Herochat

Do you ever sell your old comics?

Bran Mak Morn

• +8/-13
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever sell your old comics?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 06:49:25 AM »
The only thing I ever sold was my copy of Bob Kane's autobiography (& history of Batman).
I think only 500 copies were published & autographed.

It was frustrating wanting to read the dam thing but not wanting to break the plastic seal & jeopardise it's mint condition.

From memory I bought it for $250 & sold it for $75....after I finally opened & read it.

On the other hand, I've bought single issues off Ebay of comics I've remembered from my childhood.

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 07:37:23 PM »
Had a pretty good time selling my old shit a few weeks back- since I was a long-time customer, they bought a bunch of random stuff (some of Johns's early Teen Titans stuff, Winick's Outsiders, etc.), and a few Trades (the out-of-print Flash-Venom one, and Necrosha) for 75 bucks.

And then, of course, they were interested in New Mutants #98, a book once so innocuous that I got it as part of "100 New Mutants issues for $100" last time they did a sale on "multi-pack" books. So for the price of about a dollar (it was missing some books), I sold it for friggin' *$175* in store credit, because of course that movie came out and suddenly this piece of shit book I was keeping in a bag with fifty other ones is now worth a freakin' mint, even though it was graded at like 5.5-6.0. Unbelievable how this works.

Of course, it broke up my "perfect run" on the book, but that shit is easy to replace via Trades or whatever.

ProjectCornDog

• +1/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 08:20:22 PM »
Never, and considering how some of my older comics randomly get slightly damaged (comics fall over in the box they're in, etc) I should start selling the ones I have zero connection to.

Bran Mak Morn

• +8/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »

And then, of course, they were interested in New Mutants #98, a book once so innocuous that I got it as part of "100 New Mutants issues for $100" last time they did a sale on "multi-pack" books.

I'm a big fan of Bill Sienkiewicz's artwork, especially his run on early New Mutants & The Demon Bear saga.

About 2 years ago, out of curiosity I tracked those couple issues down on Ebay.
Some chick in Germany had the issues I wanted. Not mint condition & she was only asking about $US3 an issue.
Man, she had thousands of comics that were individually scanned with a brief written detail of the storyline just to sell for a couple of dollars on Ebay.

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 06:28:52 AM »

And then, of course, they were interested in New Mutants #98, a book once so innocuous that I got it as part of "100 New Mutants issues for $100" last time they did a sale on "multi-pack" books.

I'm a big fan of Bill Sienkiewicz's artwork, especially his run on early New Mutants & The Demon Bear saga.

Some chick in Germany had the issues I wanted. Not mint condition & she was only asking about $US3 an issue.
Man, she had thousands of comics that were individually scanned with a brief written detail of the storyline just to sell for a couple of dollars on Ebay.
Yeah, The New Mutants was one of the best comic book runs of all time... until Louise Simonson took over and it went to shit. It was really circling the drain until Rob Liefeld became the major creator, at which point it was horrible... but like that ENTERTAINING kind of horrible that makes it a bit fun to read. Deadpool's debut issue is hilarious in how he shows up, talks some shit, and is immediately KO'd by a sneak attack. It's a wonder this guy ever went on to become a popular character- a lot of Wade's popularity is owed to Fabian Nicieza's early writing, and the cool costume design.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-575
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »

Yeah, The New Mutants was one of the best comic book runs of all time... until Louise Simonson took over and it went to shit. It was really circling the drain until Rob Liefeld became the major creator, at which point it was horrible... but like that ENTERTAINING kind of horrible that makes it a bit fun to read. Deadpool's debut issue is hilarious in how he shows up, talks some shit, and is immediately KO'd by a sneak attack. It's a wonder this guy ever went on to become a popular character- a lot of Wade's popularity is owed to Fabian Nicieza's early writing, and the cool costume design.
I agree with you on New Mutants, but you're dead fucking wrong on Nicieza making Deadpool a name. That was Joe Kelly.

Nicieza's Deadpool is fucking terrible

Both before Kelly, and after Kelly

Nicieza is one of the better comic writers, but his Deadpool is horrible and one of the shining examples of everything that can be wrong with the character

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 06:44:20 AM »
He was never THAT amusing to me (though I did like "and quit bleeding on me"), but the fact that he was a bit funny is what kept him in fans' minds. Kelly, of course, was a much bigger reason why Wade hit a bit bigger, but if Nicieza hadn't done the legwork early on, then the character would have been just another forgotten Liefeld creation, like Kane or Grizzly.

Clownprince23

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 08:58:38 AM »

I agree with you on New Mutants, but you're dead fucking wrong on Nicieza making Deadpool a name. That was Joe Kelly.

Nicieza's Deadpool is fucking terrible

Both before Kelly, and after Kelly

Nicieza is one of the better comic writers, but his Deadpool is horrible and one of the shining examples of everything that can be wrong with the character

Yes, 100 Percent. I started reading Deadpool with Kelly and got hooked, had to pick up every issue possible. Got the two minis before and it was nothing like the ongoing. It was okay, but pretty much your typical early 90's comic.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-575
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 03:20:34 AM »
He was never THAT amusing to me (though I did like "and quit bleeding on me"), but the fact that he was a bit funny is what kept him in fans' minds. Kelly, of course, was a much bigger reason why Wade hit a bit bigger, but if Nicieza hadn't done the legwork early on, then the character would have been just another forgotten Liefeld creation, like Kane or Grizzly.
"I agree that it wasn't Nicieza, but I'm still going to say it was Nicieza"

LAWDY LAWDY

That "early legwork" meant nothing to what Kelly did with the character.

Jabroniville

• +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »
Of course it did, you oaf! Deadpool would never have been popular enough in the first place to get Kelly on the book, had Nicieza not written him first!

OAF!!

Mightily Oats

• +72/-575
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 05:43:00 AM »
Of course it did, you oaf! Deadpool would never have been popular enough in the first place to get Kelly on the book, had Nicieza not written him first!

OAF!!
I don't go around saying that without Stan Lee's early legwork, Chris Claremont wouldn't have been able to turn Magneto into one of comic book's greatest characters.

Because that just wouldn't make sense.

Creators get their names in the credits, but they shouldn't get the props for making a character a great one if they had nothing to do with that greatness.