Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone interested in "America"?  (Read 1266 times)

Jabroniville

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in "America"?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 04:02:01 AM »

I just find it funny that she was in The Ultimates for like two years before somebody explained what her powers were.

She's still a ways ahead of Nightmask and that sister of his- those two NEVER had their powers explained.

MTL76

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 06:33:35 AM »

No, not really interested, not off of what I've read of her in the Ultimates or Young Avengers.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

shadowknight

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:25:09 AM »

Not interested  with few exceptions Marvel has a terrible record with writing Top Tier lvl characters. Freedom Ring, most of SS run, Hyperion just to name a few.

Hulkster

• Sherman Klump
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:15:34 AM »

I just find it funny that she was in The Ultimates for like two years before somebody explained what her powers were.

She's still a ways ahead of Nightmask and that sister of his- those two NEVER had their powers explained.

The Ultimates has been out for only 16 months.  I'm not sure where this specific explanation of her powers you refer to.  Pretty much everything she does now she was shown doing in Young Avengers.  What we don't know are the specifics surrounding her origin.  We've only gotten vague hints.

Hulkster

• Sherman Klump
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 09:18:44 AM »

I've read a bit more on this, and may have to change my mind.
Seems like theyre looking to beat us over the head with certain things and i'd prefer less of that and more super stuff.

It does appear agenda driven by a writer with a social agenda.  What bothers me a bit are the number of images with her smiling.  For the most part, throughout her history, MAC doesn't smile.  She basically always has attitude.

Hulkster

• Sherman Klump
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 09:21:53 AM »

Not interested  with few exceptions Marvel has a terrible record with writing Top Tier lvl characters. Freedom Ring, most of SS run, Hyperion just to name a few.

Depends on the writer.  Marvel tends to put Bendis on a lot of stuff and he totally screws up top tier powers.

JAXN

• McDowell's Employee of the Month
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »

The Ultimates has been out for only 16 months.  I'm not sure where this specific explanation of her powers you refer to.  Pretty much everything she does now she was shown doing in Young Avengers.  What we don't know are the specifics surrounding her origin.  We've only gotten vague hints.
We also don't know just how powerful she is. I'll be checking this book out to learn more about her.

scourge

• King Jaffe Joffer
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 11:03:53 AM »

If it's phenomenal and I hear that through the grape vine (i.e. here) then I'll be interested, but as it is I'm reading very few comics these days if any so prob not. I mean I'm open to the idea and I like the character conceptually and aesthetically. One conceptual element did always feel a little forced and that was finding out she was a lesbian. It felt a bit tacked on like they were like "well we have two or three gay male Young Avengers, lets have a lesbian one now too, right?" Just seemed a push to have YA be the LGBTQ squad and that felt unnatural. Though I guess she's now the most prominent lesbian in comics and it prob works for her. Personally I think they should have just made someone like Captain Marvel a lesbian the way they retroactively made Northstar and Iceman gay. Admittedly, this is a weird tangent I'm on. I don't care too much and if the latina lesbian community now has an icon, that's a good thing.

Hulkster

• Sherman Klump
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 12:02:05 PM »

I fear that this is just like them putting Marguerite Bennett on Angela's book.  Gillen seemed to have Angela down, yet Marvel/Disney had to put an agenda focused lesbian on the title who ended up writing a doofus book about a love affair between Angela and a trans woman.  Angela was a well established character from Image that Marvel was able to acquire and they have totally failed her by giving her to Bennett and Bendis.

g-train

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 08:24:03 PM »

I fear that this is just like them putting Marguerite Bennett on Angela's book.  Gillen seemed to have Angela down, yet Marvel/Disney had to put an agenda focused lesbian on the title who ended up writing a doofus book about a love affair between Angela and a trans woman.  Angela was a well established character from Image that Marvel was able to acquire and they have totally failed her by giving her to Bennett and Bendis.

Interesting; in giving Angela a "transwoman" partner?

Are they in some affect implying that Angela is essentially a "transman" due to being a warrior woman?

Hulkster

• Sherman Klump
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 09:06:11 AM »

Interesting; in giving Angela a "transwoman" partner?

Are they in some affect implying that Angela is essentially a "transman" due to being a warrior woman?

Maybe, but Gamora is a warrior woman and the two of them flirted with each other:

Jabroniville

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »

Yes, but as a writer, you're supposed to establish what the characters can do CONSTANTLY. ESPECIALLY in issue one. I'd never seen the character before, so I was utterly clueless about her and had to look it up. If you hadn't read Young Avengers previously, she is literally just some chick in street clothes that is for some reason on the team.

Hulkster

• Sherman Klump
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »

Yes, but as a writer, you're supposed to establish what the characters can do CONSTANTLY. ESPECIALLY in issue one. I'd never seen the character before, so I was utterly clueless about her and had to look it up. If you hadn't read Young Avengers previously, she is literally just some chick in street clothes that is for some reason on the team.

Every issue, they give a character summary when the character first appears.  This is from issue 1 and she even discusses her experience:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:10:06 PM by Hulkster »

Jabroniville

• Axel Foley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 01:37:28 AM »

It only lists her Transdimensional Teleportation as a power, which is of course the one you see used most frequently. I didn't realize till checking Wikipedia that her powers were:

Chavez possesses superhuman strength and durability, and the power of flight. Chavez also has the power to kick open holes in reality, allowing her and her teammates to travel through the multiverse and into other realities.[30] Ms. America is also able to move at superhuman speeds, able to catch up to and nearly exceed the speed of light as observed by Spectrum in her light form.
That shit ain't all listed there. And really, the whole team has that problem- I only notice it with Ms. Chavez because she's unknown to me. They don't even go into detail over her origin. It goes back to what Jim Shooter said: "EVERY ISSUE IS SOMEONE'S FIRST ISSUE!"

I mean, I'm not asking everyone to go into awkward Exposition Speak. Or the stuff Chris Claremont used to do, where they repeated their powers every issue ("the focused totality of my psychic powers"). But you gotta give us SOMETHING. And only the tiniest snippets of backstory aren't really effective, either. Keep in mind Infinites ran for many issues after that, and then relaunched- more specifics are needed, and frequently. REMIND people of why people are the way that they are.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:40:39 AM by Jabroniville »
Pages: [1] 2