Legion
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
Talk about it

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Legion
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 01:22:25 AM »
I was originally thinking that many of the other characters could just be David's alters, but since they went with paranoid schizophrenia instead of DID and next week's episode trailer had Mrs Bird saying his mental illness wasn't real and just a result of his powers, I don't know if they're going to go into multiple personalities at all. That seems like a weird choice. I still wasn't convinced that at least some of them weren't alters, but the wikipedia write-up has info on several of the characters making it likely they are all real people.

That being said, the Sydney/Cyndi thing is another odd choice. Why give a character a name so close to one of Legion's most dominate personalities if there isn't supposed to be a connection? The rescue scene with the obvious pyrokinetic display seems to also link the comic and show characters a bit, but, again, I don't know if that was intended.

Also, why name your character after the bassist from Pink Floyd? Could that be a hint that at least Sydney isn't real, that David might have just been a Floyd fan and named one of his alters after him? But again, the chick, Lenny I think her name was, that ended up in the wall (fucking hell) also saw Sydney. Now I'm wondering if everyone in that group therapy session could have been an alter. Shit. Fucking unreliable narrator.

The little yellow-eyed goblin seems similar to another Legion alter, the Fiend. That is before the Fiend morphs into a Charles Xavier-looking guy. The Fiend had precog abilities, so I was trying to see if his appearance could have been during moments where David was actually getting a glimpse of the future.

Anyway, I don't really know how I feel about this yet. It's pretty surreal, which is fine, but I don't want oddity for its own sake. I'll give it a couple more.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:24:18 AM by Von Doom »

Whiskeyclone

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:15:51 AM »
I watched the premiere yesterday. Good shit - Taboo would have been lucky to have a pilot half as fun and interesting. If West World wasn't so recent this would easily be the headiest first episode of anything in a good while.

JAXN

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 11:32:36 AM »
I haven't watched the second ep yet but the pilot was very entertaining. This show has potential to be special

Whiskeyclone

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 02:31:11 PM »
I like the look the way they're handling and presenting what I assume has to be the Shadow King. I hope the series can keep its feel once it's been going for a while and gets more familiar,  but it shouldn't have a problem there at least as long as they have him to deal with.

I also like how fallible and out of their depths the people at the school are being portrayed, rather than having all the answers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:33:26 PM by Whiskeyclone »

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »
I like the look the way they're handling and presenting what I assume has to be the Shadow King. I hope the series can keep its feel once it's been going for a while and gets more familiar,  but it shouldn't have a problem there at least as long as they have him to deal with.

I also like how fallible and out of their depths the people at the school are being portrayed, rather than having all the answers.

I'm thinking Shadow King too. Underdog contender being Mojo.

JAXN

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
Chapter 3 was great and creepy as hell.  I've heard of the Mojo speculation but Shadow King would be interesting. Didn't David have a personality that resembled a balding fat guy? If I'm not mistaken that personality used his tk?

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »
The TK personality was Jack Wayne. He kind of looked like Dan Severn. The Fiend starts out as a yellow-eyed goblin thing before morphing into Prof X. It was a Precog.

NeoGreenLantern

• +55/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:53:39 AM »
Chapter 3 was great and creepy as hell.  I've heard of the Mojo speculation but Shadow King would be interesting. Didn't David have a personality that resembled a balding fat guy? If I'm not mistaken that personality used his tk?

Shadow King makes more sense to me since he has a history with David in the comics. Mojo would be more interesting though.

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 11:09:24 PM »
I've heard the Mojo thing before, but I just don't see how he would fit into this story. Shadow King does make sense, but I'm still going with the idea that the yellow-eyed demon is some manifestation of David's own mind rather than an outside entity.

If anyone is interested, there's youtuber who does full breakdowns of each episode. I've watched his first two videos, and they're pretty solid. If nothing else, his discussion of the symbolism in the show is worth the watch.

Here's a link to the first video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQqr_PTEXeM

Master

• +34/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 04:18:39 PM »
Well, the dog in his memories is named King. And when in David's memory, Bird follows the sound of a dog to David's old room before being attacked as the yellow-eyed demon shows up.

I think that's a decent clue to the demon being Shadow King. I still think David is crazy, but he's been driven by a combo of his powers and Shadow King. And either Shadow King or someone else placed a bunch of mental barriers in David's mind (since even when sedated, certain blocks seemed present).
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Von Doom

• +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »
Doctor, we didn't have a dog.

Okay, well that episode was somewhat maddening, but at least it half-answered the question of the yellow eyed guy. The two conversations where things were almost discussed and answers were almost given(David and Oliver, David and Lenny) - those can go fuck themselves.

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »
Shadow King dog/Lenny/Benny pretty much confirmed by clues. We must be an ep or two from getting full confirmation.

Mightily Oats

• +72/-575
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »
SHADOW KING????????????

Master

• +34/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »
SHADOW KING????????????

Unless they pull a swerve, it appears that Shadow King is on this show and has been after Legion since childhood. Possibly trying to slowly take over his mind? Or maybe Legion (or someone else) trapped Shadow King in his mind. Hard to tell if SK is trying to break out or trying to break in, as David's mind is a giant fucking mess of false memories and mental barriers.