind. The difference isn't huge, but he tends to look closer to average height since the Jackman movies than he did before.

Spider-Man has gone in the opposite direction with some artists. If you look at how Ultimate Peter Parker is drawn for example, he looks much scrawnier than the teenaged Peter of the 616. Even the adult 616 Peter is sometimes drawn skinnier in modern comics than he was as a teenager in the '60s.

Incidentally, that Hulk scan you posted was written and drawn by Byrne. It probably influenced PAD though.

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile

I like a massive Hulk and a non-midget Wolverine. A 5'8-5'9 Logan is more normal looking and still seriously shorter than the majority of heroes, encapsulating the tiny warrior thing
Logan defender, gyro enthusiast.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile

I like a massive Hulk and a non-midget Wolverine.

Yeah.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

scourge

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile

5' 3" is just fine for Wolverine. Doesn't take anything away from him and is a super distinct physical characteristic
Four things to consider--

1) Bernie Sanders
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUZNfbJnp4

2) H2H Character Rankings
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=11777.0

3) Master's words of wisdom
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=12692.msg267150#msg267150

4) Getting involved in local politics

The Shuruku Demon

• King
    • View Profile

I like Wolverine's original height of 5'5". Noticeably below average height for a male, but not so short that average women have to look down at him. Stood next to Puck, it'd be clear he's not actually a midget, just short.

Also not sold on some of the more gigantic Hulk depictions. Take this pic of him fighting Hyperion for example; a Hulk this big looks a bit silly slugging it out with normal-sized heroes. Can you imagine them trying to lock up with that size difference? I don't think they could even intertwine their fingers, aside from anything else.

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile

I like Wolverine's original height of 5'5". Noticeably below average height for a male, but not so short that average women have to look down at him. Stood next to Puck, it'd be clear he's not actually a midget, just short.

Also not sold on some of the more gigantic Hulk depictions. Take this pic of him fighting Hyperion for example; a Hulk this big looks a bit silly slugging it out with normal-sized heroes. Can you imagine them trying to lock up with that size difference? I don't think they could even intertwine their fingers, aside from anything else.

But if the Hulk is not a hulking behemoth, then who?

I'm not saying 15 feet tall, but I don't mind the 8-10' portrayals

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile

5' 3" is just fine for Wolverine. Doesn't take anything away from him and is a super distinct physical characteristic

*Sorry Neo

But it's oddly short, like freakishly short in a universe where all males are 6'0-6'7. Having Wolverine come up to below 6'2-6'3 Caps nipples just looks weird. He'd stand out oddly on teams. A 5'8-5'9 is shorter than Spider-Man, and some female heroes, but not freakishly tiny, like a Connor Mcgregor, it's still believable that he can take on big guys, without looking like a dwarf. At 5'3 he'd have to look up to Kitty Pryde

scourge

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile

Whatever height this is, I like:

Noticeably shorter than the others but not as short as Puck
Four things to consider--

1) Bernie Sanders
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUZNfbJnp4

2) H2H Character Rankings
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=11777.0

3) Master's words of wisdom
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=12692.msg267150#msg267150

4) Getting involved in local politics

Liam

• King
    • View Profile

Spider-Man has gone in the opposite direction with some artists. If you look at how Ultimate Peter Parker is drawn for example, he looks much scrawnier than the teenaged Peter of the 616. Even the adult 616 Peter is sometimes drawn skinnier in modern comics than he was as a teenager in the '60s.

Yeah, they've been emphasizing his youth lately. As a result, he's gone from looking 170 or so, to looking maybe 135.

therock

• Global Moderator
  • Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
Re: Like Powergirl's boobs, what characters have gotten bigger over time...
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 05:55:12 AM »

wonder woman change depending on who write her

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 06:10:34 AM »

Incidentally, that Hulk scan you posted was written and drawn by Byrne. It probably influenced PAD though.
My mistake, thank you!

For me, 5'3" Wolverine is perfect in comics. Spidey drawn above 165lbs is wrong, though its happened a lot. 

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »

I like a huge Hulk but not a ridiculous one. I always liked that Sasquatch was a lot bigger than him and I wouldn't mind Colossus being a bit taller, although nowhere near as massive. 7'0'' is too small but a Hulk about 7'6'' is fine, as he was in Peter David's Professor run.

Juggernaut's become bigger over time. He was always huge but he's been insane in some portrayals.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »

Forgot about Juggy!

This pic always made a big impression:

With Wolvie being 5'3".
Juggy's gotten BIGGER since then, too i believe. Yeesh.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 12:20:51 PM »

^^^ Whenever I see that scan, I think "Who the fuck does Wolverine think he is?"

Juggernaut's one of the few bricks who wouldn't even notice Wolverine.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15