Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?  (Read 1498 times)

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »

Digital for me but I WILL be getting the trade when it’s out in July.

#3 was OK but it seemed a bit ambitious … there was too much to cram in to get Sonja face-to-face with Kulan Gath in the space of an issue, and it seemed to silly to do stuff like throwing in a whole half-page of Sonja showing off her new outfit when there was so little space and she was going to be back in the scalemail bikini 5 pages later anyway.

I feel there was also a great opportunity to chuck in a couple of nice fight scenes in #3 but the fights were really rushed. This series is still missing a really good fight scene. Micheal Oeming and Mel Rubi, in the original Dynamite Red Sonja run, used to have at least one fucking amazing fight scene every single issue, but all the fights so far this series have been restricted to about 3 panels.

Despite all the hype from Dynamite, I don’t think the Max reveal should’ve been a surprise to any readers but yeah, his reaction was a bit muted. I loved the sepia page showing his childhood; apparently that was an art experiment by Carlos which really worked IMO. What’ll be interesting now will be to see whether Max eventually goes back to the Hyborean Age with Sonja. He’s grown up in the modern era and enjoys all its comforts but he said he’s always been an outsider, and doesn’t appear to have any friends other than Jay. I’d like to see Sonja with a Joxer-style sidekick.

It’s gonna be a while before we get there though. I saw the solicit for #7 the other day, and Sonja’s STILL in the USA, apparently going on a roadtrip with Max to try to find a way home. I suspect that the original plan was to finish this run up at #5; in an early interview, Amy said it would last 6 issues. We’re up to #7 though, with Amy still on the book and Sonja still in America. I think sales and the critical reception have really pleased Dynamite and they’ve asked Amy to stay on, and she in return has asked to keep Sonja in America a bit longer because she’s more comfortable writing her in that environment. She’s been doing tons of research on Marvel Sonja, so I reckon she’ll eventually take the She-Devil back home … but not for the time being. Apparently, #3 outsold #2, which everyone was really pleased about, and sales have at least matched, if not surpassed, those of Gail Simone’s Sonja at the same stage. That’s pretty good going.

The good news for anyone missing Sonja in her traditional setting is there’s a one-shot out in a couple of weeks by Erik Burnham and Tom Mandrake called ‘The Long Walk To Oblivion’, which will act as a prequel to the current storyline and showing the Meruvians seeking Sonja’s help against Gath. I think the style will be very different from the main book … Mandrake’s style is much darker and more brooding than Gomez’ and I think this will be a much more serious tale but hopefully it’ll be pretty good nonetheless.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2017, 10:58:32 AM »

its a (very pleasant!) surprise to hear about issue 7. I was going in what i'd read (6 issues) after you started this thread. Should be fun.

I agree on the fight scenes, though so far, it hasnt detracted from my enjoyment. I AM hoping for her to just cut loose and scare the shit out of everyone in the finale though.

What’ll be interesting now will be to see whether Max eventually goes back to the Hyborean Age with Sonja. He’s grown up in the modern era and enjoys all its comforts but he said he’s always been an outsider, and doesn’t appear to have any friends other than Jay. I’d like to see Sonja with a Joxer-style sidekick.
I'd like it if he went, too. He could be the filter Amy needs to help her write a 'period piece' so to speak.
I'd understand if he stays though.
Modern living trumps barbaric; like Howard the Duck shows, everyone's trapped in a world they never made, and one good friend is more than a lot of people have!

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »

its a (very pleasant!) surprise to hear about issue 7. I was going in what i'd read (6 issues) after you started this thread. Should be fun.

I agree on the fight scenes, though so far, it hasnt detracted from my enjoyment. I AM hoping for her to just cut loose and scare the shit out of everyone in the finale though.

I'm not convinced we're going to see too much more fighting in this arc, although I could be wrong. I think most of the focus now will be on Gath and his Demon Beast vs the good guys, although since Sonja will be of limited use in a magical scrap between Gath and Max, maybe she'll hold off his minions. Who knows?

It's been 5 weeks between issues for the 3 issues but only 4 until the next one. Amy did an interview about #5 but managed to reveal absolutely nothing about it, other than Sonja's going to ride a motorbike again. There are 3 or 4 preview panels on Carlos' page on Instgram but they don't reveal a whole lot except...

SPOILERS

Sonja and Max are going to hook up with Jay, Spike and Holly, and end up in Coney Island. There's also a panel seemingly showing Jay shooting at the Demon Beast, so presumably it's going to fight the cops in the streets of New York.

The main cover for #7 shows that Sonja's might be changing up her a look a bit for her trip across the States ... she's wearing a leather jacket and trousers, with the jacket open at the waist to show off her chainmail bikini top underneath. Quite a 70s exploitation movie look, I like it.

I'd like it if he went, too. He could be the filter Amy needs to help her write a 'period piece' so to speak.
I'd understand if he stays though.
Modern living trumps barbaric; like Howard the Duck shows, everyone's trapped in a world they never made, and one good friend is more than a lot of people have!

I think Amy's worked so hard with Max, I can't see her leaving him in the modern world. She hinted on Twitter that she's written alternative endings.

The humour that works best in 'Red Sonja' IMO is the fractuous banter between Sonja and Max, and general observations about the clash between modern culture and Sonja's own. It can get a little too knowing on occasion but when it works, it works really well. 'Red Sonja' really had many amusing moments since Dynamite took it on in 2005, so I'd like to see Amy continue to bring the funny.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »

You are really well informed, and i love spoilers so thanks.
You have a good grasp on what makes the humor work. I hope it keeps up, too.
Couldnt find any of the art you referred to, but this one for issue 5

https://www.dynamicforces.com/images/TNRSvol405CovAMcKone.jpg

Is pretty damn epic.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2017, 03:56:02 PM »

You are really well informed, and i love spoilers so thanks.
You have a good grasp on what makes the humor work. I hope it keeps up, too.
Couldnt find any of the art you referred to, but this one for issue 5

https://www.dynamicforces.com/images/TNRSvol405CovAMcKone.jpg

Is pretty damn epic.

Yeah, that's a great cover. I LOVED McKone's covers for #2 and 3 as well. Not so much #4 and in his cover for #6, Sonja looks like a 12 year old with Lion-O's hairstyle.

Solicits for #7 are here, together with McKone's cool cover (it's the top one):

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/15/exclusive-first-look-dynamites-heroes-fighters-comics-shipping-july-2017/

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2017, 06:45:46 PM »

Oh, and I'm not that well-informed ...  there's a guy I discuss Sonja with a lot on deviantART who knows more about the character than anyone. He's an excellent judge of how well a writer's doing and he's really enjoying Amy Chu's run.

I keep an eye out for any interviews or reviews about 'Red Sonja' because it's not that well-known a comic and so doesn't get all that much coverage. Everyone's heard of the character but relatively few read the comic. Gail Simone got tons of publicity when she jumped on board because she's so famous but otherwise, I think people are generally just aware the comic's rolling on.

It's a shame because this run is fucking fantastic IMO. Yeah, if you don't like the old 'barbarian ends up in the modern world' chestnut, it's probably not going to be for you but not only is it different from every barbarian time travel story I've read, it's different from pretty much any Sonja story that's come before it. It's just so much funnier and full of life. It's a real breath of fresh air after Gail Simone's experiment in PC failed miserably and after Simone seemingly used her own run to vent about what exactly she hated about the character and the overall genre. People don't read 'Red Sonja' for restraint and introspective moments, they read it for balls-out action and a babe in a metal bikini swinging a sword. There's a lot of talk about the female readership but even feminist extraordinaire Gail Simone's Sonja spent half her run in the bikini, the character's incredibly popular with cosplayers, and loads of female fans state that they don't care what Sonja wears as long as she drives the plot and kicks arse. Sales are way up on the last volume, so it seems Dynamite has hit on the right formula with the current team.

I'm just really glad you're enjoying the book as much as I am.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2017, 09:03:53 PM »

As for spoilers, Amy Chu does everything she can to avoid divulging anything, even in interviews about upcoming issues. Carlis Gomez puts up the odd tantalising preview on Instagram, usually unlettered. .. he's cunning about what he posts so it's really difficult to piece the story together. For example, most of his previews for #4 were of Gath standing around, bar a pic of Sonja leaping into action, a flashback to the destruction of Meru and a panel showing the museum on fire.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2017, 05:00:56 AM »

Sounds like you have this on lock, though.
Been a long time since i've enjoyed a series this much. Your enthusiasm is catchy!

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »

Erik Burnham's one-shot is out on Wednesday. It's basically the prequel to Amy Chu's series so the ending won't be a surprise but it looks like it's gonna be tons of fun. It's much more of a traditional Sonja story set in the Hyborian Age but Burnham's been paying close attention to Amy's version of the She-Devil, and his Sonja looks like a hoot, griping about having to sit behind a guy on a horse and sinking endless beers. It's not short on action, with a thug getting his nose cut off in the first three pages and a better fight in the first third of the comic than Chu has managed in all of her series so far. Tom Mandrake's art looks great, less flashy and cartoony than Carlos Gomez' but as good in its own way. I'm actually looking forward to this more than #5 of the main series, out the following Wednesday. The Sword and sorcery setting will make a nice change, and TBH I'm getting a bit bored of the Gath storyline ... not Sonja in the modern US necessarily, I think there's loads more mileage there - just this particular arc.

If the rest of the comic lives up to the pages I've seen, Burnham will join Chu as a first-time Sonja writer who understands and respects the character infinitely better than the much-ballyhooed Gail Simone ever did.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »

My astonished takeaway here is Tom Mandrake on art chores. Havent thought of him in years.
I first got to know him on Grimjack, another sword weilding character, in the late 80s.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »

My astonished takeaway here is Tom Mandrake on art chores. Havent thought of him in years.
I first got to know him on Grimjack, another sword weilding character, in the late 80s.

His art here is fantastic, particularly the creepier pages with Kulan Gath. His Sonja isn't as strong as Carlos' IMO but his Hyrkanian plains and taverns look like suitably wild and dangerous places.

I'd like to see more from him on Sonja. Erik Burnham seemed starstruck to be working with him

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »

That's great to know, imma Google some of his work on this!

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2017, 11:16:50 AM »

That's great to know, imma Google some of his work on this!

Preview is here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Red_Sonja_The_Long_Walk_To_Oblivion_One.html?id=tVu8DgAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y

The first 4-5 pages are available at CBR etc. but if you're smart with search words on Google Books, you might find some of the pages later in the book.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »

^^^Score!
Thanks, man.

Sick Nick

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2017, 06:54:36 AM »

Just read it ... this is much more of a basic 'Sonja in the Hyborian Age' story and doesn't really bring anything new to the table but it is WELL worth buying. It's got a fucking awesome fight scene in the first half, where Sonja takes out 5 or 6 guys by herself with ease, lots of humorous little touches and Mandrake's art is really good. Sonja is much cockier here than she is in the main series but she's on her home turf, so that's to be expected. The scene at the end is Sonja taking on Kulan Gath's demon, as she did in #0 but this fight is much better than Amy Chu's take. This is Erik Burnham's first Sonja outing but like Amy, he's immediately understood the character in a way Gail Simone never did.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5