Herochat

Does your comic shop try to add random stuff to your Pull File?

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
Does your comic shop try to add random stuff to your Pull File?
« on: February 18, 2017, 02:13:47 AM »
I brought this up in this topic here, and both RIV & I have the experience of shops just piling new books onto our Pull Files without asking. It's something that annoys me, because some prominent writers are on many books, and they just ASSUME I want to read Waid's Black Widow because I got his Avengers. I guess that it's sometimes random, though at other times it's deliberate.

Sometimes they stick a book I had no intention of getting (Thanos), and when I say no, they're like "REALLY? But it's one of the best books out there!"

Sometimes they even act a little hurt, like I'm costing them money. I'm like "OKAY- I get that shops don't make shit for profits, but I spend eighty bucks a month here; don't make me out to be a dick because I don't want to collect 20 books". It's the kind of thing that's JUST annoying enough to make me consider dropping my File and just going back to grabbing random stuff in whatever store (except I get a discount, and don't end up accidentally buying shit twice because they released two covers and I forgot or something like that).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:08:00 PM by Jabroniville »

therock

• +18/-63
    • View Profile
Re: Does your comic shop try to add random stuff to your Pull File?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 02:39:50 AM »
kind of depending on the comic

Got one stars war run so thus ANYTHING star wars they try to put in thre. And that a SHIT load

same with batman..anything batman..batman in like 50 books

Thanos6

• +8/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »
Since I get Darkwing Duck, they thought I wanted Duck Avenger, but I don't know if that was them thinking I would read that too, or an honest mistake made by the new clerk.
Truten forever!

MTL76

• +1107/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »
I've never had a pull list. If I did, I would appreciate an employee putting an issue aside for me if they thought I'd like it and wanted to bring it to my attention. I wouldn't appreciate an employee just putting one into my pile without saying anything.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Dlbiininja

• +15/-8298
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 05:55:53 PM »
Honestly, never.  That's never been a concern with any of the stores I've bought my books.
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 02:38:36 AM »
I think mine must have an automatic thing in it- when I asked about one book, the guy was like "huh, I think that ____ must have happened". I guess they get theirs electronically, so some things just get caught up in it, though some things are suspicious- Thanos was one. I mean, I was collecting nothing by anyone one the creative team and that ended up in the file. Though they DO just hand the file over and have me double-check everything, so it's not like they're pulling a fast one- I think it's just general "Retail Upselling" by people who know I'm not afraid to spend money or whatever.

Bandido

• +5/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 04:41:46 AM »
Honestly, never.  That's never been a concern with any of the stores I've bought my books.

This.

Upper_Krust

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 01:09:55 PM »
This has happened to me in the past (stopped my pull list 2-3 years ago and was rebuked when I attempted to restart it 2 weeks ago because I didn't choose the minimum 5 titles). But anyway back onto the topic...

What I noticed was that the shop would try to add books that were similar to what I was getting. So if I had Thor they'd add Loki/JIM etc. If I had something cosmic they'd add other cosmic titles.

In a way I don't really have a problem with the idea, I mean its not like they force you to get these extra titles. Its a bit like them saying "Hey have you noticed x, y and z?"

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:17:51 PM »
This has happened to me in the past (stopped my pull list 2-3 years ago and was rebuked when I attempted to restart it 2 weeks ago because I didn't choose the minimum 5 titles). But anyway back onto the topic...

What I noticed was that the shop would try to add books that were similar to what I was getting. So if I had Thor they'd add Loki/JIM etc. If I had something cosmic they'd add other cosmic titles.

In a way I don't really have a problem with the idea, I mean its not like they force you to get these extra titles. Its a bit like them saying "Hey have you noticed x, y and z?"
Yeah, I think that's part of it, too. However, mine tends to have random people there at times, so I don't get that more "personal" approach- instead, it's just "hey there's random stuff in my file", "Ah, it was caught by the system I guess- you want it removed from your file?"

Not BAMF

• +3/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 03:03:30 PM »
It's because they know you're a big baller, dropping Benjamins (or whatever you Canucks have. Loonies, right? Does your money have Henry VIII on it or, like, King Arthur?), and they figure you want all the comics, bro.

Thorne

• +12/-13
  • Born Again Hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »
If there's a crossover event my comic shop guy will add all the associated titles for me, it's not really a big deal since I'll most likely buy them anyway. Not really a fan of all the one-shots they want to add that don't relate to the immediate storyline, I'll toss those back.