Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Unworthy Thor  (Read 1102 times)

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
Unworthy Thor
« on: December 11, 2016, 03:52:31 AM »

It ain't bad. Great great art, and Aaron is doing solid.
Logan defender, gyro enthusiast.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Unworthy Thor
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 05:55:11 AM »

Thats good to know. He's done his penance.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:25:52 PM »

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not really a fan of Aaron's Thor and I'll be glad when he hands over the reigns. It reminds me of Brubaker's Bucky/Cap - not bad, but not for me. His humor is often out of place and when he goes for drama it's bombastic. It could certainly be worse but I don't dig it.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 11:25:02 PM »

I'm not a fan of what he's doing either but you make a shit sandwich and I'll eat it with good art. His dialogue is a bit idk, Juvenile imo. Reading Mighty Thor and he makes the Avengers (including Dr. Strange and god damn Cap) just come across as idiots and powerless. I'm like

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:28:07 PM by Gree »

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 11:33:24 PM »

Yeah he's usually been paired with a good artist, which helps.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 01:50:02 AM »

Apparently Aaron thinks new uses and mastery of mjolnir=mjolnir flying fast in loops

Liam Gallaghers Unibrow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 01:50:19 AM »

Not been reading it but Thor fans on Alvaros seem to legit hate this. Mind you they hate everything that involved Thor's power-level being downplayed so that might be it. Although mostly on there it seems to be the SJW aspect of it which is fair enough as Aaron does seem to lean on that heavily.

If he's still around here, from lurking on there it seems that Upper Krust absolutely despises Aaron's run so I'd be interested to see what he thinks.

Cheers.

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 02:46:11 AM »

They hate Unworthy or Mighty?

Power levels in Mighty seem okish, but lots of sjw stuff that Aaron is leaning on and completely altered Odin

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 03:01:22 AM »

Ehhh idk. I'm a pretty big Thor fan and like high powered comics and etc. but I don't think Unworthy is thattt bad. It scratches a high powered fantasy itch with excellent art. They make it apparent that Thor isn't what he once was, and Mjolnir was a large aspect of his power, which is true. I'm not a fan of the constant losing but I think it might be building to something.

Would really like to know what the whispered secret is, but they're bound to have a rebound story soon-returning him to glory.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:03:19 AM by Gree »

Liam Gallaghers Unibrow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 03:09:52 AM »

TBF I get the sense that they hate Unworthy because of Mighty, basically reached a breaking point of all they can stomach which is fair enough. As someone who hasn't been reading it, from what I can gather as an outsider I feel like that is probably not an unfair position to take - been a rough period for Thor fans seemingly. Not necessarily even in the sense of raw power levels so much as him being a whiny bitch completely dependent on the hammer to be a person of note. The hammer should be important but not everything.

Cheers.

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 03:13:31 AM »

I can agree with that

Abhilegend

• Crisis Actor
  • Long live the Legion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 06:46:37 AM »

Yeah, Aaron is complete shit.

Whiskeyclone

• King
  • Legit King of the Hipsters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 09:25:07 PM »

He did great work with Wolverine and most of his x-stuff, and I liked his villain work in Thor when Odinson was Tor, and even the early She-Thor stuff, but that was about it. His handling of the Thor mythos proper has been shit, and while I stopped reading a year ago, everything I hear in that time seems to say he's kept it up, or even put his pedal to the metal.

Upper_Krust

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 01:44:14 AM »

Apologies for being late to the party. I still check these forums every other day (when not busy with work) but must have missed this thread.

Not been reading it but Thor fans on Alvaros seem to legit hate this. Mind you they hate everything that involved Thor's power-level being downplayed so that might be it. Although mostly on there it seems to be the SJW aspect of it which is fair enough as Aaron does seem to lean on that heavily.

If he's still around here, from lurking on there it seems that Upper Krust absolutely despises Aaron's run so I'd be interested to see what he thinks.

You have to be careful what you say around Alvaro's, since its a tad more family friendly.

I'm keeping up with Aaron's 'stuff' via online reviews and reading the comics when I go in the store (approx. every other month give or take). I haven't bought a Marvel title since Aaron's Thor #25 (the issue before Jane-Thor takes over).

I actually think Aaron is a good writer, he's got some great ideas and under different circumstances I'd probably be enjoying his run. I actually think Jane Thor would have been a good idea (if done differently) - so I am not against shaking things up as regards the main character or storyline.

However, there are three flaws to his Marvel comics all of which are problems endemic throughout Marvel (as far as I can tell and I could be wrong on this but I doubt I am).

1. Decompression: I've basically had enough of it. I'm not going to tolerate 5-10 issue stories any longer. Aaron had 25 issues on Thor (which I bought) and he told about 4 stories during that time. These writers simply don't write for the comic format any longer and it shows massively. I don't mind the occasional 5-6 issue mega-arc closing story (like the Surtur Saga) or crossover Event (Infinity Gauntlet) but when every story is 5 or 6 issues and they don't bother with slow builds, multiple plots etc. it just kills the pacing stone dead.

Modern Marvel has less pages, less panels, less story, less dialogue and costs more (not to mention us Brits always get fucked on the exchange rate).

2. Feminist/SJW Agenda: I'm not funding it and I won't support it. Marvel have just went WAY over the fucking top with this nonsense and Fem-Thor is the absolute pinnacle of the self-entitled, virtue-signalling bullshit. Plus its simply not enough to build up Fem-Thor to be strong on her own merits (and by her own merits I mean stealing Thor's hammer, power, name and inexplicably his fighting experience) but they also have to emasculate all the male characters at Marvel and put them down at every opportunity. Thor went from heroic, courageous, alpha male, warrior hero to a whiny, disabled, crybaby cuck who dresses like a gay hobo stripper cosplaying as little red riding hood.

3. Crappy Action: Bit of a nitpick here because Aaron's no worse than the rest in this regard...I haven't read a good superhero fight since Hulk vs. Sentry (unless I'm forgetting something?). But they simply don't give a toss for action scenes any more (a splash page will do, fuck em').

I remember Kirkman's Invincible vs. Conquest (where Conquest loses his mechanical arm, Eve loses a leg and his little brother gets fucked up as well) It was awesome. Aaron has Malekith chop off Thor's arm (quite the important moment) and it was just pure shit.

Its all just become too depressing to read and I refuse to support even the Unworthy Thor comic because that would legitimize the direction Aaron has taken things.
You address Omnipotence...tread carefully.
Pages: [1] 2 3