Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?  (Read 1099 times)

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 11:28:12 PM »

I'd trade an inch offa mine for a bit of your skill with a pencil. I'm strictly a doodler.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2017, 06:46:22 AM »

I'd trade an inch offa mine for a bit of your skill with a pencil. I'm strictly a doodler.

:)

BTW,  the next ish might be 5 wks away but with the last issue, Google Books posted preview pages about 10 days ahead of the release date. They included snippets of script so it was quite easy to uncover preview pages I shouldn't have done

Kallor

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 08:39:40 AM »

Looking on Comixology Unlimited, it appears that they have the first couple trades available for "free" of most Sonja series, there's 6 or 7 issues of the Marvel Roy Thomas stuff in the 70's, the Dynamite launch (looks like Oeming is the writer), "Queen Sonja", Simone, Bennet, the first Conan/Red Sonja crossover and various one-shots and minis like Revenge of the Gods and Black Tower.  Anything I should read, or just that you'd recommend, before jumping into Chu's series?

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »

Oeming's run was fucking awesome, at least the first 20 issues or so - great stories and Mel Rubi's art was beautiful, like Cary Nord's Conan work. I HIGHLY recommend Oeming/Carey's run. People rave about the Marvel stuff but I find it a bit silly and dated. The best mini is Red Sonja: Blue - in fact, I think it's the best Sonja story ever period. Anything by Eric Trautmann is really good, he did his homework on the Hyborian Age and took it seriously. Doom of the Gods is REALLY bleak but I loved it myself. Luke Lieberman's work is generally pretty good too.

Queen Sonja was very good as well but obvs more about Sonja as ruler and general than as adventurer. The recent Vulture's Circle got good reviews but I didn't read it ... it's about a much older Sonja.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:54:09 AM by Sick Nick »

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 11:21:26 AM »

I havent enjoyed a lot of (the admittedly little) Sonja stuff i've come across outside the old Marvel stuff until now. A lot of its on me, though. I have to be in a certain headspace for some characters.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »

Amy Chu just sent Bleeding Cool a commentary for this issue. Her commentaries are always an interesting insight into the process behind her stories.

In this case and of relevance to Sonja's abilities, Amy said she did indeed include the duck kill as a demo of Sonja's brute strength and accuracy and to show her destructive abilities without having her hurt a human.

Amy toyed with having a wrestling match instead of an armwrestling match but she went with the latter so as not to disrupt the flow of the scene and to keep in the same location.  I think she definitely made the right choice ... how many bars do you walk into with actual wrestling matches going on? Yet I've had a few armwrestles at pubs myself, one of them even against a former SHC poster. Also, if the ultimate aim is to show off Sonja's strength, it's harder to play the "skill" card with an armwrestle.

Interestingly,  Amy fessed up that there was a typo on the bar tab and Sonja didn'the actually knock back 270+ beers ... she intended to write her matching Andre the Giant's record of 119. The wrong beer price went on the tab. Amy's no-prize explanation was that Sonja bought a few rounds for her new friends.

Lastly, and it doesn't necessarily mean much, Chu off handedly refers to Sonja as a "superhuman" on the commentary to one page...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 06:38:23 PM by Sick Nick »

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2017, 01:33:11 PM »

^^^Thats really good stuff!

Too bad that duck had to suffer, though. I liked the arm wrestle too; a wrestling match really would have seemed odd!
The beer, in triple digits is impressive no matter how you slice it. I once drank 99 and a bottle of Jim Beam in a 4 day weekend and almost died. No Prize explanation...thats awesome.
The superhuman remark doesnt really bug me.
Characters like her and Conan ARE superhuman.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 05:35:20 PM »

#0 is available for free on Bleeding Cool now. It's not a great issue - mainly a demo of Gomez' art and even then, his art improves as the series goes on, with more detailed backgrounds and less emphasis on the She-Devil Devil's buttocks. There are a couple of weird inconsistencies with the art and story ... OTOH this is the only point in the series so far that Sonja's drawn blood with her sword. Worth a look for free, anyway, and if you enjoy this, you'll love the later issues.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:37:39 PM by Sick Nick »

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 10:24:57 PM »

Issue#0 was a low key set up for whats become a fun ride.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »

#3 is out but IMO it's a bit 'meh' compared with the previous ish. It's got some really fun moments but it's mostly setting up Sonja's confrontation with Kulan Gath.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 05:12:58 AM »

I kida dug it. It was a chance for Sonja to get her bearings, which she really needed.
I also like the characters introduced and the humor. Man, so glad you got me into this!

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 11:12:10 AM »

Downloaded issue 4, havent read it yet, though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:56:49 AM by riv6672 »

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »

It's good ... definitely better than #3 IMO.  The Comic Bastards reviewer, who hasn't really liked the series up to now, reckoned it was by far the best issue yet.

Kallor

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 10:50:51 PM »

I thought the Max reveal was a little rushed, he's just like "I remember" and that's that without any real surprised reaction from him other than anger at Gath.  I guess there's no real reason to draw it out, but it felt like an underdone moment.  Overall good issue, the wait for these hurts.  Do you get these digitally or physical?  The digital versions of #3 and #4 have all the covers, and the cosplay covers are pretty good.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-APR 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 04:59:36 AM »

^^^Yeah i'm going digital, and you're right about the covers, i really like them.
It's good ... definitely better than #3 IMO.
Thats good! 3 was the only one you havent been hyped on.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4