Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes

Author Topic: Switch impressions and general discussion  (Read 118 times)

Kallor

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
Switch impressions and general discussion
« on: March 04, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »

-The handheld screen is nice, and hits the right size between too large to carry around and too small to properly enjoy console-style games.

-Joy-con are cool, and not as uncomfortable as I feared due to their size.  Switching them in and out of the different configurations is a bit harder than it should ideally be due to the placement of the release button, but isn't as big a deal as sites are making it out to be. 

-The controller holder included with the system should have a charging port IMO and apparently the ones you can buy separately do.  Nintendo is brutal with the accessories for this thing in terms of price and what's included. 

-It transitions from TV to portable really fast with nearly no interruption.  You don't have to suspend anything or wait for it to load up.  Unlike the Wii U menus, it appears Nintendo went with a snappy processor for the Switch.

-The kickstand is really flimsy and I'm afraid it will break every time I use it.  This is a shame because propping it up on my desk and detaching the joy-con is a configuration I enjoy.  Just be careful with it when you start.

-The cartridges load fast, which is an obvious advantage of using a cartridge vs a disc but one many people online seem to not be aware of. 

-Related to the above, you don't have to install part or all of the game like on Xbox or PS4 if you buy the game physically.  This makes the 32gb storage of the Switch easier to accept.

-Fuck the Pro Controller's price, man. 

-You should already expect this going into a Nintendo system launch, but there are practically no games and no Virtual Console at launch.  Luckily there is a Zelda game available that is shaping up to be one of the best the franchise has seen.

Thanos6

• King
    • View Profile
Re: Switch impressions and general discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:32:02 AM »

I'll most likely be getting this for my birthday in a few months, so hopefully there'll be some great games then.
Writer of The Reformers!

Kallor

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 07:48:37 AM »

I'll most likely be getting this for my birthday in a few months, so hopefully there'll be some great games then.

One thing I think they could have done better, even by Nintendo's regular MO, is to have the ports of old games out closer to launch.  Skyrim and Xenoverse 2 aren't coming out for the switch until the Fall, for example.  Wii U in contrast had a bunch of enhanced versions of this kind of game at launch like Arkham City Armored Edition, AC 3, ME 3, Ninja Gaiden 3 etc.

That said, I don't think it's too much of a negative because when you look at it:

Zelda at launch
Mario Kart for Spring
Splatoon 2 for Summer
Super Mario Odyssey around Christmas

That's a pretty great setup for 1st party, which is why 90% of people buy a Nintendo console.

NeoGreenLantern

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »

The switch is liberal propaganda to get people to be more comfortable with gender fluidity.

Mightily Oats

• Crisis Actor
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »

You should check out the Canadian prices when you start thinking you've got it rough

Crab Master

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:54:33 AM »

Found this video about YouTubers experiencing some defects, or in some cases, outright failure of the system. By all accounts, it seems that they're in the minority

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc9GyiKdHto.