Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Unworthy Thor  (Read 1101 times)

Upper_Krust

• King
    • View Profile
Re: Unworthy Thor
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 01:46:04 AM »

Out of curiousity Liam I wonder if you and Jonathanos are still reading Hulk*?

*Totally Awesome or whatever its called nowadays.
You address Omnipotence...tread carefully.

Liam Gallaghers Unibrow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 03:28:43 AM »

Nope. I read it for a while as I wanted to see Pak's Banner scenes, but gave up pretty quickly as it wasn't doing much for me. Followed it via scans online etc for another few issues, but didn't even bother doing that for the most recent one - literally no idea what happened and no interest in finding out. Never really cared for Cho much as a character so once the "what happened to the real Hulk?" mystery played out I was done (not helped by the disgraceful mistreatment and killing of Banner shortly thereafter, not in the TAHulk book of course but it did dampen my enthusiasm nonetheless). I've got zero interest in the upcoming She Hulk book either (calling the book "Hulk" isn't enough to reel me in).

Honestly, my reading of all new Marvel stuff is at the lowest level I can remember. The only ongoing Marvel books I am reading semi-regularly at the moment are Old Man Logan and Punisher, and I'm quite a way behind on both of those now too. I still follow a lot of what is going on via people posting scans on other boards, but in terms of me actually setting out to read new stuff cover to cover these days it is basically 2000AD (and other Dredd-related titles) and that's it. Might give the upcoming X-Men vs Inhumans a shot as I am an unashamed Black Bolt fanboy and the prospect of a fight with Magneto intrigues me, but probably I'll just follow it via scans rather than actually pay for it unless I am seriously impressed by what I see (unlikely based on the form of Marvel event books). Like you, I find the monthly comic format to be pretty unfulfilling these days for a variety of reasons, even aside from my favourite Marvel character being put on ice after years of editorial mishandling.

I am getting through quite a lot of trades currently of slightly older stuff where you can get whole, lengthy runs collected for reasonable prices. I'm re-reading Punisher MAX as that is being re-printed in its entirety (it was almost impossible to get previously unless you had a few hundred quid to splash on single trades). I've read it before but it's so good and it's been years since I read most of it so I'm enjoying it again. Also currently working through the second Invincible compendium which goes up to issue #98 ish I think - I'd read chunks of it before but never the whole run, honestly it's more than a little underwhelming as a whole (I hate Kirkman's dialogue) but it has some real stand-out moments obviously (can't fault those IDW compendiums for value though - eyeing up The Darkness vol 1 and 2 at some point, 2400 pages ish all told). I'm thinking the Brubaker Cap run will be next, which I've never actually read before and is meant to be amazing, a little harder to collect in trade though.

So yeah, all in all my regular consumption of current Marvel (or DC for that matter) products is basically nil currently which is a shame.

Cheers.

Abhilegend

• Crisis Actor
  • Long live the Legion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 03:23:47 PM »

You guys should read Superman and Deathstroke. Two of the most awesome series right now.

Priest and Tomasi are knocking it out of the park.

Kallor

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 07:52:07 PM »

You guys should read Superman and Deathstroke. Two of the most awesome series right now.

Superman stuff is great.  Haven't checked out Deathstroke yet, I am kind of conflicted.  Priest is one of the best around, but in interviews it sounds like his approach is to toss the past 20 years of nuanced characterization in favor of a more one-dimensional villain role.  I'm sure I'll check it out eventually.

Upper_Krust

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 08:22:34 PM »

Nope. I read it for a while as I wanted to see Pak's Banner scenes, but gave up pretty quickly as it wasn't doing much for me. Followed it via scans online etc for another few issues, but didn't even bother doing that for the most recent one - literally no idea what happened and no interest in finding out. Never really cared for Cho much as a character so once the "what happened to the real Hulk?" mystery played out I was done (not helped by the disgraceful mistreatment and killing of Banner shortly thereafter, not in the TAHulk book of course but it did dampen my enthusiasm nonetheless).

To me the best use of Cho was during Invincible Hercules. In that comic he worked as the brains to Herc's brawn, unnecessary in a Banner-Hulk comic since Banner is the brains to Hulk's brawn - but he was a good fit in an all-ages Herc book.

I've got zero interest in the upcoming She Hulk book either (calling the book "Hulk" isn't enough to reel me in).

A stunt like that would put me off...and I used to buy She-Hulk a few years ago.

