Herochat

New comic stuff worth talking about but not worth its own thread

Hulkster

• +14/-1
    • View Profile
Re: New comic stuff worth talking about but not worth its own thread
« Reply #1860 on: March 09, 2019, 08:57:01 AM »
DM's power portrayal on the original series shows nothing beyond what we've seen from Surfer and shows limits below what we've seen from Surfer. 

The recent fight seems to be a power retcon but Surfer's power set should allow him more dominance than he shows.

I'm not familiar with any implication that DM created the DCU and I don't see where he shows beyond d MXY.  Seems to be a high level team buster.

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: March 09, 2019, 09:13:40 PM »
Not really since he doesnt own the characters. He can disagree with the path but he doesn't get to decide where the characters go. Its no different than Dan Slotts Spider-Man being the same as Stan Lee's Spider-Man.

But I’m saying in terms of power. Are you guys retroactively applying this stuff now?

For example if this Rorschach fights Deathstroke and somehow beats him, are you saying that that is true for how the original character was portrayed in the original series?

XerxesTWD

• +104/-27
  • You can't park here, buddy. Earth is closed today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: March 09, 2019, 09:34:54 PM »
Not really since he doesnt own the characters. He can disagree with the path but he doesn't get to decide where the characters go. Its no different than Dan Slotts Spider-Man being the same as Stan Lee's Spider-Man.

But I’m saying in terms of power. Are you guys retroactively applying this stuff now?

For example if this Rorschach fights Deathstroke and somehow beats him, are you saying that that is true for how the original character was portrayed in the original series?
Retroactively applying what? These showings didn't happen until recently, but the capacity for this exact shit was always obvious from a battle board standpoint. Until the showings actually happened it was easy (and accurate) to label as speculation.

DC can easily come out and say these are similar but not the actual versions, or DC can say they're a continuation of the originals.

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: March 10, 2019, 10:32:03 PM »
What I mean essentially is do you guys believe, for example if Rorschach beats up Deathstroke In the new series that Original Rorschach was intended to do so as well? That this feat counts for him?

MTL76

• +1138/-119
  • Knives in the senate house?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: March 10, 2019, 10:54:21 PM »
The feat would need to be considered in context. It doesn’t mean his original portrayal was meant for him to be on that level. Power creep is real. So are outlier showings, and this might be one of them if Rorschach couldn’t consistently do this. That’s why we get paid the big bucks.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: March 10, 2019, 11:08:14 PM »
Watchmen Dr. Manhattan is nowhere near this powerful. He was presented as not being able to halt a nuclear strike. It's laughable to suggest otherwise. This is a retcon.

Gree

• +46/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: March 11, 2019, 08:32:48 AM »
The feat would need to be considered in context. It doesn’t mean his original portrayal was meant for him to be on that level. Power creep is real. So are outlier showings, and this might be one of them if Rorschach couldn’t consistently do this. That’s why we get paid the big bucks.

Is it a power creep or a retcon?

Would an outlier even make sense?

I mean essentially the originality was really focused on realism aside from Doc Manhattan, and you had Ozy train his whole life to catch a bullet which was seen as superhuman.

And then you have Rorschach, definitively a step or two below that beat up DC Deathstroke. In a new series 30 years later.

To me if Moore isn’t writing it that’s essentially a new character.

Panthergod

• +49/-87
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: March 11, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »
Rorschach did NOT beat Deathstroke. That would be a disgrace.

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: March 11, 2019, 10:24:34 PM »

I'm just says it's not a different character. I don't see anything wrong with how they are portraying him now either since we already seen him manipulate time and space.

It's a different story with Rorschach. Like you said everything focused on realism except DM. With him you still have to into the hierarchy of omnipotence which is hard to figure out without direct comparisons.

Plus we don't even have the same Rorschach now as we did then.

NeoGreenLantern

• +99/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: March 14, 2019, 04:12:06 PM »
Remember most of cosmic heroes were sucked into a black hole in GOTG 1.

This issue confirmed that they are dead.

Not exactly
https://www.newsarama.com/44269-cosmo-recruits-a-new-marvel-cosmic-crew-in-june.html
Exactly not exactly apparently

HalloweenJack

• +43/-10
  • Rowdy AF
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: March 14, 2019, 05:10:04 PM »
So uh....anybody gonna post the scans of the last few pages of Avengers: No Road Home?

Whiskeyclone

• +9/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: March 19, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »
Has Wolverine done anything "noteworthy" with those silly hot claws of his yet?

Red Exodus

• +15/-23
  • The one you've been smashing for!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: March 19, 2019, 03:04:12 PM »
He used them to bust out of Ice Man freezing him.

Abhilegend

• +26/-29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: March 20, 2019, 04:37:36 AM »
So Snyder has White Lantern John Stewart and Flash pulling a molecule man and Franklin Richards and create entire universes for shits and giggles.

https://i.imgur.com/rPYBNEe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NR0ZMAg.jpg

The Captain

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: March 20, 2019, 08:10:27 AM »
On a side note, I would totally buy this series: