Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes

Author Topic: So now that some books are ending/being rebooted, where do you stand on them?  (Read 361 times)

Jabroniville

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile

* I dug the Avengers Idea Mechanics stuff Ewing was writing in his "DaCosta-led Avengers" book. A very funny, quirky book, though he got into that bad habit of going "hey look! Two gay people in love!" with Wiccan & Hulkling, only to shuffle them away in like four issues because they weren't important to the story anymore. But seeing SUNSPOT of all people get an upgrade to this intelligent, sneaky, tactical genius was awesome. U.S. Avengers seems to be a bit more of the same, though I'm not a fan of "random Hulked-up normal guy", and Dr. Ho & Jokkinen/Pod/whatever were the least-interesting characters on the old book- basically tokens there for minority status.

* Inhumans: As eye-roll-inducing as Marvel's Inhumans push has been, it was a well-written book (I even liked the secondary title that only lasted twelve issues). Though they NEVER pushed those new characters as hard as they should- I still felt like I never knew any of the newbies, nor what they were capable of. The writer did a solid job of making Medusa interesting, at least. His two runs add up to a "pretty good" book that I don't regret buying.

* All-New X-Men: Or, as I call it, "The Best Book That Has No Reason To Exist". Seriously, WHY ARE THE TEEN X-MEN STILL AROUND IN THIS TIMELINE?!?! And yet... you kinda see why, as the characters had a solid foundation, and were rather interesting. The great Bagley art (MUCH better than his Fantastic Four stuff, which was probably the nadir of his work, sadly enough) was also a good addition. I'll kind of miss this book.

* Waid's Avengers: Easily the most-disappointed I've been in a new book. The obvious "Minoriteam" Replacement Character status of everyone, and the "Small-Time" day-saving they were doing, was just dreadful. He's much more into proper form in his new Avengers series, this one having lasted only a year.

* Uncanny Avengers: One of the best surprises, as I thought the book was funny, even if the roster was constantly buggered by Strange Events (Thor is Unworthy! Cap is Old! Now Cap is Gone! Now Cable's in charge and Johnny Storm is there for whatever reason! And we have an Inhuman character that nobody bothered to characterize that much- I think Marvel just forced one to be on the book!). MUCH better than the previous Remender run, which started ambling off and never improved. Apparently this one is ending, too.

I'm planning on dropping a bunch of stuff coming up- my shop was kind of doing a lot of "up-selling" ("Hey, we stuck this in your file because you bought a book by Artist X and Writer Y" to the point where I was getting 11-13+ books per month, which was just too much (expensive, AND time-consuming!). I'll cut down heavily on some stuff, and come back and read trades this time around. Much cheaper that way, and I don't end up with disappointments (ugh- a couple years back, they did that second Wolverine and the X-Men series? Which culminated with Logan dying and Quentin Quire was like the main character? And it was AWFUL and way worse than Aaron's run on the previous one? It was one of my "I'll read this later" books, and I've never been so annoyed by how lame and boring a book ended up being- twelve issues of dull).

What stuff are you guys looking forward to in the new books?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:37:56 AM by Jabroniville »

Jabroniville

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile

Thanks for the reviews. A lot of hit & miss there.

As an aside, i hated when my shop'd put things i didnt ask for in my stash. I dislike being rude, but i'd have to be.
RIGHT?!?! I get that mine has an "automatic system", but it literally puts everything related to one comic ("this one features character X!") in my file, and I have to tell them no, and they kind of get that hurt look like I'm costing them money. Like, I GET that comic shops don't make crazy coin, but I can't prop up the entire store by myself. 4-5 bucks a month is really nothing much, but when you add them up? That's how you end up getting 17 books a month.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:33:11 AM by Jabroniville »

Jabroniville

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile

^^^Exactly!
I've only had the issue at a few shops over the years (where i havent gotten friendly with the staff), but its enough to bug me.
Just gimme what i ask for, and suggest here and there, dont literally make ne have to hand you a stack of unwanted books.
If I'd have known that FOUR BOOKS of mine were getting Monsters Unleashed tie-ins, I would have handed some back- I didn't realize until after I'd paid ("huh- an unusually-big day for comics. I know it's been a few weeks, but $140?") that they were tie-ins. Six bucks a pop in Canada, too.

When I handed a guy back Thanos (I don't collect Lemire or Deodato books), he was "REALLY? But it's one of the best books out so far!" I wanted to be like "Dude, I spend like 80 bucks a month here; don't make me be a dick about this."

Gree

• Prince Akeem Joffer
    • View Profile

Thanks for these summaries