Herochat

The future face of the Democratic Party?

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
Re: The future face of the Democratic Party?
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2017, 10:17:43 PM »
that said they should of picked Ellison just to bring the party together. Because...why not. Not that much to lose. i really no good reason not to, since Perez probally would be vice chair anyway. Sure Ellsion has some controvery with Farkan. But the republican going to call whoever put in charage a radical anyway. So minus well get radical

if they were to then boo anyway..then they have some leeway to say "Shit we tried..we gave them the bernie guy. And they booed anyway."

Imperial

• Was once the Greatest of All Time
  • +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2017, 12:20:57 AM »
Ok that parts troubling

Was Ellison for prosecuting banks and wall street

He's more of a critic of them than most modern Dems are anyway. For examples :

http://www.robinhoodtax.org/media/nurses-applaud-keith-ellison-renewed-bill-set-fee-wall-street-speculation

NURSES APPLAUD KEITH ELLISON ON RENEWED BILL TO SET FEE ON WALL STREET SPECULATION

Date of press release:
2/17/2017
Robin Hood Tax Could Raise $300 Billion a Year in Needed Funds

National Nurses United today welcomed the re-introduction of federal legislation from Rep. Keith Ellison with 17 House co-sponsors, that could raise hundreds of billions of dollars annually to fund critical social needs with a small tax on Wall Street speculation.

Economists estimate that a tiny surcharge of no more than a nickel on every $10 in trades of stocks, bond, and derivatives —a tax that is proportionally smaller than what most Americans pay for a pair of shoes – could increase revenues collected by the Treasury Department by as much as $300 billion annually.

Ellison’s HR 1144, the Inclusive Prosperity Act, is patterned after financial transaction taxes that exist in other global major economic markets. NNU has joined with Ellison and health care and community activists in campaigning for a similar levy, also known as the Robin Hood tax, for several years.

“Nurses are proud to support Rep. Keith Ellison’s Inclusive Prosperity Act,” said NNU Co-President Jean Ross, RN. “This small tax on Wall Street would go a long way to raising the revenue for our most vital needs, including living wage jobs, healthcare for all, student debt relief, and fighting climate change.”

“At a time when austerity budgeting is so popular among many in Washington, the Robin Hood tax is the perfect antidote for a fundamental change in direction,” Ross continued. “We can always count on Keith Ellison to be with us in fighting for every day American families,” Ross said.

“America’s working families need their country to invest in them again,” Rep. Ellison said. “The money raised from a wafer-thin tax on Wall Street’s high frequency trades could raise hundreds of billions of dollars to invest in our families, protect our environment and increase opportunity for all Americans. If the United States joins the dozens of other nations already benefiting from a financial transaction tax, we can create millions of jobs, while also reducing dangerous market volatility.”

HR 1144 would not affect households earning less than $75,000 annually. Instead, its principal targets are the wealthiest Americans whose reckless speculation fueled the 2008 recession: bankers, brokers, and rich investors who own most of the nation’s stocks and bonds.

The Robin Hood tax would also slow the growth of automated high frequency trading, which makes the stock market more dangerous. A small tax would make risky HFT unprofitable, and help reduce the excess speculation on commodities like food and gas that drives up prices, which will protect the economy from computer-generated collapses and market manipulation.

Almost 30 nations have some form of a financial transaction tax and the U.S. had a similar tax from 1914 until 1966. The United Kingdom has had a tax on stock trades for decades -- the same rate proposed in HR 1144 and their volume of trading has grown robustly. Eleven nations in the European Union will implement one soon.

https://www.boldprogressives.org/2013/05/protesters-arrested-outside-of-department-of-justice-protesting-lack-of-bank-prosecutions/

Congressional Progressive Caucus co-chair Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) issues statement in support of the protesters:

“I see the devastation of the foreclosure crisis every day in towns across the Minneapolis metro area, and I stand with the millions of struggling homeowners in Minnesota and across the country seeking justice after unfairly being kicked out of their homes. Banks have paid less than half the payments they owe to homeowners since 2008, and have yet to pay a dime of the latest settlement from 2011.
“It’s time we had real accountability for the bankers who deceived the American people and wrecked our economy in 2008.”

http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Keith_Ellison_Corporations.htm

Sponsored enforcing against corporate offshore tax haven banking.

Ellison co-sponsored Stop Tax Haven Abuse Act
Congressional Summary:Stop Tax Haven Abuse Act: to impose restrictions on foreign jurisdictions or financial institutions operating in the US that are of prime money laundering concern or that significantly impede US tax enforcement.

treat foreign corporations controlled primarily in the US, as domestic corporations for tax purposes

require tax withholding agents and financial institutions to report certain information about owners of foreign-owned financial accounts,

treat swap payments sent offshore as taxable US source income,

increase penalties for promoting abusive tax shelters and for aiding and abetting the understatement of tax liability

prohibit tax advisor contingent fee agreements for obtaining a tax savings or benefit

requires corporations registered with the SEC to report annually, on a country-by country basis, on employees, pre-tax gross revenues, and payments made to foreign governments

authorizes a fine of up to $1 million for failure to disclose any holding or transaction involving a foreign entity that would otherwise be subject to disclosure requirements

publishes a rule requiring investment advisors to establish anti-money laundering programs and submit suspicious activity reports

Extends anti-money laundering requirements to persons engaged in the business of forming new businesses or other legal entities.