Honestly, my reading of all new Marvel stuff is at the lowest level I can remember. The only ongoing Marvel books I am reading semi-regularly at the moment are Old Man Logan and Punisher, and I'm quite a way behind on both of those now too. I still follow a lot of what is going on via people posting scans on other boards, but in terms of me actually setting out to read new stuff cover to cover these days it is basically 2000AD (and other Dredd-related titles) and that's it. Might give the upcoming X-Men vs Inhumans a shot as I am an unashamed Black Bolt fanboy and the prospect of a fight with Magneto intrigues me, but probably I'll just follow it via scans rather than actually pay for it unless I am seriously impressed by what I see (unlikely based on the form of Marvel event books). Like you, I find the monthly comic format to be pretty unfulfilling these days for a variety of reasons, even aside from my favourite Marvel character being put on ice after years of editorial mishandling.

Seems we are in the same boat in that regard (or have we both 'jumped the ship'?).

I am getting through quite a lot of trades currently of slightly older stuff where you can get whole, lengthy runs collected for reasonable prices. I'm re-reading Punisher MAX as that is being re-printed in its entirety (it was almost impossible to get previously unless you had a few hundred quid to splash on single trades). I've read it before but it's so good and it's been years since I read most of it so I'm enjoying it again.

I own virtually all the Thor issues (until Fraction and Fem-Thor) so I have turned my attentions to the 'classic' trades I missed back in the day (original Squadron Supreme from Gruenwald is seriously fucking brilliant) as well as just randomly starting a series (Uber was excellent; East is West was Meh, God is Dead is total shit) if the idea interests me.

Also currently working through the second Invincible compendium which goes up to issue #98 ish I think - I'd read chunks of it before but never the whole run, honestly it's more than a little underwhelming as a whole (I hate Kirkman's dialogue) but it has some real stand-out moments obviously

Now that's interesting because I really like Invincible, however...

1. It does take a while to get going (specifically when Mark fights his Dad)
2. It does lose a lot of impetus after the Viltrumite War.

But the stuff between about 12-75 I love. Cool characters, amazing fights and real character development. Plus Ryan Ottley is just such a good artist.

...still a bit pissed they didn't give Omnipotus a better showing though.

(can't fault those IDW compendiums for value though - eyeing up The Darkness vol 1 and 2 at some point, 2400 pages ish all told). I'm thinking the Brubaker Cap run will be next, which I've never actually read before and is meant to be amazing, a little harder to collect in trade though.

I got the Planetary Omnibus for myself a month or so ago (a friend loaned it to me many years ago) - on second reading I was amazed how many homages/references to comics I'd missed first time around. Good book...although still too decompressed for me.

So yeah, all in all my regular consumption of current Marvel (or DC for that matter) products is basically nil currently which is a shame.

Well at least the Marvel movies are still decent.

Liam Gallaghers Unibrow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 01:32:34 AM »

Now that's interesting because I really like Invincible, however...

1. It does take a while to get going (specifically when Mark fights his Dad)
2. It does lose a lot of impetus after the Viltrumite War.

But the stuff between about 12-75 I love. Cool characters, amazing fights and real character development. Plus Ryan Ottley is just such a good artist.

Yeah the art is great and some of the fights are amazing of course. I think it's the dialogue that makes it hard for me to enjoy, Kirkman writes a ton of it so all of the stories are wordy as hell, which would be fine if his dialogue was even passably good. It's not though, it's awful. No real person in the history of mankind has ever talked like a Kirkman character (and lots of Kirkman characters end up sounding exactly the same too with only minor variations), it reads so unnaturally and I find it very off-putting (I had the exact same thoughts reading the first Walking Dead compendium).

It's especially jarring when you are reading it alongside the Punisher MAX series - Ennis has his faults, but I think he may be right up there with the best dialogue writers in comics. His characters, while often extreme and knowingly silly, talk like real people, have realistic back and forth conversations, all are distinct and have their own voice (whereas a typical Kirkman conversation between characters will have one talking at the other for five or six needlessly wordy sentences, then the other doing the same, repeat). There's an absolute gulf in quality between the two IMHO.

There is still a lot to like about Invincible, don't get me wrong I don't hate it by any means. I just remembered it more fondly from dipping in and out of it when it was first coming out, reading it back now my feeling is that it is basically an average book for long chunks interspersed with really good bits (mostly when the story focuses on the Viltrumites/the resistance).

Cheers.

