Herochat

Are Vitamins & Supplements Effective?

Bran Mak Morn

• +7/-13
    • View Profile
Are Vitamins & Supplements Effective?
« on: February 08, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »
I injured my ankle about 10 years ago & it's never healed fully.
Every few months I get a sharp nagging pain that takes days to subside.
The doc says it could be arthritis setting in.

So the chick at the pharmacy gets me to buy multi vits, fish oil capsules, magnesium/citrate & glucosamine/chondroitin pills.

I've been swallowing 12 pills a day for the past several weeks & have no idea if they're actually effective or not.
Even my doc suggested they may be a waste of money...

Anyone else popping pills?

XerxesTWD

• +40/-17
    • View Profile
Re: Are Vitamins & Supplements Effective?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:13:59 AM »
I've seen conflicting research on glucosamine sulfate tablets for joint recovery. It has worked for me.

Bran Mak Morn

• +7/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:27:27 AM »
What were the notable changes to know it worked & over what time frame?

NeoGreenLantern

• +45/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:31:47 AM »
I have arthritis and it helps but that is different than an injury. The problem with supplements is that its a completely unregulated industry and a good portion of supplements aren't even what they say they are. What you think you are taking isn't what you think you are taking.

Of course you're in Australia so maybe the regulations are different. You should look into it.

Bran Mak Morn

• +7/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:50:56 AM »
I'm pissing bright yellow everyday.
Kinda juz makes me think all the supplements I'm taking is juz being wasted away.

Yeah I'll definitely look into the regulations here. Gut feeling says they're a lot more stricter here.

XerxesTWD

• +40/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:14:08 AM »
What were the notable changes to know it worked & over what time frame?
I hurt my knee going down some stairs. There were seed pods or something and they rolled when I stepped on them. I was carrying a box down and strained it pretty bad. I wore a compression sleeve and took it easy for a couple months, icing and doing basic stretching but it didn't help.

Friend of mine plays hockey and had bad knees from a hyperextension when we were kids. He started taking it and his knees don't hurt any longer. I gave it a try and within 2 weeks I was doing back squats and deadlifts again. At a lower weight, but progressing again after months of babying the knee.

Bran Mak Morn

• +7/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 07:18:53 PM »
Yeah when my son was 2 he would  stand on my right foot, gripping my leg & we'd run down the corridor...something strained pretty bad.
X-rays couldn't find the damage, physio helped a little but I more or les had a limp for 6 months.

These days the pain comes & goes. Usually I wake up to a sore foot & then the pain intensifies to sharp spasms then subsides a few days later.

I guess time will tell if all those sups I'm taking will make a difference.

nu-safado

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »
A few tricks

1 - Brand makes a difference. Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM are proven effective. The trick is getting the right dose and from a brand that actually has the amount advertised on the label. You can check out US consumer reports to see what supplement companies are delivering as promised. Those 3 supps were developed for arthritis, they should help joint pain.

2 - Some research shows that hydro aleuronic acid is very effective in lubricating joints (and is great for skin care). I'm not sure what supplements have it, but google and check. It will help a ton.

3 - If you're peeing bright yellow it usually means protein or other waste products are being excreted. Check my #1 tip and make sure the supps are right. Are you using any protein supplements? Other kinds - that will affect youtr pee as will your general diet. Too light could mean a lack of hydration

Bran Mak Morn

• +7/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 09:13:39 PM »

3 - If you're peeing bright yellow it usually means protein or other waste products are being excreted. Check my #1 tip and make sure the supps are right. Are you using any protein supplements? Other kinds - that will affect youtr pee as will your general diet. Too light could mean a lack of hydration

Cheers for the info.

Yeah my piss went bright yellow only when I started taking the supps.

My doc says they're pretty much pointless i.e.: the amount of $ they cost vs long term positive yet minimal effects.
Says I'm better off treating the injury with proper medication than relying on supplements.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 12:46:07 AM »
Depends on what nutrients you got going in your diet I suppose.

Always felt it was better to eat it straight from food if you could.

Nothing wrong with rounding out the edges I suppose; avoid vitamin B supposedly some kind of link with cancer there I remember hearing some where.

XerxesTWD

• +40/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 09:41:40 PM »
It's pretty much always better to eat out from food. Unfortunately, some foods inhibit your body's ability to absorb certain nutrients.

That's where the well-chosen supplements come into play. Plus, if you're trying to build muscle mass, unless you want to eat every fucking chicken in this room, you have to do the supplements.

Eating can get very tedious when you're bulking.

Dlbiininja

• +15/-8298
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 12:52:09 AM »
Do you drink or take any other mess that my prevent proper absorption.  I'd avoid the hard pills and go with the gel types.  It's been proven most people shit supps out or piss it away.  I'll look up some books I have you could check out or find the updated versions.
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/ 

Bran Mak Morn

• +7/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 04:43:56 AM »
The multi vits are hard pills.
The magnesium & fish oil are gel.

Honestly after 2 months of taking them, I kinda feel no different.
My ankle injury flares up every couple of months so it's hard to determine whether the pills have prevented another flare up or I simply wasn't "due" for one in the past 2 months.

Once I run out of this batch, I probably won't be buying anymore.

LordofBrooklyn

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 04:45:54 PM »

My ankle injury flares up every couple of months so it's hard to determine whether the pills have prevented another flare up or I simply wasn't "due" for one in the past 2 months.

1.Turmeric
2.Ginger Root
3.Magnesium Chelate

Reduce your meat intake if not totally then to 3 times a week.

Dlbiininja

• +15/-8298
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 02:40:44 AM »

How much do you weigh and what types of shoes are you weighing?  Have you ever been to say new balance to get properly fitted for your shoes?  And how oft are you changing your shoes out? 

The main reason I bring up new balance is so they can help you with your step.  They'll get you a better shoe based upon your stride, supination & pronation of your step.  Having fucked up my right ankle playing basketball by coming down on someone's foot, and later that year football getting it grabbed during tackling drills and yanked back as I'm slipping a tackle.  I tend to supinate a bit more.  Which is the turning of my ankle inwards more.  When I ran track later on I tended to place the wight on the edge of my right foot as a result of that.  They'll also check out the arch of you foot which will affect pro/and supination of the foot.  and stop sitting on your wallet it affects the hips.  Take it out when you sit down. 
My negative Karma correlates to the amount of butthurt I've caused you! 
blowmeuptom.com/   https://www.facebook.com/tomleykisshow/
http://garyanddino.com/