Herochat

Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2018, 03:26:27 PM »
The covers on this series are to die for.

The motorbike and giant snake variants for this ish were amazing. The main cover for next ish though has the most hideous Sonja I’ve ever seen. She looks like Gollum

I hate snakes
I love motorcycles.

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +9/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2018, 06:51:52 AM »
I am 'meh' about snakes riding motorcycles.
Hyrkanian Badass

He'll be buying drinks all night then.

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2018, 08:33:30 AM »
I am 'meh' about snakes riding motorcycles.
I just dont see how they'd manage it... ???

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +9/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2018, 11:09:30 AM »
:)

I've cancelled my subscription but more through personal circumstances than anything else. The increasing delays are annoying though ... this next issue is 3 weeks later than originally scheduled.

The good news is Erik Burnham, who wrote the cool 'Long Walk To Oblivion' one-shot, is coming on board to help Amy out with writing duties. She's handling the plotting and he's focussing on dialogue and details. Hopefully that'll mean there are fewer delays - it'll be interesting to see what impact he has otherwise, as Erik writes a meaner Sonja than Amy but also seems to have a better instinctive grasp of the sword and sorcery genre. Amy's taking on more and more titles and I think her days on 'Sonja' are probably numbered.

There's been some talk of Gail Simone doing another mini-series and I have to think it's only a matter of time until we see a Sonja/Wonder Woman crossover, based on the reception for the Conan/WW crossover.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
I havent heard anything good about the WW/Conan crossover. Mostly negativity to ambivalence.
I myself wasnt caught up by the first issue to keep reading.

Sorry about your cancellation.
You being so into this book was responsible for getting me back into collecting, believe it or not.
I now get 30+ ongoings.
So, thanks Nick!

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +9/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2018, 04:16:44 AM »
No probs, RIV. Dynamite hasn't done much to promote this series, given Amy was handpicked by Gail Simone and the Dynamite execs put Simone on a pedestal and will do whatever she wants. Sales have been pretty good though, close to Simone levels and much better than the last series by Marguerite Bennett. It's amazing how many people there are who read the Simone issues but who aren't even aware there's a current series.

I'm sure I'll pick up the odd issue, I'm really curious to see what happens with this new storyline. The last storyline wasn't great IMO, there was too much aimless messing around while the She-Devil made her way across the States. I think there will be a lot more going on in this arc, with two separate Sonjas and Gath coming back into power.

I have to admit, I think the WW/Conan crossover has picked up since #1. The art is amazing and Simone's doing a great job writing Diana. She's also getting shitloads of credit for her Conan writing as well, though, but like with Sonja, she's fundamentally changed the character. Simone's Conan is a damn sight more feminist than he should be and much nicer overall. That came across a bit in the Sonja/Conan crossover Simone did a while ago too. I'd be really surprised if Simone had read many of the original Howard novels or even much of the classic Marvel stuff, her Conan seems pretty generic. Still, the plot's just taken an interesting twist as Wonder Woman's started to regain some of her superhuman powers.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2018, 05:55:19 AM »
Despite that positive review, i just cant see picking up the book; i like my Conan salty!
If and when you pick up Sonja though, hope you hit up this thread, you'll always have at least one response. -thumbs up-

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +9/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2018, 06:52:57 AM »
Despite that positive review, i just cant see picking up the book; i like my Conan salty!

Me too. I find it odd that Gail went out of her way to turn Sonja into such an asshole but writes such a cuddly Conan, relatively speaking. Conan definitely looked dumber than Sonja in the crossover Gail wrote, which is only fair ... he is dumber than her. However, he also looked much more compassionate and naive, and he shouldn't be.

If and when you pick up Sonja though, hope you hit up this thread, you'll always have at least one response. -thumbs up-

I will do, and I have every intention of getting the next issue. In the meantime, RIV, you should keep an eye on this guy's page at deviantART. He reviews every Sonja issue and I've had a ton of long discussions with him about this run:

https://redsonjaart.deviantart.com/

He doesn't think Amy Chu's done a flawless job but is much keener on her stint than Gail Simone's. Like me, he loved Erik Burnham's one shot and is pretty optimistic about this next storyline.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »
Good deal, and thanks for da link!

