Herochat

'96 Bulls in Today's NBA

Pillow Biter

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
'96 Bulls in Today's NBA
« on: January 27, 2017, 02:14:37 AM »
Imagine if at the end of last season, the 2016 Chicago Bulls were replaced with the 1996 squad. The squad gets the off season to learn the new rules, and then starts the 2016 season.
Can they beat the Cavs? The new Warriors?

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
Re: '96 Bulls in Today's NBA
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
I'm just going to focus offensively here for the time being. I may go into greater detail if there is more interest. This just my opinion so keep that in mind....

The hand check rule is the single greatest change to the game of basketball in the last 50 years. I have personal experience with playing basketball in both eras both before and after the hand check rule was implemented.

I cannot overstate the importance of this. A perimeter players ability to get into the restricted area is a vital aspect of any offense, with the negation of the hand check rule quick skilled perimeter players now have license to run amok in the paint. There's simply no way to effectively guard a decently quick uber athletic basketball player. It's just not happening without hand checking.

As someone who played the game at a high level the ability to control an offensive player movements, or the very least track them with your outstretched appendage is invaluable and provides you those extra seconds of reaction time to properly coordinate your defensive efforts.

Jordan dominated the NBA during an era where the hand check rule wasn't just in place, it was fucking abused. Gary Payton would straight up stiff arm rape your lunch all fucking game.

Just using basic logic dictates that Jordan and Pippen would have a fucking field day in the modern NBA. With the more lax rules favoring perimeter play you have the same Jordan who was dominating a more defensively oriented NBA only in an essentially easier setting. The NBA athletes of today are not so much greater in terms of pure athleticism that it would make up for or overshadow Jordan's almost equally impressive athleticism combined with his all time great level of skill.

They'd certainly be favored to win it all imo.

I'm serious about that hand check shit too. Jordan would literally dunk on everyone every time down the court without that rule in place. It would be really, really bad almost constantly. Grown men would cry very sad tears and I'm not even slightly joking.

It'd be ugly.

For real y'all.

Pillow Biter

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »
The hand check rule change was ultimately paired with the zone defense rule change. I think both are huge, and often offsetting, changes.
I'm an amateur fan at best, but from what I've seen, despite the no hand check rule, it's mostly a perimeter game these days. The Bigs are smaller and less dominant. You gotta be able to shoot.
So I'm not sure that anyone is consistently scoring with high percentage from the inside. On the other hand, Jordan in '96 had begun his transition from Air Jordan to his more mature game. So I'm unsure how often he will try driving for the basket.

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:18:58 PM »
The hand check rule change was ultimately paired with the zone defense rule change. I think both are huge, and often offsetting, changes.
I'm an amateur fan at best, but from what I've seen, despite the no hand check rule, it's mostly a perimeter game these days. The Bigs are smaller and less dominant. You gotta be able to shoot.
So I'm not sure that anyone is consistently scoring with high percentage from the inside. On the other hand, Jordan in '96 had begun his transition from Air Jordan to his more mature game. So I'm unsure how often he will try driving for the basket.

You play the game to your strengths. In 96' hand checking was everywhere. Without it Jordan is getting to the hoop. That's his game, always was. Hand checking made him mature that game. Without it, there's literally nothing stopping him.

It's dunks and mid range and layups for an average of close to 40 ish a game.

Defenses were factually better in an era where defenses had rules in place to help them defend better.

Pillow Biter

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »
You don't think you are underestimating the impact of zone defenses and the overall evolution of the game? What kind of FG% would Jordan have?

JookDukem

• +24/-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »
You don't think you are underestimating the impact of zone defenses and the overall evolution of the game? What kind of FG% would Jordan have?

I think I might be. Give me until later tonight after I get off of work to put some more thought into this.

Appreciate you getting my hoopin juices flowing. As someone who hjas recently been inundated with work for the past 6 months it's nice to be able to devote time to thinking about the nuances of the game.

DarthAlani

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:59:13 PM »
Jordan would average 40 a game in today's pussy rules.

pittfox

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 07:45:34 AM »
Despite lack of athleticism, I always think the Jazz of that era would give modern teams trouble with fundamental basketball.

