Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?  (Read 1916 times)

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »

Explain this Red Sonja character?

Is she Xena and shit or is she way more doper like a Sister of Battle from WarHammer 40k?

What?  You've never read Red Sonja?  She's been based in Conan's time period for the most part and has quiet a few stories with him over the years.  So, you do get the sword and sorcery spin for her also.  I think for the most part stories with her are pretty good.  Right now Dynamite is printing Red Sonja.  In the past it was Marvel.

He's being funny.

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »

OK, so the issue came out today, and it totally lived up to my expectations. On top of the recap I already posted…

SPOILERS

After Gath sends his people after Sonja, her cop buddy Max finds her in the Harlem bar first, crashed out drunk with her new drinking buddies. I’m guessing he found her pretty damn quickly, as six foot tall redheads (as he describes her to the bar lady) aren’t that commonplace in Harlem. Some time has elapsed, though, as the bar lady asks if Max is settling her tab, which is … $837?!? And all her’s, apparently. They show the receipt … Sonja sank 279 beers by herself. That’s fucking hardcore, man.

Sidenote: when Max is describing Sonja, he doesn’t start talking about metal bikinis. It’s interesting but since the ‘naked lady’ stuff at the beginning of #1, Amy Chu hasn’t mentioned Sonja’s scanty outfit at all. Even Luis doesn’t comment on it when he challenges her to the armwrestle, his buddy just calls her ‘the pretty lady’, and while she attracts a bit of attention on the Harlem streets, nobody takes a second look at her in the bar. I get the sense that Amy’s doing everything she can to take the spotlight off Sonja’s costume; in early interviews, she acknowledged Sonja was back in those togs but skilfully dodged around questions like ‘So isn’t Sonja’s butt going to get cold on the subway?’ I think the costume change in Marguerite Bennett’s series was a resounding failure, so Dynamite have restored Sonja’s classic look, but Amy’s focussing on the story. Even Carlos Gomez has slightly played down the T&A shots in this issue, at least while Sonja’s in public. There’s a big difference between this issue and #0, where there are at least 3 panels of Sonja leaping into action, with her loincloth flapping around and her buttcheeks on full display.

Anyway, I digress.

Gath’s agents turn up … the two mammoths from the mental hospital scene and some Matrix-looking agents. They accuse the barwoman of harbouring an illegal alien or some such, she calls them out and brings up the Matrix thing (I think the lead agent’s even called ‘Smith’). One of the big guys goes to grab Sonja but Luis wakes up, and that’s where we came in with the barfight.
After Max and Sonja escape, they jump on Max’ motorbike and speed away, with Max telling Sonja to stop moving around and her yelling what fun she’s had. Don’t forget this woman knocked back 279 beers by herself not long before. No sign of a hangover … not only that but she stays on the back of a speeding bike without holding on  AND in the fight, she chucked a table across a bar into a big goon with one hand. Fucking hardcore, man. Conan’s got nothing on this. She left that stolen jacket in the bar though, how careless.
Then we have a few pages in Max’ apartment – he wakes up with a bad head, saying he didn’t even have anything to drink. Sonja’s sat there, fresh as a daisy, butt naked and enthusing about the ‘magic tablet’ (TV). She’s managed to work the remote by herself, another sign of her smarts. Chu talked in interviews about how Sonja was a warrior and not an intellectual but she’s so much cannier here than she was under Gail Simone.

Max is aghast at Sonja’s nakedosity and throws her a robe, with her being confused about why being in the buff is unacceptable. REALLY funny interplay here. We learn more about Max’ background … his parents died when he was a baby and he was found by another family during a blackout like the one in #0, which preceded Sonja’s arrival. Looks like Max might be from Sonja’s own world…
Max was never really accepted at school but turned to magic, learning a neat trick with a coin, spinning it fast enough to disappear. Probably the weakest page of the comic here, I’m not sure why it needed a whole page but I imagine this coin thing will turn out to be important later on. Sonja’s contempt for Max’ magical ability is amusing though.

Finally, Max tells Sonja to take a bath, she reeks. We get a really funny panel with Sonja in the tub, rhapsodising about the ability to get hot water without a fire; the bathroom door is wide open and Max is desperately trying to look elsewhere. Max says he’s taking the garbage out but suggests Sonja might want to think about closing the door.

Last page: Gath’s agents have found Max outside on the street and are chasing him!!! Those two big gorillas have bandages around their heads from Sonja’s double noggin knocker.

Next issue, Sonja will inevitably spring to the rescue. One of the preview panels on Carlos’ page shows her battling the agents (in her leather jacket and chainmail bikini) with Max in the background (still with his garbage bag). Intriguingly, she’s wielding a sword … wonder whether Max keeps one in the ironing cupboard. It looks like a katana, rather than Sonja’s usual broadsword. She’s meant to get her weapons back in #3 but I wonder if Carlos had to go back and change this panel.

Overall, a fucking great issue … by far the best in this series and it stomps all over anything Gail Simone did with the character. This is definitely the flat-out funniest Sonja issue I’ve ever read and the action was amazing for being so brief. Like I said elsewhere, a lesser writer would just show Sonja throwing a few punches but Amy’s much more imaginative.

Highest recommendation. Chu and Gomez had better stay on this comic for a while.

