Herochat

Black Mirror

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
Black Mirror
« on: October 27, 2016, 01:54:23 PM »
Sci-Fi anthology show. The third season just came out on Netflix. All the episodes are on there, and it's pretty damn good. I might be favoring it cause its new and all that but I think it's better than either The Twighlight Zone or The Outter Limits.

Re: Black Mirror
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 06:39:23 PM »
Love it, but I thought this season was a bit hit and miss personally. I thought the second half was the stronger by a fair way. I liked the social commentary aspect of the first episode. Second and third a bit forgettable. Fourth really good. Fifth I liked but the twist was a bit predictable (although again I enjoyed the social commentary aspect). Sixth was really good too.

Cheers.

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 06:50:32 PM »
I've only seen the first 3 of this season. Agreed the first had the most impact (feel like I should be giving you 5 stars right now?) The 2nd and 3rd were a little depressing. That 3rd one, the own I just finished,was particularly bleak.

It somehow reminded me of the episode where the prime minister has to have sex with a pig from I think the second season.

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 09:09:29 PM »
Ok you were right, the 4th episode was soooo damn good. Also liked that it ended on a high note. I sort of expected something like that. I was sitting there wondering "ok where's the technology shaping life to an insane degree angle" that all of these have knowing that there was going to be some sort of element to the world itself, but even knowing pieces, it was just a great story with great characters that you rooted for more the more you watched them. Really wonderful.

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »
A nice little caption about the episode

But as in the past — notably in bittersweet episodes like “Be Right Back” and “The Entire History of You” — the show also has a unique flair for romance. And the new season’s standout “San Junipero,” a twisty love story, is its best episode to date.

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/26/the-san-junipero-obsessives-guide-to-the-greatest-black-mirror-episode-yet/

Whiskeyclone

• +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »
All my European friends adore this show, but I've found it to be one of the most inconsistent anthologies I've ever seen. I watched the first two seasons (not the X-Mas one yet, though) and the first episode of this season, and probably was unimpressed by more than I was impressed by. It has all the subtlety of Razm fucking a 600 pound Chinese prostitute in the middle of Times Square, that's for sure.

Still, I'll probably watch the remaining episodes because it's good once in a while and I'm a sucker for sci-fi anthologies.

scourge

• +36/-10
  • Just be pleasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
The X-Mas one with Jon Hamm? Really good. One of the best.

MTL76

• +1133/-119
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »
I'm a big fan. It's classic sci-fi. Slightly off-kilter, slightly futuristic versions of our world, exploring the ways in which technology can be abused if it is taken to its logical conclusion. They have managed to get an amazing group of performers to play roles. I agree with scourge, I think might be better than Twilight Zone (gasp!) Part of the reason is fewer episodes. This show is quality over quantity. And part of it is simply that the Twilight Zone belongs to an older era. The things that concerned people then are different than the things that concern us now.

Overall it's easier to point out the episodes I don't like, since the majority of them are excellent. In the last season that was San Junipero (not really sure why people are saying this is the best episode of the season) and to a lesser extent, Playtest (Wyatt Russell was excellent in it, but the conclusion to the story felt very generic.)

It's too bad the first episode of the first season was National Anthem, as that isn't a great way to introduce people to the series as it isn't one of the stronger episodes.

The X-mas episode was outstanding.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:10:15 AM by MTL76 »

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »

It's too bad the first episode of the first season was National Anthem, as that isn't a great way to introduce people to the series as it isn't one of the stronger episodes.

Yeah I wasn't in the mood & turned it off 5 minutes into that 1st episode.

I am curious though of how it played out...

MTL76

• +1133/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 10:52:35 AM »
You should give the Christmas special a try (it's part of Season 2.) It's a real mind fuck.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 09:48:11 AM »
Oh sweet Jesus.

I just watched the 1st episode of Season One.

I was hooked on how absurd & yet ridiculously serious it was....fucking a pig on national tv to save a princess!

I would've loved to be on set watching all the actors & film crew trying to keep a straight face.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »
2nd episode reminded me of a Kurt Vonnegut short story.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 09:56:08 PM »
As a huge Outer Limits fan, I find this show seriously lacking.

Bran Mak Morn

• +14/-14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 04:39:54 AM »
Reading the synopsis of each episode (1st 3 Seasons) I'm kinda just picking what sounds interesting.

MTL76

• +1133/-119
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 12:53:28 PM »
As a huge Outer Limits fan, I find this show seriously lacking.

I think you might have the worst taste on the board, and coming from me that's really saying something.