Herochat

Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?

Riv1

• +63/-1057
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2018, 12:27:44 PM »
Dont kid yourself, you put more energy into your posts re: Sonja than anyone else who’s been in this thread!
It was your enthusiasm that got me to try it out.

That envoy seems worth revisiting. The current baddy is someone i hope survives and comes back. Only 2 appearances but he has potential.
I can only hope Sonja’s trip back home isnt her mourning Taya and Lera...:(

Wealth & Fame he ignores, breaking scourge, is his reward. Look out!

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2018, 06:43:12 AM »
Dont kid yourself, you put more energy into your posts re: Sonja than anyone else who’s been in this thread!
It was your enthusiasm that got me to try it out.

That envoy seems worth revisiting. The current baddy is someone i hope survives and comes back. Only 2 appearances but he has potential.
I can only hope Sonja’s trip back home isnt her mourning Taya and Lera...:(

That's a good point about Sandak ... chances are he'll end up dead but it may be Skath decides to throw him into prison instead or even keep him as a jester or something. Obviously he's evil but he's 'real estate developer' evil, not a genocidal maniac like Kulan Gath. He's got no regard for human life, that much is shown by his suggestion for how Sonja and co should deal with any villagers who provide resistance, he's obviously greedy, scheming and untrustworthy but if his resources are taken away, does he still pose a threat? Skath seems like a smart guy who realises Sandak's potential danger, so I can't see him exiling him but you never know. It depends how much damage Sandak does between now and the end of the story. I can't imagine the Cimmerian people will want to see him survive but who knows?

The solicit for #22 doesn't mention Taya and Lera at all but that's not to say either or both of them won't appear. If Erik and Amy truly intend to stay on the book for the long haul, it'd be nice to see Sonja making allies in different lands to connect with later on ... Skath in Cimmeria, Taya in Hyrkania, maybe even Ram in Meru. What's surprising is that this has been one of the longest creative runs in the history of 'Red Sonja' ... Amy Chu's now been writing Sonja longer than Gail Simone did.
Hyrkanian Badass

Beats camel punching, eh, Conan?

Riv1

• +63/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2018, 08:53:15 AM »
Chu seems to have a real affinity for the character. While i’ve always liked Sonja, her personality never really stood out to me in any real way, until this book.

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2018, 06:48:31 AM »
Chu seems to have a real affinity for the character. While i’ve always liked Sonja, her personality never really stood out to me in any real way, until this book.

She's changed quite a bit over the years. At Marvel, she was basically a swashbuckler type, a bit more smart-mouthed than Conan and more of a wheeler-dealer. In the Dynamite relaunch, she was much more sombre ... she had her moments of humour but was haunted by the death of her family and also seemed cursed to lose anyone who became close to her - otherwise, she was pretty similar to the current version ... brash on occasion, unwilling to suffer fools but basically compassionate and honourable.

Simone's version was incredibly popular because she had personality in spades ... problem for me was that her personality was nothing like any Red Sonja that came before her. She was constantly in a shit mood, had no patience, spent her time either grousing at other characters or mocking them and was always looking for either booze or sex. As Gail said from the outset, 'The two things about my Red Sonja are that she's a drunkard and a braggart'. Gail got rid of the slightly archaic sword and sorcery speak, and had Sonja calling people 'horses asses' and such. I can see why she appealed to a lot of readers but to me, whatever she looked like, she wasn't Red Sonja.

Chu's take can still be waspish, especially since Burnham hooked up, and she's definitely rash and quick-tempered but she knows when not to rush into a situation headlong, she finds it easy to make friends and to trust people, and she's got a strong moral compass and sense of honour.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +63/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2018, 07:50:09 AM »
The Dynamite version never appealed to me, like you said, too sombre.
Simone’s version sounds like a writer shoe horning a personality onto a character regardless of it making sense or not. Granted, Sonja doesnt have the history of a WW, but her fans (like you) would notice.
I honestly like her work better on original characters.

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2018, 11:46:42 AM »
The Dynamite version never appealed to me, like you said, too sombre.
Simone’s version sounds like a writer shoe horning a personality onto a character regardless of it making sense or not. Granted, Sonja doesnt have the history of a WW, but her fans (like you) would notice.
I honestly like her work better on original characters.

I loved Simone's run on 'Batgirl', that was fucking awesome. I kinda liked her 'Wonder Woman' but thought it was a little inconsistent and I hated that Genocide baddie. One of my pet peeves is writers running out of ideas for decent villains so they just create a bad version of the good guy. Somebody had already done that with WW not long before Simone came on board.

Gail Simone's Sonja was basically Conan with tits. She took away everything that made the character unique, such as the vow, the devotion to Scathach etc. and turned her into a cookie-cutter barbarian woman, and then added a bunch of cheap gags. A ton of people liked her run, including some existing Sonja fans, but I sure as hell didn't.

On a separate note, Carlos Gomez mentioned on Instagram that he's finishing on Red Sonja soon and he used the word 'we' ...

No other news at the moment but I suspect Amy Chu's going as well. She's finishing up a load of different projects right now and it could be that Dynamite's bringing in a new creative team or might even do a new volume of the series. Given how well Amy's series has sold, I doubt they're going in a new direction though.