JAXN

• Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 04:30:21 PM »

It's more than losing the hammer that's causing Thor to behave the way he is now. Whatever he learned from Fury has disgraced him to the point he feels powerless, so it seems as though his loss of power is more mental and a choice rather than it being about the hammer. As for Jane, Aaron has added to the mythos of mjolnir and we find out why Jane was able to fight Odin. The idea that a sentient storm resides within the hammer is pretty cool when you think about it. That storm was just about as powerful as Odin. I assume whatever Fury said to Thor also awakened the storm within Mjnolnir. One jus has to wonder exactly what was said since the hammer also spoke to a younger Thor so obviously the storm has no problem with him.

I wondered what's inside the ultimate mjolnir. It's clearly as powerful, if not more, than the original

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 01:44:37 AM »

That's how they are making it seem
Logan defender, gyro enthusiast.

Upper_Krust

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »

Yeah the art is great and some of the fights are amazing of course. I think it's the dialogue that makes it hard for me to enjoy, Kirkman writes a ton of it so all of the stories are wordy as hell, which would be fine if his dialogue was even passably good. It's not though, it's awful. No real person in the history of mankind has ever talked like a Kirkman character (and lots of Kirkman characters end up sounding exactly the same too with only minor variations), it reads so unnaturally and I find it very off-putting (I had the exact same thoughts reading the first Walking Dead compendium).

I don't mind a lot of dialogue - unless its needless dialogue. Books in the past had much more narration AND dialogue than modern comics and its why you can read most modern comics in under 5 minutes. Needless dialogue is the Bendis-esque back and forth small-talk.

But I think I understand what you mean, a lot of the characters sound very similar. That could be symptomatic of having too many characters or instead that he just hasn't given them enough idiosyncrasies in their speech patterns.

It's especially jarring when you are reading it alongside the Punisher MAX series - Ennis has his faults, but I think he may be right up there with the best dialogue writers in comics. His characters, while often extreme and knowingly silly, talk like real people, have realistic back and forth conversations, all are distinct and have their own voice (whereas a typical Kirkman conversation between characters will have one talking at the other for five or six needlessly wordy sentences, then the other doing the same, repeat). There's an absolute gulf in quality between the two IMHO.

I like a bit of 'super' in my super-heroes so I generally don't read things like the Punisher, but it might be interesting to check out some Ennis to help with my own writing.

There is still a lot to like about Invincible, don't get me wrong I don't hate it by any means. I just remembered it more fondly from dipping in and out of it when it was first coming out, reading it back now my feeling is that it is basically an average book for long chunks interspersed with really good bits (mostly when the story focuses on the Viltrumites/the resistance).

I only buy the trades of Invincible. I wonder if I would be as keen on it if I were buying the comic instead. That said, you could say that about a load of comics nowadays, I know its a small thing but the drop from a standard 22 pages down to 20 has hurt mainstream comics, especially since they are so decompressed nowadays.

Ramz

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Today at 02:58:30 AM »

So is #06 coming out? what the hel?

-K-M-

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:02:42 AM »

No. It's done. It was a 5-issue mini series. He's going back to the regular Thor book with Jane-Thor and the new War Thor

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Today at 03:04:47 AM »

It's like a little nuclear family. Is Kid Thor and Thor Dog on the way? They need to bring back Thor Girl.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

-K-M-

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Today at 03:14:28 AM »

She technically is still around. During fear itself she left earth to the stars

Don't forget throg...

Also beta ray bill and kid thunderstrike
« Last Edit: Today at 03:16:17 AM by -K-M- »

Strawman Abridged

• King
  • swiss army knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Today at 04:30:17 AM »

O to live in a day and age where the Unworthy Thor is a thing.

Panthergod

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Today at 05:22:31 AM »

Superman stuff is great.  Haven't checked out Deathstroke yet, I am kind of conflicted.  Priest is one of the best around, but in interviews it sounds like his approach is to toss the past 20 years of nuanced characterization in favor of a more one-dimensional villain role.  I'm sure I'll check it out eventually.
Oh not at all. Priest is an old school Shooter era continuity fiend and everything he's done acknowledges the Marv Wolfman stuff as well as his subsequent portrayals by Winnick, etc, integrating his varying portrayals as a whole while giving great new details regarding the nature of his power set that make the Wilson Family history make sense. Its magnificent, plus has a great and hilarious ersatz amoral realist African dictator Black Panther/Mercenary Captain America duo dynamic. I missed the shit of this guy in comics for the past decade. Its a crime he wasn't allowed to helm the Batman books back in the early 90s. Smh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3