Herochat

Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone reading the current series of ‘Red Sonja’?
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2018, 12:41:09 AM »
If only she’d gone to a strip club... :o

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2018, 03:42:21 AM »
If only she’d gone to a strip club... :o

Ha, I could totally see her doing that! Sonja’s well used to brothels and harlots ... hell, towards the end of the first Dynamite run, she went undercover in a brothel disguised as a whore - her costume was basically a jewelled head dress plus her usual outfit!
Hyrkanian Badass

He'll be buying drinks all night then.

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2018, 06:03:02 AM »
^^^haha!!!

Yeah, they missed out on a funny scene or two not using that idea.
So, evil Sonja clone, is the theory, eh?

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2018, 07:50:44 AM »
Definitely a clone and the fact she isn’t trying to tear out Gath’s throat means she’s probably on his side

Mind you, the Sonja and Wallace who went through hell could be the clones, for all we know...

I smell a Sonja vs Sonja battle coming up. Won’t be the first time that’s happened.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »
I like the smell of THAT!

scourge broke first

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2018, 01:41:10 AM »
We definitely got that battle, you called it.

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2018, 05:22:36 PM »
Apparently it was a late addition ... co-writer Erik Burnham’s idea.

This issue was BADASS, kicking off (no pun intended) with Sonja booting a guy in the face and later you’ve got that clone fight and even a Star Wars tribute leading to Sonja bursting out of heavy chains. Apparently she was intended to be bound with loose ropes but Carlos Gomez LOVES drawing Sonja pulling off feats of strength and it was his idea to upgrade to steel chains. The scene with Gath persuading the clone to join him was really effective too.

Fantastic issue all round but predictably it was completely overlooked in the excitement surrounding Gail Simone’s Sonja/ Tarzan crossover.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2018, 12:53:22 AM »
TBH i havent even glanced at that crossover.

I’m in agreement that this issue was good, though. Clone Sonja being wooed by Gath made me sad for her. The chains were -much- more effective at getting across Sonja’s badassery than mere ropes would have been.

And how in TF could a Sonja/Sonja fight -not- have been a first draft idea?!?

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
Apparently Amy intended the teo clones to remain behind in Cali and die as soon as Sonja amd Wallace went through the portal ... but Erik saw an evil Sonja as a great opportunity. He hinted in his commentary that she might not be done for good...
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »
Her coming back would be cool. See how she turns out after time on her own, not beholden to Gath.

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »
The next storyline sounds like an interesting change of pace set n Hyboria with no Gath.

That chains panel was fucking sick though. There’s doubt over its validity but I couldn’t see even Cap or Conan snapping those things. Proper superhuman feat
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »
If a mere ginger wench could snap those chains, two manly men such as Cap and Conan surely could as well!!!! ;)

You said the next story line’s about Sonja’s sword, right? Thst -will- be a nice change.
Enough Gath.

scourge broke first

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2018, 11:06:42 PM »
For a story that ran on a little too long, and had its ups and downs, it came through w. a satisfying ending.
I especially liked the epilogue, as it might be what we were hoping for a couple of posts back.

scourge broke first

Sick Nick

• +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2018, 08:48:58 AM »
#17 comes out tomorrow and the preview is here:

https://graphicpolicy.com/2018/06/26/preview-red-sonja-vol-4-17/

Carlos Gomez has handed over the art reins to Daniel HDR for this one so that they can catch up with the scheduled release dates and his art looks bloody good. He draws a muscular, tough-looking Sonja and makes every single panel count. His style is maybe a bit more ‘traditional western comics’ than Carlos’ but it really works. When Carlos inevitably leaves the title, Daniel HDR would make a superb replacement. #18 is due in about two weeks and Carlos will be back for that one, although I am 99.9999% sure they’ll push back that release date by a week or two.

Going on the (very good) review it received from Super-Powered Fancast, #17 will probably be a set-up issue for the rest of the arc, which involves Sonja seeking out Lord Skath, the previous owner of her blade. I think the rest of #17 is going to be Sonja finding out about Skath and then declaring she’s going to find him, so quite a quiet issue action-wise but that’s OK. The rest of the storyline sounds like loads of fun, with Sonja travelling to Cimmeria and ending up as head of security for some evil aristocrat running an auction of Cimmerian holy relics. According to the solicits, we won’t meet Skath until #21 but there’ll be plenty of adventure on the way.

I’m glad that Amy didn’t skip over the fact that Sonja’s returned to the Hyborian Age slightly outside of her own time, so like Skath, she’s going to be something of a faded legend herself. I also love the big ‘unkillable’ lug in the preview … that was a great way for Sonja to find somebody both recognisable and formidable to spar with during an age that barely remembers her.

I enjoyed #16 overall. Could’ve done with Sonja more in the limelight and Gath was pretty easily beaten after such a big build up. Max didn’t figure as much in his defeat as I’d thought he might. I loved the ‘Return Of The King’ multiple endings, though – this was really a three-story saga, with the NYC, cross-country trip and Hell/Meru arcs running into each other. Such a huge story deserved a proper ending. I also loved that Amy looks to have drawn a line under Max, Wallace and the modern world. It’s gonna be all Hyborian Era from hereon hopefully. That ending with Gath’s amulet being stolen though … ugh. So ‘Flash Gordon’. Even worse, it sounds like that amulet may well figure into this upcoming storyline, even if Gath himself doesn’t.
Hyrkanian Badass

Riv1

• +69/-1060
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2018, 03:20:54 PM »
NICK!
Thought you’d taken off for parts unknown.

Great post as usual (didnt realize this was a 3 act play until you said it), and your link really wet my appetite. I really hope we’ve seen the last of Gath for a long time.
The amulet though, i thought might have been nabbed by Dark Sonja? 
Or did i miss something?

scourge broke first