Herochat

Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2018, 05:38:54 PM »
No, I reckon you might be right, RIV. Clone Sonja’s body mysteriously vanished after all. The big Sonja fan I chat to at dA thinks evil clone Sonja with the amulet would be a great villain for Erik Burnham
To use if Amy Chu decides to leave the series after this storyline

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2018, 12:04:38 AM »
I think she’d be pretty good to see that way, too.

Not gonna lie, Sonja in modern times is what drew me to this book to begin with, but, i’m willing to keep going, as i’d forgotten how much i liked the character.

Two men walk into a bar. I broke scourge! HAHAHAHAHA

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2018, 04:52:28 AM »
Just read #17. Daniel HDR’s artwork is really good, reminds me a lot of Phil Jiminez and makes a change from Carlos Gomez’ manga-influenced style. The bulk of the story is about the legendary Cimmerian warrior Lord Skath and his fall from grace and it’s told beautifully … sort of a cautionary tale about excessive arrogance. Sonja sees plenty of parallels between herself and Skath and sets out to find him and return his sword in exchange for a reward.

This was really a meat and potatoes story and the writers couldn’t really have gone wrong but they added a bit of lustre to plot points like Sonja discovering her sword isn’t quite up to snuff and the inclusion of tons of flashback pics is great for new readers jumping on at this point.

Really strong start to this new story.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2018, 05:52:35 AM »
Sounds good, hopefully i’ll get this today!

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2018, 05:10:32 AM »
Great read, you were right; it was a quiet issue but it flowed really well.

Not sure what Skath could have done to appease the Shemite, he apologized and said he hadnt done it on purpose after all. The guy wasnt in the mood to listen.   
The story seemed more a cautionary tale on taking one’s religion to the extreme.

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
Great read, you were right; it was a quiet issue but it flowed really well.

Not sure what Skath could have done to appease the Shemite, he apologized and said he hadnt done it on purpose after all. The guy wasnt in the mood to listen.   
The story seemed more a cautionary tale on taking one’s religion to the extreme.

You're right. In his commentary for the issue, Erik Burnham said that even though the physical design for Skath was basically Conan with a beard, he and Amy wanted to make Skath less bloodthirsty, somebody who only fought when other options had been exhausted. Rather than leaping straight into battle, he extended the olive branch first. I guess what I meant by 'excessive arrogance' was Skath trusting too much in his sword and the invincibility it gave him.

That's an interesting parallel with Sonja herself, who would never shy from a fight but who's much smarter than Conan when it comes to talking her way out of needing to shed blood. Not only that but Amy's Sonja is more pragmatic than most writers' versions of her. Remember #2 when Sonja's walking through Harlem in her scalemail bikini with locals hollering at her and she takes no action. Why should she? They don't pose any danger. She's canny enough to distinguish between a jackass blowhard who's essentially harmless and a legit threat ... look at how she handled Luis in the bar. Gail Simone's Sonja would've cut his arm off for belittling her in front of others but Amy's Sonja opts to simply thrash him at armwrestling in front of all his buddies and embarrass him. Her instincts didn't betray her when the big lug jumped to her defence as Gath's thugs tried to kidnap her.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2018, 12:18:18 AM »
You have a good grasp on the intricacies of the character, its always fun to read your posts on RS. :D

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2018, 03:32:04 AM »
New issue's out today and it's awesome, stuffed with action and funny moments. I won't spoil anything except to say you were wrong about who stole the amulet ... !

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2018, 04:51:05 AM »
you were wrong about who stole the amulet ... !
Dang it; I was gonna start calling her ‘Dread Sonja’!

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »
I still don't think we've seen the last of her...

SPOILERS

Somebody's watching Taya and Lera ... we're supposed to think it's Red Sonja but that would be too easy. Dread Sonjeyquin is the next best option.

This is a fucking great issue, this month. Way more action than I'd expected and loads of development for Taya and Lera ... amazingly, I've started to find them interesting. Taya is bugged by the amount of trouble Sonja brings them, Lera seems slightly afraid of Sonja but at the same time doesn't want to be parted from her. There's some kind of debt that Lera is holding over Taya's head, much to Taya's disgust. Wonder if the amulet's going to compel Lera to try to assassinate Sonja at some point?

Otherwise, this ish has got it all:

Evil zombie necromancers - check

Pitched combat with Kulan Gath disciples - check

Flashbacks to the last storyline - check

Sonja chucking a human head like a baseball to kill an attacker - check

Killer spiders the size of ponies - check

Evil profiteering bastard who looks like Jaffar - check

Sonja punching a fat man in the face because he called her a 'wench' - check

The team face a dilemma in the next issue and I'm really looking forward to finding out how they'll resolve it.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2018, 12:07:08 AM »
^^^You fogot Sonja using the word tourist!
Its small thing, but i like that she retained it.

This was a ‘high adventure’ issue and i had fun throughout.
The amulet angle has the potential to end very badly, and i hate when a character has to put down a friend, but we’ll see.
Jafar was a nice change from the usual warrior leader bad guy one might expect. Kudos to the team for writing someone more original.
The ending promises an interesting continuation i’m eager to read!

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2018, 12:44:53 AM »
Issue 19 was interesting, i guess. It went really fast, over before i realized i read the whole thing.