Proponent's argument for bill: (by Jubilee USA Network, a religious antipoverty organization):

"The religious community couldn't be more pleased with this vital legislation that protects poor people inside and outside our borders. This legislation means that corporations can't rob billions of dollars from poor people across the globe. A critical piece of the legislation is country-by-country reporting of corporate payments to governments. Reporting at this level sheds light on the tax dodging that hurts all of us."
Sig : Emilie Nereng aka Voe

Imperial

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2017, 12:31:33 AM »
Perez is just as much of an establishment Dem as Ellison.  Nothing has changed.

Bernie seems to be trying to make things work, but every time he defends the Dems, I can't help but picture a battered wife sobbing to the police that "He's really a good person.  I can change him."  Everyone on this board knows how much I like Bernie, but he needs to grow a spine and leave that party for good.

I guess he figures he is in a tough spot given his age and the inherent biases in the system against anything but the two major parties.

I kind of agree with Cornel West here though

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/12/1/cornel_west_bernie_sanders_is_wrong

CORNEL WEST: Well, I think there’s going to be a lot of different responses. I have a deep love and respect for Brother Bernie Sanders. I always will. I don’t always agree with him. I’m not convinced that the Democratic Party can be reformed. I think it still has a kind of allegiance to a neoliberal orientation. It still has allegiance to Wall Street. The very victory of Nancy Pelosi is a sign that neoliberalism is still hegemonic in the party. I hope that Keith Ellison is able to present a challenge to it. But my hunch is—

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2017, 12:39:02 AM »
reading that makes me wonder why the fuck was so many progressive bitching about Ellison

looking up Perez now, he seem to actully have some good stuff under his belt
http://prospect.org/article/subtle-force-tom-perez
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/why-tom-perez-strong-competitor-against-keith-ellison-democratic-party

exapnded overtime pay
Addined new regulation Just as safety regulations. 195 different ones
gave home care worker protection
made a rule that retirmenet adivsers had to put clinets best interest first. Something Im shock wasnt a rule which I think trump overturn
Rules agaisnt Wage Theft
faught for paid leave
seem to have a good record on civil rights fights
Seem pretty progressive on immigrations
had a bunch of succest running organazxation

AP

• +56/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2017, 02:09:24 AM »
Perez is just as much of an establishment Dem as Ellison.  Nothing has changed.

Bernie seems to be trying to make things work, but every time he defends the Dems, I can't help but picture a battered wife sobbing to the police that "He's really a good person.  I can change him."  Everyone on this board knows how much I like Bernie, but he needs to grow a spine and leave that party for good.

I guess he figures he is in a tough spot given his age and the inherent biases in the system against anything but the two major parties.

I kind of agree with Cornel West here though

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/12/1/cornel_west_bernie_sanders_is_wrong

CORNEL WEST: Well, I think there’s going to be a lot of different responses. I have a deep love and respect for Brother Bernie Sanders. I always will. I don’t always agree with him. I’m not convinced that the Democratic Party can be reformed. I think it still has a kind of allegiance to a neoliberal orientation. It still has allegiance to Wall Street. The very victory of Nancy Pelosi is a sign that neoliberalism is still hegemonic in the party. I hope that Keith Ellison is able to present a challenge to it. But my hunch is—

The Democrats are looking at low approval ratings that are almost as bad as the approval ratings of the Republicans.  It's a failing party and it seems like the leaders of the party want to continue the status quo, which shows out of touch they are with reality.  It seems that they are trying to groom Chelsea Clinton to run in 2020.  If not her, it will be someone who totes the party line.  Meanwhile, Tulsi Gabbard and Bernie Sanders are pariahs within the party despite the fact that they could save it (and Sanders isn't even a Dem).

I wouldn't be surprised if some third parties aren't going to take their place soon.

Master

• +37/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
The GOP had the Tea Party... strong grass roots organizing that almost made the leap to third party... but was ultimately assimilated back into the Establishment GOP. The pissed off sentiment of GOP voters led to Trump squeaking his way through the primaries against his many Establishment opponents. He's unfortunately a poor candidate, but the GOP voters took a shot.

The Dems are now facing similar circumstances where the voters are tired of the Establishment, but the corporate lobbyists and those in their pockets are fighting tooth and nail to keep the Establishment running. The DNC getting caught rigging the primaries was just a marker on the long road that has led to this unease among Dem voters. And now the Dems have a grassroots movement of pissed off voters.

