Herochat

Lost Nostalgia

AP

• +48/-47
    • View Profile
Lost Nostalgia
« on: January 08, 2017, 05:44:12 AM »
This post is to see if anyone remembers the toys from the 80's called Go-Rillas. I loved them as a kid. As a toy, they were pretty basic: a combination of stuffed animal and toy car. The plush gorillas stuck out of the top of plastic cars that you could roll around. You couldn't take the gorillas out of the car and play with them or anything as they were connected. I guess the idea was that they were driving their cars but were so big, they popped out of the tops or something. It looked silly with their over-sized top halves exposed and their bottom halves hidden under cars that were too small for them, but I guess that was the point. I would always try to pull them out but they were pretty much stuck in there. Chances are, if I somehow managed to pull one out, I would find just a bunch of cotton and chunks of plastic where their legs should be. When I played with them, I would pretend one Go-Rilla was trying to pull another Go-Rilla out of his car and I would have him shout, "No, I'm part of the machine! I'm part of the machine!".  For some reason, I would imagine their flesh had somehow fused with the engines of their cars.
You might remember, each Go-Rilla had its own style and car. The main one was Malibu Mike who was a gorilla wearing a Hawaiian shirt with sun glasses and his car was a dune buggy. They had a bunch of others: there was a girl gorilla who drove a pink corvette, a construction worker in a hard hat driving a bulldozer, a 50's-era rocker in a red Cadillac, a cowboy one driving a pick-up truck, etc. They even had different series, which was common with toys at the time. They had an emergency worker series (an ambulance driver, firefighter, and a police officer), a bunch of "Mini-Monkeys" which were just spider monkeys driving around in Hot Wheels sized cars (I think they were trying to rip-off Micro Machines or something), and I think they even had a few military based ones during Desert Storm (I remember at least one tank Go-Rilla... it was the 80's, so parents were more likely to be okay with toys being used for war propaganda). I think they might have even branched off at one point and started doing other animals besides gorillas.

They had a cartoon, because all 80's toys had their own cartoon series, which were basically 30 minute long commercials, let's face it. The ridiculous thing about the cartoon was that they never got out of their cars there either. They would got to school and would be scooting around the halls in their cars and stuff.

I remember one episode vividly because it aired the day President Reagan was shot. I remember my parents talking in the kitchen and my mom was crying. I was too young to fully understand what had happened at the time, but I remember that something wasn't right. So, while that was going on, I would watch the Go-Rilla episode. The episode revolved around the Go-Rilla named Dan Van who drove a GMC van. Dan Van was sort of the jokester of the group that was always pulling pranks on the others. The episode started with him in a race with some of the other Go-Rillas and one of his pranks backfires and everyone ends up crashing, including him. He smashes through a wall and there, he comes across a cult of rats who tried to brainwash him with some kind of hypnotic weapon. He escaped and tried to warn the others, but they didn't believe him due to the number of pranks he played on them over the years. Sure enough, the rats got out and started hypnotizing everyone in order to bring them over to their cult and Dan Van had to rescue them. It was a weird episode, and I remember my mom crying so loudly that I couldn't always get what was going on.

The reason why I'm asking is because I seem to be the only person my age who remembers it.  I sold all my toys in yard sales when I was younger, so they're not around any more.  I asked my parents, but since I had so many toys, they never kept track, so they were no help.  Google searches haven't gone well either, for some reason.   Some people thought I must have been dreaming, but I tell them about the episode I saw the day President Reagan was shot by John Hinkley Jr. That would have put the air date sometime in the year 1981. I tell them that everyone remembers the tiny details when a president dies, but then they look at me and tell me Reagan died in 2004.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:55:59 PM by AP »

HalloweenJack

• +13/-5
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »
BRRRRRRRRRRRNNNN

but i like it.

Clownprince23

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:38:06 PM »
First thing that comes to mind is Magilla Gorilla and the Wacky Races, but I dont' think that is it.

Clownprince23

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:38:54 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animated_television_series_of_1981

I didn't see anything on this list. It has other years too.

scourge

• +23/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:07:11 PM »
This was good and you totally played at least one person

scourge

• +23/-9
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 10:07:59 PM »
Had a dream about the Bernsteinverse

AP

• +48/-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 02:34:33 AM »
This was good and you totally played at least one person

Yeah, I was trying to incorporate as much 80-ness into this.  I even stole a plot from Rescue Rangers.

It was my attempt at a Creepypasta but it ended up being more Twilight Zoney.

Clownprince23

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 10:44:26 AM »
nice