Herochat

Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »
Glad you liked it!

I hate to say it butI thought #10 was a mild letdown. Be interested to hear what you thought, RIV

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2018, 01:02:23 AM »
Did you mean 20?
I kinda liked it. Skath screwed the pooch, didnt he? It was nice seeing him tell the tale of his own undoing, though.
Sonja’s last 2 panels of the issue were hilarious and hot, respectively.

The simplicity of the story/events u can see unsatisfactory, but, i dont want this dragged out, either, so i’m okay w. the lack of depth.

you’ll never see me coming...

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2018, 04:38:54 AM »
Fair enough. It just seems to me that the writers threw out a few red herrings that were more interesting than what actually happened. This issue just seemed really predictable - the only surprises were Lera fighting against Sandak and Skath being hammered for the big push. I know there’s s lot to get through for the end of the storyline but no amulet or Clonja this issue? Why did Sandak dump his prized shark
in a moat where no one can see it? How did Skath, a guy who probably hasn’t fought in ten or twenty years and who has to be at least sixty, get to the point in an hour or so where he can stalemate or beat the mighty Red Sonja in a sparring bout?

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2018, 06:07:07 AM »
Well that last question is easily answered. He’s Cimmerian, by Crom!

Your other questions are what i meant by simplicity, and how unsatisfied some will be with how things turned out.
Truthfully, i was, too, a little, but, i also didnt want the story dragged out, so to me its not all bad.
The most realistic part of the whole story was Skath getting shitfaced after getting everybody all hopeful. As someone who’s dealt w. drunks and been a drunk, i have to say thats about par for the course!
Really looking forward to the shark fight (which yeah, would have been better in a giant tank), and fully expecting a last minute Skath rescue of the whole uprising.

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2018, 06:11:52 AM »
Yeah, Skath will inevitably be the difference maker ... it's interesting that Sonja never really gets to save the day in Amy's run though. In the first arc, it was Max who really took down Gath. In the second arc, it was Wallace and in the third, it was the Demon Beast.

Skath being plastered was realistic and did take me by surprise ... I also like that Amy's differentiated between Skath, a full-on alcoholic, and Sonja, who just enjoys a few beers when she gets a chance, whereas Gail Simone straight up said her Sonja had a serious drinking problem

The shark thing is different at least and came from a time when Amy and Erik were stranded in the Mall Of America during a snowstorm after a con and went to look at the sharks there. I asked a friend who's read pretty much every Sonja story about whether she's fought sharks before and she's done so 3 or 4 times ... in one case, she took down a monstrous demon shark the size of a megalodon. No idea how big this shark is supposed to be but I wish Carlos had drawn that panel like the Jaws poster with Sonja on the surface and the shark's head looming underneath. There's a preview panel on Carlos' Instagram showing Sonja throwing a punch and while it's not clear, it looks to me like there's a load of water spraying around here and something that looks like a giant shark tooth flying through the air in the foreground!

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2018, 07:21:47 AM »
Sonja punching out a shark. Yeah, they grew women TOUGH in the Hyborean age!!!
The JAWS poster is what that last panel reminded me of, only this time, the shark’s not going to get away w. it. A straight up homage though, like you wanted? Thst would've been pretty dope!

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2018, 07:37:19 AM »
Sonja punching out a shark. Yeah, they grew women TOUGH in the Hyborean age!!!
The JAWS poster is what that last panel reminded me of, only this time, the shark’s not going to get away w. it. A straight up homage though, like you wanted? Thst would've been pretty dope!

I've got all the respect in the world for Carlos but I think he dropped the ball with that panel. I loved how he drew Sonja, especially her hair ... I don't think he's drawn her with wet hair since #3 and he does that really well. The shark, though, is kinda just a black blob in the background. We can't get any idea of its size. There's so much empty space as well for the water.

A Jaws homage would've worked better. I remember Marvel did a story of Zabu, Ka-Zar's pet sabretooth, and the artist did an amazing Jaws homage, a long-angle shot of him kittypaddling across a river with a MASSIVE crocodile swimming up at him from underneath.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2018, 05:53:38 PM »
Nick, what the heck is this...?

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2018, 04:08:38 AM »
Looks like 'Legenderry', which is a steam punk take on Sonja. Apparently, it's VERY good.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2018, 01:13:13 AM »
Never heard of. Must seek!

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2018, 05:28:10 AM »
I remember Marvel did a story of Zabu, Ka-Zar's pet sabretooth, and the artist did an amazing Jaws homage, a long-angle shot of him kittypaddling across a river with a MASSIVE crocodile swimming up at him from underneath.
Was this it? Its pretty damn cool....:

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2018, 11:35:20 AM »
Yeah, that's the one ... I love that pic! That's one monster crocodile, more in line with the prehistoric Sarchosuchus or Deinosuchus than modern salties or Nile crocs.

Even cooler is that Zabu get dragged down and then kills it offpanel in next to no time.

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
I know! That was cool.
Also, he looks so cute just paddling away though...!

Sick Nick

• +8/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2018, 06:47:34 AM »
I just read an advance review of Red Sonja #21 and...

SPOILERS

yes, Sonja punches a shark in the face! Do fish have faces???!

Riv1

• +63/-1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »
Not after Sonja punches them!!!