Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anyone interested in "America"?  (Read 1112 times)

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in "America"?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:08:26 AM »

This seems doable.

Jabroniville

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »

I just find it funny that she was in The Ultimates for like two years before somebody explained what her powers were.

She's still a ways ahead of Nightmask and that sister of his- those two NEVER had their powers explained.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 05:54:09 AM »

I've read a bit more on this, and may have to change my mind.
Seems like theyre looking to beat us over the head with certain things and i'd prefer less of that and more super stuff.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 11:33:35 AM »

No, not really interested, not off of what I've read of her in the Ultimates or Young Avengers.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »

See, that stuff i liked (Ultimates).

shadowknight

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »

Not interested  with few exceptions Marvel has a terrible record with writing Top Tier lvl characters. Freedom Ring, most of SS run, Hyperion just to name a few.

Hulkster

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »

I just find it funny that she was in The Ultimates for like two years before somebody explained what her powers were.

She's still a ways ahead of Nightmask and that sister of his- those two NEVER had their powers explained.

The Ultimates has been out for only 16 months.  I'm not sure where this specific explanation of her powers you refer to.  Pretty much everything she does now she was shown doing in Young Avengers.  What we don't know are the specifics surrounding her origin.  We've only gotten vague hints.

Hulkster

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »

Seems like theyre looking to beat us over the head with certain things and i'd prefer less of that and more super stuff.

It does appear agenda driven by a writer with a social agenda.  What bothers me a bit are the number of images with her smiling.  For the most part, throughout her history, MAC doesn't smile.  She basically always has attitude.

Hulkster

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 02:21:53 PM »

Not interested  with few exceptions Marvel has a terrible record with writing Top Tier lvl characters. Freedom Ring, most of SS run, Hyperion just to name a few.

Depends on the writer.  Marvel tends to put Bendis on a lot of stuff and he totally screws up top tier powers.

JAXN

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »

The Ultimates has been out for only 16 months.  I'm not sure where this specific explanation of her powers you refer to.  Pretty much everything she does now she was shown doing in Young Avengers.  What we don't know are the specifics surrounding her origin.  We've only gotten vague hints.
We also don't know just how powerful she is. I'll be checking this book out to learn more about her.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 03:39:26 PM »

It does appear agenda driven by a writer with a social agenda.  What bothers me a bit are the number of images with her smiling.  For the most part, throughout her history, MAC doesn't smile.  She basically always has attitude.
Yeah, the more articles i read, the more i hot your initial impression.
I like what the writer has to say, but it seems its all she's trying to say. I've reas nothing on villains, or next to nothing.

scourge

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »

If it's phenomenal and I hear that through the grape vine (i.e. here) then I'll be interested, but as it is I'm reading very few comics these days if any so prob not. I mean I'm open to the idea and I like the character conceptually and aesthetically. One conceptual element did always feel a little forced and that was finding out she was a lesbian. It felt a bit tacked on like they were like "well we have two or three gay male Young Avengers, lets have a lesbian one now too, right?" Just seemed a push to have YA be the LGBTQ squad and that felt unnatural. Though I guess she's now the most prominent lesbian in comics and it prob works for her. Personally I think they should have just made someone like Captain Marvel a lesbian the way they retroactively made Northstar and Iceman gay. Admittedly, this is a weird tangent I'm on. I don't care too much and if the latina lesbian community now has an icon, that's a good thing.
Four things to consider--

1) Bernie Sanders
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUZNfbJnp4

2) H2H Character Rankings
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=11777.0

3) Master's words of wisdom
http://herochat.com/index.php?topic=12692.msg267150#msg267150

4) Getting involved in local politics

Hulkster

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 05:02:05 PM »

I fear that this is just like them putting Marguerite Bennett on Angela's book.  Gillen seemed to have Angela down, yet Marvel/Disney had to put an agenda focused lesbian on the title who ended up writing a doofus book about a love affair between Angela and a trans woman.  Angela was a well established character from Image that Marvel was able to acquire and they have totally failed her by giving her to Bennett and Bendis.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 01:24:03 AM »

I fear that this is just like them putting Marguerite Bennett on Angela's book.  Gillen seemed to have Angela down, yet Marvel/Disney had to put an agenda focused lesbian on the title who ended up writing a doofus book about a love affair between Angela and a trans woman.  Angela was a well established character from Image that Marvel was able to acquire and they have totally failed her by giving her to Bennett and Bendis.

Interesting; in giving Angela a "transwoman" partner?

Are they in some affect implying that Angela is essentially a "transman" due to being a warrior woman?

Pages: [1] 2 3