Unfortunately, Dem voters are more fracturered than GOP voters. If this movement can't get some solid organization, it will turn into another Occupy Wallstreet or BLM: a group of protesters who don't take any political action to back up their words. If your group cannot put forth candidates to run for local and state offices (or garner strong support from those already in office), then your group has no political power and cannot bring about any real change.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

AP

• +56/-49
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2017, 07:00:09 PM »
The GOP had the Tea Party... strong grass roots organizing that almost made the leap to third party... but was ultimately assimilated back into the Establishment GOP. The pissed off sentiment of GOP voters led to Trump squeaking his way through the primaries against his many Establishment opponents. He's unfortunately a poor candidate, but the GOP voters took a shot.

The Dems are now facing similar circumstances where the voters are tired of the Establishment, but the corporate lobbyists and those in their pockets are fighting tooth and nail to keep the Establishment running. The DNC getting caught rigging the primaries was just a marker on the long road that has led to this unease among Dem voters. And now the Dems have a grassroots movement of pissed off voters.

Unfortunately, Dem voters are more fracturered than GOP voters. If this movement can't get some solid organization, it will turn into another Occupy Wallstreet or BLM: a group of protesters who don't take any political action to back up their words. If your group cannot put forth candidates to run for local and state offices (or garner strong support from those already in office), then your group has no political power and cannot bring about any real change.

Yeah, with the whole Social Democrats movement, the DNC do seem to be in a bit of a panic mode.  They have been trying to get Bernie Sanders' email list (as if emailing those people asking for donations for an establishment shill is gonna work) to try to reel people back in.  I think the main difference between the two is that the GOP played ball with the Tea Party and shifted gears for them at least enough to keep them on board.  They hated Trump, but at least they didn't rig the primaries against him and went with who the people chose.  The Dems seem far more stubborn and oddly antagonistic toward progressives.  They rigged the primaries, then looked at the Bernie supporters and said, "Do something, faggot".  Not a smart move.

Imperial

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
Trump is an oligarch himself, and the tea party was largely fanned by oligarchs. They are movements whose true goals and intended results favor big money.

Bernie's is not. It's why the Democrats kept pounding away at social wedge issues that do not offend rich people, or upset their money machines. But were largely unwilling to tackle economic issues that would have won the election for them.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »

Yeah, with the whole Social Democrats movement, the DNC do seem to be in a bit of a panic mode.  They have been trying to get Bernie Sanders' email list (as if emailing those people asking for donations for an establishment shill is gonna work) to try to reel people back in.  I think the main difference between the two is that the GOP played ball with the Tea Party and shifted gears for them at least enough to keep them on board.  They hated Trump, but at least they didn't rig the primaries against him and went with who the people chose.  The Dems seem far more stubborn and oddly antagonistic toward progressives.  They rigged the primaries, then looked at the Bernie supporters and said, "Do something, faggot".  Not a smart move.

That's because the third parties are what The Democrats claim to be.

Also having some one honestly trying to get those platforms done instead of jobbing out for big money donor's kind of goes against their game plan.

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
For a 3rd party to be strong people got to come out in mid terms and local elections and just wait till general elections and be surprise when you lose

Tea party was good at obstructing but at time there uncompromising stop them from getting bills that would be good for them

I be interesting to see whay happen when both parties go far to their own sides

Panthergod

• +36/-73
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2017, 10:08:54 PM »
Trump is an oligarch himself,
he's new money white trash, not an oligarch. this is proof that fake leftists dont remotely know that they are utterly controlled by actual oligarchs, like the Rothchilds.

and the tea party was largely fanned by oligarchs.
It was co-opted by the Christian Right. it was originally a libertarian Ron Paul uprising. they arent oligarchs.

again, fake leftists are too self centered to be able to accurately assess their opposition.

They are movements whose true goals and intended results favor big money.

Bernie's is not. It's why the Democrats kept pounding away at social wedge issues that do not offend rich people, or upset their money machines. But were largely unwilling to tackle economic issues that would have won the election for them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:52:27 PM by Panthergod »

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2017, 11:03:02 PM »
Trump dad was a rich buisness owner who gave him milion throughout his life and gave him a big inheritance. He is not new money. He was born rich

Panthergod

• +36/-73
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2017, 11:14:28 PM »
Trump dad was a rich buisness owner who gave him milion throughout his life and gave him a big inheritance. He is not new money. He was born rich
That's new money.  His grandfather was a immigrant crinimal pimp.  at the time of the 60s the Kennedys were new money at that point as well. Old money traces its legacy in more than three generations.
That is new money.

therock

• +27/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2017, 01:00:20 AM »
That's new money.  His grandfather was a immigrant crinimal pimp.  at the time of the 60s the Kennedys were new money at that point as well. Old money traces its legacy in more than three generations.
That is new money.

That just means his grand dad new money. He on the other hand is not

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2017, 01:23:08 PM »
That is new money.

That just means his grand dad new money. He on the other hand is not

Eh....he has some of the cultural ways of "New Money".

Grandiose about showing it off; bit of a braggart, garrish etc.....

Old Money tends to be more subdued about their wealth, they don't need to show it off because they know their rich.