Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you ever sell your old comics?  (Read 852 times)

Jabroniville

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
Do you ever sell your old comics?
« on: February 10, 2017, 05:40:28 AM »

I've kind of started doing this- the money isn't terrific, but it's something, and I usually have an insane backlog of books I'll probably never read again- it can REALLY cram up your closet space. I think I keep most of my "classics", but the older I get, the less I feel I need Elfquest #4 which I have for some reason. Modern runs of Nu52 stuff? I can probably dump most of that.

Though I had an annoying thing at the local bookstore, giving away some Nu52 stuff for 25 cents an issue. Assuming most modern DC stuff is worthless, I was a bit put out to see that the Suicide Squad #1 I gave away has sold for $40 on eBay!! A salesman, I am not.

MTL76

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever sell your old comics?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:36:05 AM »

I sold some when I was in high school. To clear out space, as you say. They weren't a great investment back then, and I'd assume it's worse now, what with the rise of digital (and pirated) comics.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

MTL76

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 06:57:01 AM »

What I did was I put ten comics in a manilla envelope, then made a hundred of these, and put a few random rare issues in a few of them, then put up a sign saying so. I sold each of them for a five  bucks. The customers were happy because they had a chance to get a great issue, and even if they didn't they got some stuff to read for a good price. I was happy because I wound up getting rid of a lot of stock and making more money than if I had just tried to sell each individually.

People love to gamble. I got the idea from how baseball cards are packaged.

Thanos6

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »

Yeah, I'm working on cutting back.  It used to be I'd buy basically any Marvel back issues and a decent chuck of DC.  Plus my dad likes to always have something to collect.  It used to be beer cans, but he sold those to buy our first house, so when I started getting into comics, he latched onto helping me hunt those down.  Sometimes he was more excited to find them than I was!

Now that my parents are both retired, my mom wants more space in their house, and I realized I'm never going to re-read 90% of my collection, so we've started selling them off, or if there's any neighborhood kids who're interested, even give them away. I'm keeping just my absolute favorites or high-value issues. (I'm doing the same with a lot of the stuff around my own apartment, trying to fight my natural hoarder tendencies, though thankfully I'm nowhere near as bad as the people on that TV show)

I just wonder what Dad will start collecting next...
Truten forever!

scourge

• King Jaffe Joffer
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:36:27 AM »

What I did was I put ten comics in a manilla envelope, then made a hundred of these, and put a few random rare issues in a few of them, then put up a sign saying so. I sold each of them for a five  bucks. The customers were happy because they had a chance to get a great issue, and even if they didn't they got some stuff to read for a good price. I was happy because I wound up getting rid of a lot of stock and making more money than if I had just tried to sell each individually.

People love to gamble. I got the idea from how baseball cards are packaged.

Where did you sell them?

MTL76

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 01:37:30 PM »

A flea market in a community center in Queens.

Dlbiininja

• Norbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »

I have yet to sell any comics.  I've been meaning to go through and check for doubles and unusual comics.  Like ones with double covers, had an issue of Wolverine where half of the pages were upside down and backwards in the order of the story.  I'm sure those would probably bring a bit more. 

Gree

• Prince Akeem Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 10:15:25 PM »

No

Von Doom

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »

Sold? No. I have thrown out my entire collection twice though. I get in moods sometimes.

Jabroniville

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 03:18:53 AM »

That sucks about the SS issue.
Selling comics one by one, trying to get the best price for each, seems way too much trouble though.

About your question, not really.
I have part of my garage dedicated to my comics, with no plans to ever get rid of them.
I've told the story here before about my mom selling my childhood collection and me never speaking to her again; i really like my books.
Yeah, the guy at the bookstore was like "oh yeah, this is worth it just for this one! I like the art!", so I curiously checked eBay, and found that this comic, from like four friggin' years ago, was worth a TON! Granted, I wasn't gonna go on eBay and hope someone bit, and I don't feel like going around to comic book shops and haggling, so it might be for the best.

Selling books is kind... I dunno, emotionally satisfying? In a dorky sort of way. You make money (not much; not even close to paying for the original purchase) AND you clear up space! My book stockpile is ridiculous anyhow- two bookcases over six feet tall, two little ones about four feet tall, and a part of ANOTHER bookcase are full of the things, plus a "Banker's Box" full of NuDCU and two grocery store bags full of Marvel's post-2012 output. I have a pretty big apartment and live solo, so I'm not crammed for space, but I don't feel like just dumping stuff in the storage room (which is only 1/10th full, tops). Also, HOLY CRAP would moving be a pain in the dick with this amount of stuff. Moving six years ago was a nuisance thanks to all my books- doing so NOW would be agonizing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:39:05 AM by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack

• Prince Akeem Joffer
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 07:41:36 PM »

I went to sell some of mine about ten years ago. Had probably over 150 comics I was going to get rid of. Went to my old comics shop I had gone to when I was in college. The hipster that was running it said he'd give me maybe 15 bucks.

I politely declined his offer and still have those.

Kallor

• Norbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 07:53:52 PM »

It's harder to sell comic collections than most people think.  You could have some very valuable stuff but finding people to buy it is usually impossible locally and time/money consuming to do online with the kind of certification and/or other proof necessary to command a decent price.

Jabroniville

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 12:55:19 AM »

It's harder to sell comic collections than most people think.  You could have some very valuable stuff but finding people to buy it is usually impossible locally and time/money consuming to do online with the kind of certification and/or other proof necessary to command a decent price.
Yeah, the best I can get is 25 cents an issue at a local bookstore (twice that in store credit). I can probably sell a few trades for a bit more.

Clownprince23

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »

I used to have probably about 5-7 thousand comics, that I sold off in parts over the years. Usually when I thought I needed some extra cash for something. The biggest sells I had was a complete run of 100 issues of Nightwing I sold for 300 bucks, and a complete run of Deadpool, about 75 issues I sold for 400.

Then as I kept having kids, the room the comics were stored kept getting moved to a different room till finally they ended up in a closet. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I would never read those comics again, and if I wanted to, I could just easily download them, so I sold the rest for 450 bucks.

Now looking back, I wish I hadn't, I couldn't tell you what I spent the money on.

Jabroniville

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 01:44:56 AM »

I used to have probably about 5-7 thousand comics, that I sold off in parts over the years. Usually when I thought I needed some extra cash for something. The biggest sells I had was a complete run of 100 issues of Nightwing I sold for 300 bucks, and a complete run of Deadpool, about 75 issues I sold for 400.

Then as I kept having kids, the room the comics were stored kept getting moved to a different room till finally they ended up in a closet. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I would never read those comics again, and if I wanted to, I could just easily download them, so I sold the rest for 450 bucks.

Now looking back, I wish I hadn't, I couldn't tell you what I spent the money on.
I wanna say that was a ton of comics, but I just sold 91 and barely put a dent in a single short-box. I probably at least as many as that (just judging by the size of 100 comics in one of my bags, I could put like 30 of them in my shelves).

Yeah, the money's a tricky thing. Figuring that I wouldn't ever read Nu52 Birds of Prey or Huntress/Power Girl again, I thought nothing of dropping them at a bookstore for like 22 bucks. Barely a drop in the bucket- two days' worth of food if you're on a budget.
Pages: [1] 2