Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Black Panther: Slave Owner?  (Read 979 times)

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
Black Panther: Slave Owner?
« on: December 10, 2016, 02:06:43 AM »

Started thinking about it.

Wakanda seems to go from primitive tribal society to super techno-society.

Not too amazing for primitive societies to have slaves on top of that, doesn't seem to be a lot of what you call social mobility there as well.

Or is effectively everybody in Wakanda his slave being that he's a king in a monarchy?

AP

• Global Moderator
  • Lizardman
  • Yep. We're boned.
    • View Profile
Re: Black Panther: Slave Owner?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 04:29:27 AM »

Has it been shown he has out and out slaves?

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 11:50:16 AM »

Maybe not him personally, but African tribes routinely enslaved (members of) tribes they defeated in battle. Wakanda is probably as isolated as it is because it enslaved and absorbed all neighboring tribes early in its history.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 01:13:13 PM »

Wakanda probably sold some slaves to the white devils.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 01:16:04 PM »

Not sure about that, seeing as they thrived in secret for so long. They likely avoided outside devil contact/kept the slaves for themselves.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 12:52:22 AM »

Has it been shown he has out and out slaves?

Off hand; don't know.

I know from reading the odd comic here and there his society is intensely stratified.

With it going from primitive tribal, to dirt floor and bricks on up to uber-techtopia for the elite.

This of course may vary somewhat from writer to writer but still.

Black Panther may straight out have slaves or maybe simply the bottom level of his society should count as slaves anyways, do the manual labor, live in huts with no access to wealth or resources, have to do exactly what Black Panther says.

If they aren't slaves, pretty close to it. 

You know by comparison.....Dr. Doom doesn't have some kind of primitive vikings or 15th century people living in his kingdom....

Maybe not him personally, but African tribes routinely enslaved (members of) tribes they defeated in battle. Wakanda is probably as isolated as it is because it enslaved and absorbed all neighboring tribes early in its history.

I wouldn't be surprised, it certainly claimed a large portion of one of the largest water sources nearby.  I'm actually surprised they managed to remain isolated after all those years but then they pretty much straight up killed any body who approached them didn't they?

Not sure about that, seeing as they thrived in secret for so long. They likely avoided outside devil contact/kept the slaves for themselves.

Probably; don't see them degrading themselves by interacting with the mercantile system of other cultures.  That and honestly; what did any one else have to even other them for most of existence?

I mean, aside from the Eternals or some other secret high techno-society also hanging out somewhere?

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 05:53:37 AM »

I mean, aside from the Eternals or some other secret high techno-society also hanging out somewhere?

That would be a really interesting avenue to explore, as a BP writer.

Hulkster

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 09:57:20 PM »

Hudlin already explored this in the 2008 BP annual.  Wakanda abhorred slavery during colonial times and they covertly fought against slavery in other parts of Africa. 

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 10:04:46 PM »

Hudlin already explored this in the 2008 BP annual.  Wakanda abhorred slavery during colonial times and they covertly fought against slavery in other parts of Africa.

Couldn't have been fighting it that hard considering their vastly superior resources, fantastical wealth and technology......that and as I pointed out, whats the difference between the majority of the low end people in their society and slaves?

Heck; how many people are servants to T'Challa because their parents were servants to his parents and so on?

Hulkster

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »

Couldn't have been fighting it that hard considering their vastly superior resources, fantastical wealth and technology......that and as I pointed out, whats the difference between the majority of the low end people in their society and slaves?

Heck; how many people are servants to T'Challa because their parents were servants to his parents and so on?

They are shown as never getting directly involved.  They sort of funded anti-slavery terrorism without involving their own military.  Plus, this story goes back to the beginnings of the slave expansion before or shortly after the 1700s.  Wakanda was not really technologically advanced then and still fought with spears and the people lived in huts.  They are simply shown to be secluded, organized and very badass with wise leadership.  I don't think that they had discovered vibranium yet. 

I don't see Wakada as being portrayed any different from any other monarchy.  The idea of slavery being practiced in any form would contradict the recent efforts to portray Wakanda as such a historically utopian society. 

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 10:44:55 PM »

If they didnt get directly involved, then they suck, simply put.

Panthergod

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 10:59:49 PM »

Nope. nice try. Traditional African societies' notiton of slavery was debtors indentured servitude or for prisoners of war. they weren't dehumanized and their children weren't born into slavery. Tjhat being said,  Wouldnt be surprise if Tanaheisi Coates established something like the OP to justify his Western culture corrupted SJW self loathing male routine though.

riv6672

• Lizardman
  • MAY 2000-MAY 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »

Nothing says slavery (and mysoginism) like half dressed women serving their master:

This site is great:
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/if-not-for-the-slave-trade-chattel-slavery-invention-of-race-is-modern-africa-wakanda.470437/
Like a buncha Jellys all talking at once.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 11:55:24 PM »

Nope. nice try. Traditional African societies' notiton of slavery was debtors indentured servitude or for prisoners of war. they weren't dehumanized and their children weren't born into slavery. Tjhat being said,  Wouldnt be surprise if Tanaheisi Coates established something like the OP to justify his Western culture corrupted SJW self loathing male routine though.

Actually african societies would refer to slaves as "dogs for sale" and would work them to death often as not.

And Wakanda has an intensely stratified society where people are born into primitive tribes, live in huts, perform nothing but physical labor and serve as cannon-fodder against enemies with no apparent education.

Others above that which live in brick houses with dirt floors, others above them living in a techno-utopia.

All of whom have no choice in obeying the orders of their king or any nobility.

And probably specific servants, who have served the nobility since ever.

All of that is slavery in deed if not name.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 12:03:59 AM »

They are shown as never getting directly involved.  They sort of funded anti-slavery terrorism without involving their own military.  Plus, this story goes back to the beginnings of the slave expansion before or shortly after the 1700s.  Wakanda was not really technologically advanced then and still fought with spears and the people lived in huts.  They are simply shown to be secluded, organized and very badass with wise leadership.  I don't think that they had discovered vibranium yet. 

I don't see Wakada as being portrayed any different from any other monarchy.  The idea of slavery being practiced in any form would contradict the recent efforts to portray Wakanda as such a historically utopian society.

Now that's interesting, so until relatively recently Wakanda didn't use to have such an extreme different in social layers.
Pages: [1] 2