Dlbiininja

• Norbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »

Fuck, I'm working in Portland this week.  Have to call the book store to make my picks this week.  And make sure they add that.

MTL76

• King Jaffe Joffer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 05:29:21 AM »

I liked this issue better.

I agree, Max definitely comes from Sonya's world.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »

This one's been scoring pretty well on reviews, mainly 4/5. Given what a bad rep Dynamite has, that's almost miraculous. Most attention has gone to Sonja's carousing but those last few pages at Max' were the standout for me.

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 10:30:45 AM »

If not, why not? It is fucking AWESOME.
I've been quietly reading (not spamming) this thread, getting more curious by the post. The book seems to have many of the things i enjoy (red heads, action, humor, genre mixing, good art).
Read the series online this morning and man, you were on point. This is great stuff, thanks for turning me on to it.

You are more than welcome. I've started on some fanart of this series.

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »

Sonja's return to her old togs has turned off a lot of readers, particularly female ones, but Amy Chu is working damn hard to take the emphasis away from that. She clearly loves Carlos Gomez as an artist but she talks about how great he is at action sequences and expressions. Glad your spouse liked it too!

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 04:55:05 AM »

Another fucking five weeks away ... 15th March, I think. The following ish is another 5 wks after that. At least the comics are turning up on their scheduled release date though, Dynamite used to be terrible about that in the past.

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »

Whoo, 5 weeks is harsh! But yeah, could be worse. I HATE shitty release schedules.
I'll mark the 15th on my calender.
If you get around to posting some art, i'll surely check it out.

Here you go, buddy!

http://conradknightsocks.deviantart.com/art/Red-Sonja-busts-heads-662369322

I'll be working on the second panel over the weekend...

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 09:46:11 AM »

Neat thanks -thumbs up-
Is that you as Gastuon cuz thats awesome!

Fraid so! That's the point when I realised I needed to do some serious work on my arms!

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 01:46:22 AM »

I'd trade an inch offa mine for a bit of your skill with a pencil. I'm strictly a doodler.

:)

BTW,  the next ish might be 5 wks away but with the last issue, Google Books posted preview pages about 10 days ahead of the release date. They included snippets of script so it was quite easy to uncover preview pages I shouldn't have done

Kallor

• Norbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2017, 03:39:40 AM »

Looking on Comixology Unlimited, it appears that they have the first couple trades available for "free" of most Sonja series, there's 6 or 7 issues of the Marvel Roy Thomas stuff in the 70's, the Dynamite launch (looks like Oeming is the writer), "Queen Sonja", Simone, Bennet, the first Conan/Red Sonja crossover and various one-shots and minis like Revenge of the Gods and Black Tower.  Anything I should read, or just that you'd recommend, before jumping into Chu's series?

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 06:51:01 AM »

Oeming's run was fucking awesome, at least the first 20 issues or so - great stories and Mel Rubi's art was beautiful, like Cary Nord's Conan work. I HIGHLY recommend Oeming/Carey's run. People rave about the Marvel stuff but I find it a bit silly and dated. The best mini is Red Sonja: Blue - in fact, I think it's the best Sonja story ever period. Anything by Eric Trautmann is really good, he did his homework on the Hyborian Age and took it seriously. Doom of the Gods is REALLY bleak but I loved it myself. Luke Lieberman's work is generally pretty good too.

Queen Sonja was very good as well but obvs more about Sonja as ruler and general than as adventurer. The recent Vulture's Circle got good reviews but I didn't read it ... it's about a much older Sonja.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:54:09 AM by Sick Nick »

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 07:09:40 AM »

Amy Chu just sent Bleeding Cool a commentary for this issue. Her commentaries are always an interesting insight into the process behind her stories.

In this case and of relevance to Sonja's abilities, Amy said she did indeed include the duck kill as a demo of Sonja's brute strength and accuracy and to show her destructive abilities without having her hurt a human.

Amy toyed with having a wrestling match instead of an armwrestling match but she went with the latter so as not to disrupt the flow of the scene and to keep in the same location.  I think she definitely made the right choice ... how many bars do you walk into with actual wrestling matches going on? Yet I've had a few armwrestles at pubs myself, one of them even against a former SHC poster. Also, if the ultimate aim is to show off Sonja's strength, it's harder to play the "skill" card with an armwrestle.

Interestingly,  Amy fessed up that there was a typo on the bar tab and Sonja didn'the actually knock back 270+ beers ... she intended to write her matching Andre the Giant's record of 119. The wrong beer price went on the tab. Amy's no-prize explanation was that Sonja bought a few rounds for her new friends.

Lastly, and it doesn't necessarily mean much, Chu off handedly refers to Sonja as a "superhuman" on the commentary to one page...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:38:23 PM by Sick Nick »

Sick Nick

• Doctor Doolittle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »

#0 is available for free on Bleeding Cool now. It's not a great issue - mainly a demo of Gomez' art and even then, his art improves as the series goes on, with more detailed backgrounds and less emphasis on the She-Devil Devil's buttocks. There are a couple of weird inconsistencies with the art and story ... OTOH this is the only point in the series so far that Sonja's drawn blood with her sword. Worth a look for free, anyway, and if you enjoy this, you'll love the later issues.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:37:39 PM by Sick Nick »
Pages: 1 [2] 3