Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?  (Read 1561 times)

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »

I havent enjoyed Simone's in a long time. I get she's a 'name', though, and so will never lack for work...

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »

I havent enjoyed Simone's in a long time. I get she's a 'name', though, and so will never lack for work...

I don't think she's got much to do with Sonja now, although she recommended Amy Chu for the writing job. I think she's well-liked by Dynamite and has a lot of sway there if she chooses to use it.

I actually really like a lot of Simone's work, particularly on 'Batgirl' ... that was great. She was good on Wonder Woman as well. I just don't think she 'gets' Red Sonja - she enjoyed writing it but her work came across as a petty attack on everything she hated about the character and the genre in general. Gail thinks the vow is stupid, so she pins it onto another character and has Sonja laughing at him, and also writes Sonja fucking anything that moves. Gail doesn't like Sonja enjoying a few beers, so she transforms her into a raging alcoholic. Gail doesn't like the fact that Sonja's an amazing warrior, so she turns her into a laughing stock ... there's actually a comic where another swordsman trips Sonja up during a fight and then kicks her up the arse as she falls past him. I'm not kidding.

Gail pretty much hated the classic version of Sonja, so she created her own version. They're practically different characters. Luckily, even though Amy Chu's a friend of Gail's, her version is WAY closer to the original version.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2017, 09:47:08 PM »

she seems a nice person, her style just doesnt do it for me any more.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2017, 09:17:30 PM »

I don't think she's got much to do with Sonja now, although she recommended Amy Chu for the writing job. I think she's well-liked by Dynamite and has a lot of sway there if she chooses to use it.

I actually really like a lot of Simone's work, particularly on 'Batgirl' ... that was great. She was good on Wonder Woman as well. I just don't think she 'gets' Red Sonja - she enjoyed writing it but her work came across as a petty attack on everything she hated about the character and the genre in general. Gail thinks the vow is stupid, so she pins it onto another character and has Sonja laughing at him, and also writes Sonja fucking anything that moves. Gail doesn't like Sonja enjoying a few beers, so she transforms her into a raging alcoholic. Gail doesn't like the fact that Sonja's an amazing warrior, so she turns her into a laughing stock ... there's actually a comic where another swordsman trips Sonja up during a fight and then kicks her up the arse as she falls past him. I'm not kidding.

Gail pretty much hated the classic version of Sonja, so she created her own version. They're practically different characters. Luckily, even though Amy Chu's a friend of Gail's, her version is WAY closer to the original version.

That seems kind of confusing; like if she hated Red Sonja that much why take on the character?

Hell; from what your saying she almost sounds "non-feminist" in her writing of the character; woman tries to become like the male warriors around her, fails horrible and as a result becomes a laughingstock, whorish and an alcoholic?

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2017, 05:50:23 PM »

That seems kind of confusing; like if she hated Red Sonja that much why take on the character?

Hell; from what your saying she almost sounds "non-feminist" in her writing of the character; woman tries to become like the male warriors around her, fails horrible and as a result becomes a laughingstock, whorish and an alcoholic?

I think she enjoys writing the character but she didn'the like the 'classic' take and tried to reinvent her. Gail Simone's Red Sonja is pretty much a completely new charafter.  I honestly don't think she sees any difference personality-wise between Sonja and Conan, whereas those differences were stark right from Sonja's first appearance. Basically Gail writes Sonja as a less capable and angrier Xena

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2017, 05:51:18 PM »

#5 is out...

It wasn't very good IMO. Worst issue of Amy's run so far

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2017, 04:04:14 AM »

Damn, really? Havent seen it yet.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »

I think she enjoys writing the character but she didn'the like the 'classic' take and tried to reinvent her. Gail Simone's Red Sonja is pretty much a completely new charafter.  I honestly don't think she sees any difference personality-wise between Sonja and Conan, whereas those differences were stark right from Sonja's first appearance. Basically Gail writes Sonja as a less capable and angrier Xena

Yeah; Red Sonja was less "Warrior Princess" and more Sexy "Warrior Nun" I guess when you factor in her not sleeping around with people code and divine connection for her origin.

Maybe that could have been a way to bridge the two; after what happened when she was young happens, she gets taken in by a religious order, has some kind of possible semi-mystical vision/hallucination, leave it open for how you want to take it, and then trains herself to be an uber warrior with a religious code she has to follow?

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »

Makes me flash back to the "Dark Sonja" arc or whatever where she goes bad and takes over some place or alterna-history or whatever it was.

Sonja's never really shown the drive to want to conquer or control like that, not even to the extent Conan has.

Seems more like she wonders around and just does random adventures.

So a "evil" Sonja would just be her wondering around causing chaos all over the place but with no real goals or concern for the outcomes of the people around her or the results of her actions.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2017, 10:12:32 AM »

Makes me flash back to the "Dark Sonja" arc or whatever where she goes bad and takes over some place or alterna-history or whatever it was.

Sonja's never really shown the drive to want to conquer or control like that, not even to the extent Conan has.

Seems more like she wonders around and just does random adventures.

So a "evil" Sonja would just be her wondering around causing chaos all over the place but with no real goals or concern for the outcomes of the people around her or the results of her actions.

Xena did the same, didn't she? But yeah, there was that dark Sonja arc, around the time Dynamite killed her off for the first time. IIRC, it caused controversy because Sonja was shown ripping off a baby's head or something? An evil baby but a baby, all the same.

Sonja's ended up ruling before and there was a whole series devoted to it, 'Queen Sonja', which was actually pretty fucking good ... probably more consistent than the main title. It was the first time Dynamite's Sonja shed the chainmail bikini because her advisors told her that wasn't a fitting look for a monarch.

Generally, she's more of an adventurer/sellsword and acts more on her own. She's just as good a general as Conan but she doesn't seem to play as well with the others on the whole, and her friends have a nasty habit of ending up dead.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]