Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you ever sell your old comics?  (Read 557 times)

Jabroniville

• King
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever sell your old comics?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 06:44:56 AM »

I used to have probably about 5-7 thousand comics, that I sold off in parts over the years. Usually when I thought I needed some extra cash for something. The biggest sells I had was a complete run of 100 issues of Nightwing I sold for 300 bucks, and a complete run of Deadpool, about 75 issues I sold for 400.

Then as I kept having kids, the room the comics were stored kept getting moved to a different room till finally they ended up in a closet. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I would never read those comics again, and if I wanted to, I could just easily download them, so I sold the rest for 450 bucks.

Now looking back, I wish I hadn't, I couldn't tell you what I spent the money on.
I wanna say that was a ton of comics, but I just sold 91 and barely put a dent in a single short-box. I probably at least as many as that (just judging by the size of 100 comics in one of my bags, I could put like 30 of them in my shelves).

Yeah, the money's a tricky thing. Figuring that I wouldn't ever read Nu52 Birds of Prey or Huntress/Power Girl again, I thought nothing of dropping them at a bookstore for like 22 bucks. Barely a drop in the bucket- two days' worth of food if you're on a budget.

Bran Mak Morn

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 11:49:25 AM »

The only thing I ever sold was my copy of Bob Kane's autobiography (& history of Batman).
I think only 500 copies were published & autographed.

It was frustrating wanting to read the dam thing but not wanting to break the plastic seal & jeopardise it's mint condition.

From memory I bought it for $250 & sold it for $75....after I finally opened & read it.

On the other hand, I've bought single issues off Ebay of comics I've remembered from my childhood.
"It's funny how,"You're so funny" turns into,"You think everything's a fucking joke!" in just 3 months...

Jabroniville

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 11:37:23 PM »

Had a pretty good time selling my old shit a few weeks back- since I was a long-time customer, they bought a bunch of random stuff (some of Johns's early Teen Titans stuff, Winick's Outsiders, etc.), and a few Trades (the out-of-print Flash-Venom one, and Necrosha) for 75 bucks.

And then, of course, they were interested in New Mutants #98, a book once so innocuous that I got it as part of "100 New Mutants issues for $100" last time they did a sale on "multi-pack" books. So for the price of about a dollar (it was missing some books), I sold it for friggin' *$175* in store credit, because of course that movie came out and suddenly this piece of shit book I was keeping in a bag with fifty other ones is now worth a freakin' mint, even though it was graded at like 5.5-6.0. Unbelievable how this works.

Of course, it broke up my "perfect run" on the book, but that shit is easy to replace via Trades or whatever.

ProjectCornDog

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 12:20:22 AM »

Never, and considering how some of my older comics randomly get slightly damaged (comics fall over in the box they're in, etc) I should start selling the ones I have zero connection to.

Bran Mak Morn

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »

And then, of course, they were interested in New Mutants #98, a book once so innocuous that I got it as part of "100 New Mutants issues for $100" last time they did a sale on "multi-pack" books.

I'm a big fan of Bill Sienkiewicz's artwork, especially his run on early New Mutants & The Demon Bear saga.

About 2 years ago, out of curiosity I tracked those couple issues down on Ebay.
Some chick in Germany had the issues I wanted. Not mint condition & she was only asking about $US3 an issue.
Man, she had thousands of comics that were individually scanned with a brief written detail of the storyline just to sell for a couple of dollars on Ebay.
"It's funny how,"You're so funny" turns into,"You think everything's a fucking joke!" in just 3 months...

Jabroniville

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »

And then, of course, they were interested in New Mutants #98, a book once so innocuous that I got it as part of "100 New Mutants issues for $100" last time they did a sale on "multi-pack" books.

I'm a big fan of Bill Sienkiewicz's artwork, especially his run on early New Mutants & The Demon Bear saga.

Some chick in Germany had the issues I wanted. Not mint condition & she was only asking about $US3 an issue.
Man, she had thousands of comics that were individually scanned with a brief written detail of the storyline just to sell for a couple of dollars on Ebay.
Yeah, The New Mutants was one of the best comic book runs of all time... until Louise Simonson took over and it went to shit. It was really circling the drain until Rob Liefeld became the major creator, at which point it was horrible... but like that ENTERTAINING kind of horrible that makes it a bit fun to read. Deadpool's debut issue is hilarious in how he shows up, talks some shit, and is immediately KO'd by a sneak attack. It's a wonder this guy ever went on to become a popular character- a lot of Wade's popularity is owed to Fabian Nicieza's early writing, and the cool costume design.

Mightily Oats

• Crisis Actor
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »

Yeah, The New Mutants was one of the best comic book runs of all time... until Louise Simonson took over and it went to shit. It was really circling the drain until Rob Liefeld became the major creator, at which point it was horrible... but like that ENTERTAINING kind of horrible that makes it a bit fun to read. Deadpool's debut issue is hilarious in how he shows up, talks some shit, and is immediately KO'd by a sneak attack. It's a wonder this guy ever went on to become a popular character- a lot of Wade's popularity is owed to Fabian Nicieza's early writing, and the cool costume design.
I agree with you on New Mutants, but you're dead fucking wrong on Nicieza making Deadpool a name. That was Joe Kelly.

Nicieza's Deadpool is fucking terrible

Both before Kelly, and after Kelly

Nicieza is one of the better comic writers, but his Deadpool is horrible and one of the shining examples of everything that can be wrong with the character
Pages: 1 [2]