Pillow Biter

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 11:29:12 AM »
What would be interesting to see would be what kind of outside shot and range Jordan could and would develop in today's game. It may be that he shot as well as he could. Some people will never be great, first-rate shooters. On the other hand, with Jordan you get the feeling (perhaps a wistful one) that he could pretty much do or develop any skill he needed to win. So maybe he'd turn into Steph Curry on roids, with like a 45% 3-point shot, capable of near half-court range.
Jordan does get mythologized a lot. But damn. Dude was something special. Competitive to a sociopathic level, though.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 12:13:01 PM »
One of my most enduring Jordan memories was a game in which he was dribbling down court with the ball and the only person between him and the basket was Patrick Ewing. This was towards the end of Ewing's career when he really wasn't that mobile and he sported those enormous knee pads. But still. Jordan just made Ewing look like a collapsing statue as he blew past him. Ewing's head went one way, his arms went another, his legs went a third direction. He looked as if he were having a fit (or a commotion.)

Afterwards Ewing just shrugged at the camera. As if he were saying, "What the fuck did you expect to happen?"

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Clownprince23

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/833257-michael-jordan-could-he-really-score-50-with-the-hand-check-rules-in-place

Here's an article that compares stats pre and post hand check rule enforcement.

It looks at the ratio of assists to field goals. After the rule was enforced more, the ratio went down, meaning players are getting more wide open shots.

Also the number of high scoring games used to be by bigger players in the post. After the change, it's now mostly perimeter players with high scoring games.

Pillow Biter

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
It is certainly a complex question. There were many rule changes. Average scoring hasn't changed dramatically, but how teams score certainly has, as was mentioned.
It's not just rule changes, but also changes in in player skill sets and how teams have analyzed the game.
The question often comes up under the aegis of the seemingly simpler question of "how many points would Jordan score today?"
But that is the wrong answer. In today's game, it isn't about how much you score but how well: what's your efficiency?

If we take Jordan, the question becomes how high could he have elevated his perimeter shooting game if required? And we don't really know. But something makes me think he could have become a serious 3-point threat if required.

GeneralPresidentSkeletor

• +49/-15
  • "He speaks so well!" - white people, everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 02:41:29 AM »
The '96 Bulls suddenly dumped into the modern era would crash and burn. Why?

2 words: Social. Media.

Massaging their egos and handling the team as social media developed is one thing. Suddenly being thrust into all of this nonsense? HAHAHAHAHA. I'd LOVE to see it. Mike would probably have the mental focus to deal with all of the distractions, but everyone else? Hell no.

Dennis Rodman with a Twitter page when he was the NBA equivalent of a diva WR? He'd have meltdown after meltdown and kill himself before the All-Star break. Scottie would be too busy on Instagram sliding into "models" DM's. Scottie would have like, 9 kids by December. Steve Kerr would be memed into an early retirement. Bison Dele would go fucking jihad, for real. Dickie Simpkins would be Snapchatting shit left and right because he has nothing else to do. Toni Kukoc would get fucking EXPOSED on the court. And as "loved" as Mike was by faggy casuals, there were a hell of a lot of folks that hated his fucking GUTS...just no way to let him know constantly. Maybe that'd fuel him, maybe not...but the rest of the team would have to put up with his moodiness even more than before. Phil ain't ready to handle all of that shit in less than a year.

Prime

• I'm in there like swimwear...
  • +4/-24
  • Av/Sig:Bria Myles
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »
I'm on my phone so I can't go into this in depth....but I dunno. Their perimeter D wouldn't be as good because of the rule changes. But they'd destroy the Cavs and Warriors on the boards. Jordan's midrange game is defense proof. I also disagree with Skel. Rodman was not a diva, at least on the court. In fact by the time he got to Chicago he was pretty calm while he'd annoy the shit out of opponents. Rodman would get ALL THE WAY IN Draymond Green's head and get him to flagrant foul/get t'd up and get ejected. While outdefending him and making look stupid when it comes to grabbing boards.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:21:04 PM by Prime »

herochat

• +102/-80
  • The People's Martyrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 12:24:16 AM »
They would DOMINATE. And not even necessarily because of Jordan
The tree grows high but the oxygen fails to reach all the branches.