Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes

Author Topic: Squadron Supreme is canceled already  (Read 337 times)

Jabroniville

• King
    • View Profile
Squadron Supreme is canceled already
« on: February 14, 2017, 08:40:50 AM »

This James Robinson book just really never got going-- it kind of started well, but once they killed Namor super-anticlimactically, then Nighthawk went off to his ill-advised "how the fuck did anyone ever thing THIS was going to sell past six issues?" solo book, and everyone just kind of settled in and started farting around... I don't think Robinson ever had a concrete plan. Never mind that his Thundra was essentially a completely different character than had ever shown up in Marvel before (using modern slang and acting all casual). Or that Blur hardly had any characterization. And then they do ALL THAT WORK just to resurrect Namor super-anticlimactically in the last couple of issues.

So basically it's fifteen issues of stuff that COULD have been fun (Doctor Druid & Weirdworld was starting to seem like it was going somewhere), but ended up being a whole lot of nothing. If we didn't think Robinson was washed-up before, we sure as hell know it now.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Squadron Supreme is canceled already
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:03 AM »

Cant say i care.
Once the Namor shit happened i wanted nothing to do with it. Only reason i'm responding is to thank you for letting me know he's back.

INDRA THUNDERER

• Mage
  • KISS IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 05:03:41 PM »

It was a complete mess...the idea was sound,but the execution was awful.Hyperion became a totally different character,then his previous Avengers portrayals,the addition of Thundra made no sense,with having Power Princess already.Dr Spectrum being an Inhuman was interesting,with the Black Bolt connect of saving her,but that went nowhere just as quickly...

Jabroniville

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:36:21 AM »

It was a complete mess...the idea was sound,but the execution was awful.Hyperion became a totally different character,then his previous Avengers portrayals,the addition of Thundra made no sense,with having Power Princess already.Dr Spectrum being an Inhuman was interesting,with the Black Bolt connect of saving her,but that went nowhere just as quickly...
It was so bizarre- They were all "We're here to fix the problems of THIS world" but then... they did nothing. They killed Namor (which at least made SENSE, given what he'd done), then... fought a secret society of aliens? Then crossed over with the Inhumans? And then Jim Hammond & SHIELD went after them?

Thundra's inclusion made a LITTLE sense because she's also from another Earth (sorta), but ultimately she didn't even factor into the book. Her & Hyperion could have hooked up or something. Her daughter Lyra never came up until the very end. I don't even know why she was on the book in the first place.

I kinda liked the whole "Two Power Princesses" thing, but again it didn't really go anywhere. And it's not like Robinson didn't have time- this series lasted three issues longer than the friggin' Mark Gruenwald Squadron Supreme. You know- the super well-known, well-respected one? The dude had TONS of time to establish characters, round them out, make them interesting, etc.

Whiskeyclone

• King
  • Legit King of the Hipsters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 04:12:48 PM »

I read the first 6 or so issues and stopped when I stopped buying monthly comics. I thought it was alright - it had a more traditional feel to it than a lot of other stuff Marvel was doing, probably because that's Robinson's style, but it was a nice breath of fresh air. And I'm a longtime Namor fan, didn't care for him getting killed, but I also know that Robinson likes him, too.

A shame it went nowhere according to everyone in this thread.

Hulkster

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:02:43 PM »

The writer stated that Namor was killed with the intention of bringing him back as part of the story.  The problem is that the story wasn't well done and writers are more and more crying wolf with regard to creating anticipation.  Most stories end disappointingly and don't come close to meeting the expectations that writers establish.  I wonder if writers practice the method of writing the ending first and basing the story on the ending. 

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 05:25:40 PM »

Cant say i care.
Once the Namor shit happened i wanted nothing to do with it. Only reason i'm responding is to thank you for letting me know he's back.

Sums up my thoughts as well.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Hulkster

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »

I read the first 6 or so issues and stopped when I stopped buying monthly comics. I thought it was alright - it had a more traditional feel to it than a lot of other stuff Marvel was doing, probably because that's Robinson's style, but it was a nice breath of fresh air. And I'm a longtime Namor fan, didn't care for him getting killed, but I also know that Robinson likes him, too.

A shame it went nowhere according to everyone in this thread.

Yes, Robinson likes him and I think that his death and coming back was part of a plan to tie him to the team, possibly as their Aquaman.  So while it's a harsh death, I'm not sure why Namor fans take it so negatively.  Namor does well physically against Hyperion and it takes a heat related attack to take him out.