Herochat

Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2019, 07:38:21 AM »
Excellent review!

I took a look at the issue, and the art at least, looked really nice. I did wonder why Sonja was wearing a potato sack, so the news of the chainmail return is good to hear!

She's been training in Khitai for a while, learning the art of war from her sensei. He's been killed and it sounds like Khitai's been invaded, which is why Sonja's headed back to her homeland.

The reviews for this issue have been really good on the whole - like I said in my one, there's been a welcome return of bloodshed with beheadings and knives getting hurled through throats and such but the comic is also very, very funny ('Your chickens will serve the Emperor').

A load of those reviewers said they were pleasantly surprised to see Sonja wearing more sensible togs - they're in for a shock in a couple of issues' time based on the panels Mirko's posted on his social media pages. I'm sure, though, that Mark Russell will come up with a decent explanation for why the Queen of Hyrkania is running around in a metal bikini :) There will be some symbolism behind it, I'm sure.

The other important thing is it's not WHAT Sonja's wearing so much as HOW she's wearing it. Gail Simone always said she was fine with the bikini as long as we didn't get loads of panels of Sonja thrusting her buttocks into the foreground or closer-ups of her boobs heaving with sweat. Going on what I've seen from Mirko's panels, we're not going to get that

I do like a bit of cheesecake in my Sonja issues within reason but that's not Mirko's style of art.

The guy I chat to on DA about Sonja also pointed out how smart Russell's She-Devil is. She's considered and doesn't make rash decisions, she can write an eloquent letter and she's a combat pragmatist who's always looking to improve her craft.
Hyrkanian Badass

He'll be buying drinks all night then.

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2019, 06:52:29 AM »
Glad to see you’re enjoying this new take. Your enthusiasm is great to see!

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2019, 07:20:55 AM »
It's just that this is the second instance of a highly-respected and successful writer coming on board the title and bringing with them a fanbase who's not necessarily familiar with the character but is willing to give the title a shot.

The difference is that, unlike Gail Simone, Mark Russell actually respects both Red Sonja as a character and what previous writers have done with her.

I think the sales for this issue are gonna be something else. Amy Chu managed to match Gail Simone's sales, even with lack of name recognition because of the quality of her writing and Carlos Gomez' art. I think Russell's gonna eclipse Simone's sales figures.
Hyrkanian Badass

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 07, 2019, 05:46:14 AM »
#2 is out. There's practically no single combat in this issue, it's a story about wider battle strategy and the meeting of the two generals, each of whom has discontent within their camp.

The writing is great though ... Dragan continues to be a scream and Mark Russell writes the smartest Red Sonja there has ever been, bar none. Despite her supposed savagery, she runs circles around Dragan, totally outwitting him in battle and amassing desperately needed funding for her war effort.

Oh and Sonja's back in the scalemail bikini, at least during battle.

I don't know how long this arc is expected to last but Russell's doing a perfect job with the pacing.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 07, 2019, 07:16:05 AM »
Sounds good. I’ll have to skim through the issue (and not just for the bikini).

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2019, 05:06:54 AM »
Sounds good. I’ll have to skim through the issue (and not just for the bikini).

Mirko Colak's Sonja is a bit less ...pneumatic than Carlos Gomez' was - not as big-boobed, lithe or muscular. She's not even as tall, she's probably nearer 5'6'' than 6'0''. He gives her a nice ass though :D

The last panel of the comic is fucking amazing. It's Sonja basically telling her lieutenants that she's done taking any shit and that the kid gloves have come off ... she's sat on her horse with her face completely in shadow framed by her blazing crimson mane.
Hyrkanian Badass

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2019, 01:08:12 PM »
Well, this might interest you, RIV ... the next couple of issues of 'Red Sonja' are going to feature stories-within-the-main-story showing some of Sonja's antics in the past before she became Queen of Hyrkania. In a neat move, a different artist is being used for the flashback sequences - Bob Q, who's worked with writer Mark Russell before:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/227201-Dynamites-Red-Sonja-To-Reunite-Creative-Team-of-Mark-Russell-and-Bob-Q

Can I just say those colours are gorgeous? I really like Bob's art style too, he makes Sonja look younger and more muscular than she is in the main series. I'm guessing these are from some early adventures when she was all piss and vinegar and hadn't learned much in the way of humility. Some badass strength, stealth and climbing showings there though

This is a really smart move from Russell ... show off a bit of Sonja's past (which Amy never did) and also use it to draw in anyone who's not so interested in the big epic war between Zamora and Hyrkania and wants to see the She-Devil operating on a smaller scale.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »
That IS pretty art!

I like the mermaid cover, too. And the one where she’s getting macked on by Dr. Doom!

Sick Nick

• +10/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2019, 08:05:12 AM »
That IS pretty art!

I like the mermaid cover, too. And the one where she’s getting macked on by Dr. Doom!

The mermaid cover's by Bob Q, who's doing the flashbacks. Apparently his run on 'The Long Ranger' was fantastic and he's really inventive with his perspective and angles. Believe it or not, I didn't immediately get what was happening in the panel with Sonja and co scaling the wall, I thought they were on the roof of a building. Once I understood what was happening though, I thought that panel looked awesome.

How's Aaron's Conan series? I've heard mixed reviews and I haven't seen anyone going nuts over it.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +78/-1066
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 14, 2019, 09:06:51 AM »
Well i’m enjoying the heck out of the new Conan book, for what its worth.

And i liked the wall scaling scene too, it was very clever.
I actually picked up that Lone Ranger series, and Bob Q’s art was superb.