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +9/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »
Preview pages are up on Google Books for the next issue and it looks pretty fucking awesome...

SPOILERS

After Professor Wallace's wacky spell last issue, we've got TWO Red Sonjas and two Wallaces and even they don't know which are clones and which are the real deal nor how long the clones will last. It looks like one pair goes to the pub and hears about some cool quest, which leads to a scrap with some Ray Harryhausen killer skeletons in the desert. Oh and Sonja ditches the Lara Croft shorts and boots and gets back in the bikini.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2018, 05:46:22 AM »
Everything played out as you said; it was a fast paced enjoyable read. There's different ways i wish this comic might have gone with the Sonja in the present idea, but i'm not disappointed with with the way it has.

I did like the shorts, though!

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +9/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2018, 06:12:32 AM »
Everything played out as you said; it was a fast paced enjoyable read. There's different ways i wish this comic might have gone with the Sonja in the present idea, but i'm not disappointed with with the way it has.

I'm glad Sonja's back in her usual gear although have to wonder why the barman had a chainmail bikini handy??!

Really fun comic, though, I loved this one. Sonja punching out the bruiser in the tavern was awesome, as was the skeleton fight. Interesting to see Max on Gath's side. Carlos was on fire with the art for this issue, especially the shot of Shamballah.
Hyrkanian Badass

Sick Nick

• +9/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2018, 06:27:15 AM »
FWIW I also read the latest issue of Conan/Wonder Woman. This one advanced the plot nicely, with WW now getting most of her powers back, Hippolyta getting the Amazons involved and they cleared up some of the backstory with Conan and 'Yanna's friendship as kids. It wasn't as fun as the last issue though, which featured Diana getting shitfaced and a nice bar-room brawl. At least Gail didn't try to pretend that Conan vs Diana is anything like a fair fight.

It sucks that this series will probably outsell Red Sonja 3 to 1 but the Sonja series is so much better. The best thing about the Conan/WW crossover is definitely Aaron Lopresti's art; I'd love to see him do a Red Sonja story.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +69/-1061
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2018, 07:32:29 AM »

I'm glad Sonja's back in her usual gear although have to wonder why the barman had a chainmail bikini handy??!

Really fun comic, though, I loved this one. Sonja punching out the bruiser in the tavern was awesome, as was the skeleton fight. Interesting to see Max on Gath's side. Carlos was on fire with the art for this issue, especially the shot of Shamballah.
I'm a big gan of skeleton fights (not even kidding, ever since watching the old Sinbad movie as a kid) so that was a treat.
Not even gonna get into wondering what else was in the bar's lost & found, though!
This had some of the better art/panel to panel flow of the book so far it seems.

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +9/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2018, 09:49:58 AM »
I'm a big gan of skeleton fights (not even kidding, ever since watching the old Sinbad movie as a kid) so that was a treat.
Not even gonna get into wondering what else was in the bar's lost & found, though!
This had some of the better art/panel to panel flow of the book so far it seems.

Yeah, great sequences with that desert scene from Sonja and co trudging moodily across to the flight to the pyramid and the big revelation at the end. For a comic that's had so many mini-storylines going on simultaneously in the past, it was really cool to see such a long scene unbroken by catch-ups with the rest of the cast. The skeleton ripping out the big guy's throat was particularly nasty, reminded me of something out of 'The Walking Dead' or a George Romero movie. There were a couple of other stand-out panels ... I LOVED that half-page panel of Sonja telling Wallace they're going to fight and decapitating that skeleton.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad we didn't see Spike and Holly in this issue. I wonder whether they hooked up with the other Sonja and Wallace though? Gath's troops supposedly went through that first portal, I'm guessing Spike and Holly did too.

I feel kind of sorry for Professor Wallace, Sonja sure doesn't have a lot of respect for him. Erik Burnham joined on scripting this issue and I think it really showed; Sonja came across as way more hard-edged and less patient.
Hyrkanian Badass