Hopefully Erik Burnham will stay on as writer, he's done an amazing job since he joined about six months ago.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +63/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2018, 11:30:49 PM »
Hmm. Not sure how i feel about the possible creative changes/new volume. Chances are good i’d drop the book at that point. :(

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2018, 05:50:23 AM »
Hmm. Not sure how i feel about the possible creative changes/new volume. Chances are good i’d drop the book at that point. :(

Even if Amy stayed, Carlos is a fucking HUGE loss. Still, Dynamite's loss is Marvel's gain and I'm sure there are loads of other good artists who can pick up the baton.

I'd like to see somebody in the same vein as Carlos though, using a slightly cartoonish style that's not ashamed to emphasise Sonja's assets while still drawing her as a strong woman and not a stick woman supermodel. Carlos is like a mixture of Mark Bagley and Humberto Ramos (but much better than the latter IMO). A lot of the fill-in artists have been decent enough but have a much more realistic style which looks a bit gloomier. Tom Mandrake would be good if he's available, he's done some great Sonja work. Vincenzo Viska, who's covering for Carlos on the first few pages of #20, has a style much closer to Carlos.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +63/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2018, 06:31:03 AM »
Thats a good observation on the art (and who Carlos’ style reminds one of). A more realistic art style just wouldnt be as much fun on this book.
Past or present, what i’ve enjoyed is the ‘high adventure’ feel of the series (its one reason i’m glad they moved away from Gath somewhat, he was gloomying things up too much), and the art has contributed heavily to that, of course.

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2018, 06:46:53 AM »
Thats a good observation on the art (and who Carlos’ style reminds one of). A more realistic art style just wouldnt be as much fun on this book.
Past or present, what i’ve enjoyed is the ‘high adventure’ feel of the series (its one reason i’m glad they moved away from Gath somewhat, he was gloomying things up too much), and the art has contributed heavily to that, of course.

Well, the solicit for #23 has just been released, so the series isn't ending straightaway. This one's carrying on the 'high adventure' feel ... after the Skath storyline, #22 is about Sonja nearly trampling a witch on her way back to Hyrkania and falling out with her, and then #23 is about retrieving a minor god's treasure from a monster or something.

For a 'high adventure' feel, probably the best Sonja run of all is Eric Trautmann's, which ran for about 25 issues from around #50 of the first Dynamite series. It's basically Sonja travelling across a wide range of lands, usually with a band of mercenaries in tow, going to environments from icy Vanaheim to Khitai in the East (the Hyborian equivalent of Japan), Atlantis, desert wildernesses and adventures on the high seas in between. Sonja's characterisation is pretty close to Amy Chu's version but Trautmann really did his homework on the lands and cultures of the Hyborian Era. There are a number of different artists, most notably Walter Geovani who is Gail Simone's Sonja artist of choice and Marcio Abreu, who is more along the lines of Ed Benes in style.

Should be pretty easy to find the trade paperback cheap on Amazon or Comixology. I strongly recommend it.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +63/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2018, 06:53:05 AM »
Good news on the book, thank you! I’ll enjoy this book until something major changes, writing wise.

Trautmann, eh? I’m gonna check this in a bit, thanks times two!

Riv1

• +63/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2018, 04:29:13 PM »
Got the first 4 issue arc of Trautmann’s run. Very enjoyable. You strike again!

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2018, 10:23:54 AM »

Trautmann's globetrotting tales were so cool with Sonja mixing it up with everything from giant sea serpents to samurai warriors. His battles were unparalleled and cinematic.

There's an amazing issue where Sonja throws down with the avatar of a Stygian scorpion god and his army of 50 men. She easily wipes out the soldiers, then ends up grappling with the scorpion god's disciple over his sword. Dozens of scorpions sting her while she wrestles with the superhuman disciple but she musters her strength and overpowers him, twisting the sword round so it impales him. You can practically hear the Basil Poledouris score in your head during those panels. Trautmann said that was his big Conan moment for Sonja.

See below:

http://comicsbulletin.com/red-sonja-60/
Hyrkanian Badass

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2018, 06:16:47 AM »
Big news ... the original team's back together! Roy Thomas, creator of Red Sonja (the comics version at any rate) has teamed up with Esteban Maroto on a new story - Maroto's the inventor of Sonja's trademark scalemail bikini!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/red-sonja-returns-an-all-new-graphic-novel-1136386

The artwork on this looks fucking amazing and it's gonna be interesting to see how this dovetails with what Amy and Erik have been doing on the monthly comic. This story was released in Spain a few months ago, so perhaps the creative team has been stalling on doing Sonja's origin until this came out.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +63/-1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »
^^^ooh, this i will keep an eye out for, nice!!!

Trautmann's globetrotting tales were so cool with Sonja mixing it up with everything from giant sea serpents to samurai warriors. His battles were unparalleled and cinematic.

There's an amazing issue where Sonja throws down with the avatar of a Stygian scorpion god and his army of 50 men. She easily wipes out the soldiers, then ends up grappling with the scorpion god's disciple over his sword. Dozens of scorpions sting her while she wrestles with the superhuman disciple but she musters her strength and overpowers him, twisting the sword round so it impales him. You can practically hear the Basil Poledouris score in your head during those panels. Trautmann said that was his big Conan moment for Sonja.

See below:

http://comicsbulletin.com/red-sonja-60/
Wound up getting Trautmann’s entire run, and you were right, it was pretty cool!
The stories kicked butt, and artistically it was solid. I loved that her outfit changed periodically. Thats simething i really appreciated.
Great recommendation on your part!