Lera’s just digging a bigger hole for Sonja to bury her in, imo, but i cant help but hope she makes it out okay.
Taya’s kind of pissing me off, as she’s just letting this happen.
The thing to do is get it all out in the open, for safety’s sake if nothing else.

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2018, 06:26:09 AM »
Issue 19 was interesting, i guess. It went really fast, over before i realized i read the whole thing.

Lera’s just digging a bigger hole for Sonja to bury her in, imo, but i cant help but hope she makes it out okay.
Taya’s kind of pissing me off, as she’s just letting this happen.
The thing to do is get it all out in the open, for safety’s sake if nothing else.

Yeah, that'd make the story more boring though, wouldn't it?

I've been discussing this issue a lot with my buddy on deviantART and I don't think things are going to go well for Lera - I don't see her surviving this storyline. In fact, I reckon she's going to finish up falling victim to Clone Sonja, who will take the amulet for herself. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Taya ... perhaps Lera will kill her when she threatens to tell Sonja the truth, although I want to hear a bit more about this blood debt that Taya owes her. Maybe Taya will survive and accompany Sonja in her next story (#22 has Sonja travelling back to Hyrkania and falling foul of a witch on the road) or maybe she'll end up a victim of Sandak. After all, Lera promised Sandak a warrior for Sonja to slay in an exhibition ... perhaps Taya will end up being the Apollo Creed to Sonja's Ivan Drago.

Not sure what happens with Skath/Sonja, except Sonja will end up fighting a shark at one point. My buddy on dA suggested it'd be cool to have Skath/Sonja fight at some point, perhaps in Sandak's exhibition match. Skath could be armed with his own blade, which Sonja gives back to him, and ends up losing the fight but keeping his life. He learns as a result that his sword wasn't magical, he simply hadn't met his match until he met Sonja.

Going on a few preview sketches I've seen for #20, I guess Sandak's men arrive early next issue and throw Skath into a dungeon, while Sonja makes a decision on whether to return his sword and help him reclaim his land in Cimmeria, at the same time playing along with Lera and Sandak's moneymaking scheme.

I enjoyed this issue ... still plenty of action but it was good to see some scheming and plot advancement. When Taya and Lera were introduced, I was worried Amy was going to write them as Sonja clones but the rocky relationship between the three of them has been really well handled and Lera's a really intriguing character. I loved that tavern scene as well, with Taya lampshading that wherever the women have travelled, Sonja's been kicking the locals' arses at bar games to score free grog.

I think this has been the best storyline of Amy's run yet. What do you think? I know you really liked the time travel stories, did you like the NYC one better?

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2018, 01:41:55 AM »
One problem books like this (character walk the earth) have, is lack of supporting cast (oddly, one of the best S&S books to pull off a large stable of interesting recurring characters imo is Groo), so, the attention payed to Taya and Lera is a welcome surprise.
I thought they’d be Sonja clones too.
However their stories end and/or continue, i’ll care, because they were fleshed out.
Even w. the info you’ve provided, i’m not going to try and guess how this will play out. Should be fun, though!

I did prefer the modern setting (i love the barbarian in modern times idea), but i’m still into the characterization here, so no complaints.

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2018, 10:35:45 AM »
One problem books like this (character walk the earth) have, is lack of supporting cast (oddly, one of the best S&S books to pull off a large stable of interesting recurring characters imo is Groo), so, the attention payed to Taya and Lera is a welcome surprise.
I thought they’d be Sonja clones too.
However their stories end and/or continue, i’ll care, because they were fleshed out.
Even w. the info you’ve provided, i’m not going to try and guess how this will play out. Should be fun, though!

I did prefer the modern setting (i love the barbarian in modern times idea), but i’m still into the characterization here, so no complaints.

The story could go in any direction from here ... all we know from the solicits is that Sonja finds out Lera's secret, fights a shark and survives to travel back to Hyrkania. That's it! Even then, solicits have been wrong before ... one solicit for one of the second storyline issues talked about Sonja and Max travelling together across America, even though Max was in Meru at the time! The events described in the solicit for #20 actually happened last issue i.e. 'Sonja goes to a tavern to find out about Skath', 'Sonja acts as head of security for Sandak'.

If the deathmatch proposed by Lera goes ahead, Sonja's opponent could be Taya, Skath or even the shark. We don't know which side Taya will end up on, although I think she'll end up opposing Lera ... in fact, I reckon she'll end up being killed by Lera directly or indirectly. Sonja may actively help Sandak out with his festival or she might use it as an opportunity to free Skath. Skath might get chucked into prison by Sandak next issue or he might bide his time until the festival and then make a play to reclaim his title and castle.

It's wide open but half the fun is in speculating.

One great supporting character who hasn't been used recently is Ram, the Meruvian envoy who sought out Sonja to battle Kulan Gath in the first place in 'Red Sonja: Long Walk To Oblivion'. He'd be a great character to bring back ... he's clearly an accomplished warrior but he's not a chiselled one-man army like Conan or Sonja, he's relatively soft-spoken and he's a family man. Sonja's supporting cast in previous runs have often been loud-mouthed beefy he-men and Ram is much more nuanced than that.