• View Profile
Re: Danny McBride and David Gordon Green Halloween Remake
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 07:02:52 PM »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-halloween-will-take-place-after-the-first-two-1792235119

So the movie will take place just after the first two Myers movies.

The Shuruku Demon

• +13/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »
Halloween: H20 and Resurrection ignored everything except the first two films as well (the original screeplay for H20 loosely acknowledged the Jamie Lloyd stuff from H4-6, but all references to that were removed from the finished product).

Not a fan of the Zombie films at all. Tried to humanize Michael too much, I like McDowell, but he wasn't as memorable as Donald Pleasance, and the girl who played Laurie wasn't half as endearing as Jamie Lee Curtis. In fact, it wouldn't be far off the mark to say that each new Halloween film was worse than the last. Hopefully, with Carpenter on board, we'll finally get a sequel that bucks that trend.

The Shuruku Demon

• +13/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 10:17:29 PM »
If they're looking to revive the franchise long-term, I think they should seriously consider ignoring everything except the first film. Not that I dislike Halloween 2 on the whole, but I think the revelation that Laurie was Michael's sister was a mistake that somewhat bogged the franchise down in subsequent sequels.

Carpenter himself seemed to hint that he wasn't really happy with that element, and that he came up with it because Darth Vader had recently been revealed as Luke Skywalker's father at the time he was writing the script, and he just couldn't think of any other way to progress the story of the first film.

I think Michael works better as a killer who stalks teenage girls in general, especially slutty ones, as he unconsciously associates them with his older sister, Judith (the apparent premise of the first film), rather than as a killer who is specifically obsessed with hunting down all his relatives (the premise of the inferior sequels).

The Shuruku Demon

• +13/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 12:53:18 PM »
Thanks. The creative limits imposed by the family angle are especially conspicuous in the fourth film, where they couldn't get Jamie Lee Curtis back, and had to create a brand new relative for Michael to pursue (Jamie Lloyd), while also relaying through dialogue that Laurie died in an off-screen car crash, which coincidentally is how her and Michael's biological parents are supposed to have died as well.

Then they couldn't get Danielle Harris back to play Jamie Lloyd in Halloween 6, and had to recast the character with a different actress, and make Jamie a mother at age 15 in order to provide Michael with yet another new relative to chase once she was killed off.

That was a real waste too, because if you were going to have recurring protagonists, Jamie Lloyd is one they should've stuck with, considering how good Danielle Harris had been in the role, and what a babe she grew up to be. And from what I gather, the main reason she didn't come back was because of the way her character was bumped off early in the film. Didn't seem like she was reluctant to continue with the franchise otherwise. She certainly wasn't reluctant to do other horror films.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:33:05 PM by The Shuruku Demon »

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 10:37:43 PM »
Think Kenny Powers will show up?

HalloweenJack

• +13/-5
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 01:41:55 PM »
I'd read in a Fango interview a few years ago that Harris didn't come back due to money issues.

The Shuruku Demon

• +13/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »
Here's what Harris had to say about it in the 25 Years Later documentary:

"I didn't care for the script. I didn't really like the way Jamie Lloyd died. I had alot of fans that sort of loved me, and for her to go out like that, I thought it was pretty crappy. So I met with the director, and we sort of talked about different things, and ways we could kind of work stuff out, and wasn't really seeing eye to eye. So then it became, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to make a little bit of money. Miramax basically said your character is a scale plus 10 character, because you die in the first act, which is about what I made on [Halloween 4] about 8 years before. So I said okay, if that's the way you think about me, even though this will be my third movie, then I don't think I'll be doing it."

So it sounds like money was an issue, but judging by the way she phrases it, her character had already been scripted to die before they even got around to discussing her fee.