Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Logan aka Jesus christ, everyone gets stabbed in the face  (Read 2127 times)

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
Re: Logan aka Jesus christ, everyone gets stabbed in the face
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2017, 10:22:42 PM »

How do you know that the mitzvahs get me
Logan defender, gyro enthusiast.

Ramz

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2017, 07:09:59 AM »

It's the 3rd mitzvah that does you in

Bandido

• Stonemason
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2017, 07:15:17 AM »

A few hours later review:

Sold on the characters. It was hard to watch Logan hobble around, seeing him struggle to handle things that would have been chump change to him in every other movie - More than that, even walking around it took something of him. Jackman sold the character of Wolverine all the way! The mannerisms, body language, the subtle grunts and eye rolls were all Wolverine, anchored with more humanity than we've seen before. The closest "mythic" portrayal of a fictional character I can compare it with would Stallone's last turn as Rocky in "Creed"! Both roles feel inhabited and lived in. And the visceral grittiness Jackman exudes Logan gives the character a metal ballad over a swan song and the movie is better for it.

Dafne Keen was appropriately animalistic and feral as X-23. Her lines were delivered with a wooden quality that felt character appropriate - Normally I would chalk that up the actress being 12, but her pantomime gestures always hit their mark!

Stewart always good as Xavier - Wish his character didn't go out as a punk.

Critiques:
Those kids could have used there powers and saved Logan.
Sabretooth?
Staying with that family doomed them and Xavier should have known that.

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2017, 01:01:59 PM »

It's the 3rd mitzvah that does you in

Fifthchild

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2017, 03:33:50 PM »

Saw this last week and have to say i came away disappointed given all the hype.

Good
- The first half mostly. Had some great set pieces
- The Las Vegas Professor X brainwave scene was very cool as was the first fight against the mercenary/whatever guys
- Generally not afraid to go to some pretty dark places

Bad
- After Professor X dies the movie really dropped off for me
- Felt they played a bit fast and loose with Logan's healing. In the first scene he is not that far off regular Wolverine (rather take a bullet than have his car get shot) and in the end (before the serum) hes practically a normal guy after getting fucked up by X-24
- Never really felt much of a connection between Logan and his daughter
- The funeral speech was pretty cringeworthy

Basically i felt like they had a great story in their somewhere but they kind of missed the mark - a few great dialogue scenes or whatever really could have made the difference. Instead it kind of coasted by on the fact that Logan was old and he was gonna die and everything had gone too shit and people dropped f-bombs all the time. I know Jackman talked about Unforgiven and wanting to make a story about the price of being a killer but i don't think they really did much with that in the end while at the same time they squandered a lot of potential from the more upfront themes of mortality etc.

I dont think anyone else would agree but i actually liked The Wolverine a fair bit better - i think if a writer like McQuarrie had taken a pass at this it could have been really great.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »

Basically i felt like they had a great story in their somewhere but they kind of missed the mark.

Yeah, I agree. This was the best X-Men movie in years, even though it wasn't really an X-Men movie.

Firstly, why in these movies set dystopian future is "escaping across the border" always seen as a brilliant plan? In a truly dystopian future, Canada and Mexico are going to be as shitty and corrupt as the USA, if not moreso. Do the mutants think it's going to be nothing but poutine and smoked meat as soon as they get into Canada?

Jackman and Stewart were great in their roles, and in their scenes together. They had a fantastic father-son vibe going, and while it was painful to see them in their final days, there were certainly some dark comedic elements, like Logan checking that Xavier took his pills, and Xavier sticking his tongue out like a kid. Our parents become our children, and they did a great job of showing that. It was touching.

Speaking of dark comedy,Stephen Merchant as Caliban was inspiring. I really liked his character, and I would have preferred to see him more, to the point that I would have rather the road trip be about Logan, Xavier and Caliban instead of Laura.

Laura... and the rest of the kids... I just didn't care about them. Maybe they made her too feral. She might have worked better if she had more innocence to protect, that way it would have seemed awful to see her resort to violence. Laura would have also worked better as a boy, and as a son for Logan, to serve as a counterbalance for the father-son relationship between Xavier and Logan.

The rest of the kids seemed little more than a plot device. They were a weak point in the movie and a distraction, and I think they could have been skipped altogether.

Bad guys? Pierce was OK. Better than OK, but not really great. The mad scientist, Dr. Rice, was as generic as they come, and it might have been better to combine his character with Pierce's. It might have also been better if they gave him some moral standing, to give the movie some shades of grey.

The fight scenes were brutal. Really, really brutal. X-24 was beaten a too easily. If "Logan" wasn't an action movie, I'd say it would have been appropriate, but Logan is an action movie.

TL;DR: Great performances by the adults, kids were annoying, story was ok, still a good movie because of the leads.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2017, 02:58:31 PM »

Sexist bastard

NeoGreenLantern

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »

I didn't see Logan as having a dystopian future. Maybe on there way there but the world is closer to our than Hunger Games.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »

I didn't see Logan as having a dystopian future. Maybe on there way there but the world is closer to our than Hunger Games.

Mildly dystopian, where life is a bit cheaper, where hired mercenaries have in some ways replaced the police. Things like that.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

NeoGreenLantern

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2017, 03:58:16 PM »

Even there isn't thing saying its a "true dystopia" like the Hunger Games nor do I think they were going for that so I don't see anything wrong with the run for the border plot line.

Strawman Abridged

• King
  • swiss army knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2017, 06:59:41 AM »

Rice and Corn: Destroyers of Mutantkind

Mutants shouldn't have evolved past Paleo

Mightily Oats

• Crisis Actor
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile