Herochat

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note that forum is still under construction.

heroes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Tom King's Batman - I Am Bane Arc! UPDATE-ISSUE 1  (Read 2061 times)

Bandido

• Stonemason
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
Re: Tom King's Batman - I Am Suicide Arc! UPDATE-ISSUE 3
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2016, 04:18:51 AM »

I'll admit, I didn't like this issue at all. Batman comes across as far too cynical for the conclusion he draws of, "My life was no longer my life", to "I swear by the spirits of my parents to avenger their deaths by spending the rest of my life warring on criminals."

As in, where did that come from? I love the whole Mask under Mask angle that Batman writers go with in terms of who Batman really is. Still, going from committing suicide in a moment of abandonment and desperation, to choosing to live for an ideal born of hope, seems almost as contrived as Batman's realization that somehow Selina and he are mirrors of each other.

The art is great, Mikel Janin and Hugo Petrus kill it. And I do appreciate where Batman arrives in the story both physically and in thought - Death is choice and it's wrong to making that choice from someone. I dislike the overly mushy and bi-polar thought train Batman rides to get there.

Bandido

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2016, 04:09:24 AM »

The last issue came out:

Catwoman's betrayal was all a ploy. Punchee and Jewlee are still alive. Catwoman breaks Bane's back when Batman gives the order whilst Bane in dunking on him. They send Wesker to get Psycho Pirate because while Arnold is controlled, Scarface (As Wesker'sHand) has none of it and One-In-Punches Psycho Pirate to unconsciousness before Bronze Tifer himself takes Wesker out. Punchee and Jewlee make an inflatable raft with some type of bubble gum. They all escape and Batman Selena share the classic, "If only, but we can never be." Bane is being helped by his minions and requests Venom.

So that arc went downhill pretty fast.

Bane playing psycho-analyst to Batman and himself, telling him how Psycho pirate makes them better, that he can heal the insecurity and doubt - Make peace with the demons they look to fight, was so overstuffed and antithetical to the character.

Art is still gorgeous.

Mightily Oats

• Crisis Actor
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2016, 10:00:30 AM »

Great art, good feats, shit story.

SOUNDS BOWD RET

Gree

• Crisis Actor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »

Art is fantastic but this spiraled off. Very unlike Batman "I want to break his damn back!". Writing took a turn for the worse
Logan defender, gyro enthusiast.

Bandido

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »

King kept using it, hoping the line sounded powerful every time; it didn't.

MTL76

• Crisis Actor
  • CROM Rules Everything Around Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2016, 10:46:28 PM »

I thought the first arc was really good. The second arc wasn't written by King so I don't cont it. This arc... pretty bad. Batman's master plan was pretty dumb. And Batman isn't dumb.

Minority shareholder in the Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)
The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Tarugo

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2016, 12:05:51 PM »

So I'm not missing anything by ignoring this arc?
Greatest character ever!

Bandido

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2016, 10:46:58 PM »

Well, the next big arc is called, "I Am Bane", so unfortunately yeah, you would be. Just wiki it.

Bandido

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
Re: Tom King's Batman - I Am Bane Arc! UPDATE-ISSUE 1
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2017, 07:31:50 AM »

Psycho Pirate needs five sessions to reverse what happened to Batgirl, one session a day. Batman in the middle of a Bat-themed Wendy's commands the Robin who are eating "Jokerized"-fries and making fun of each other to leave Gotham. They are of course blowing it off. Duke, reminds everyone else he isn't a Robin and after Bruce storms off (Yes they have an argument in the middle of the restaurant - sigh), Duke leaves as well. Batman is getting ready to take Gothan Girl to Arkham and he and Alfred are assisting her when she starts to freak out. They had taken an elevator down to the Bat-Cave and we see what she see's, three bodies dress as each of the three Robins hanging from the ceiling.

Other minor points of interest:

Catwoman is Back in Gotham. She turned on the Bat-Signal to talk to Batman on the GCPD roof. Gordon stormed up to see who activated it and After Batman warning her to leave Gotham, she escapes and he lets her go. Gordon chews him out and he blows it off.

Bronze Tiger is a free man and saved Batman from an assassination attempt at Arkham. He tries to tell Batman why Bane won't be deterred and why he (Bane) needed Psycho Pirate. - Venom tears at you and escaping from it's grasp is something Bane had long wanted and Pyscho Pirate provided for that. Bane will stop at nothing to get him back.

I dislike strongly how neutered Bane has been in this series. Removing from Bane his will to overcome the need for Venom robs him of his character. That undaunted and unflinching will is a bulwark of Bane's character, from how he built himself in Pena Duro and rebuilt himself after falling to Azarael and finally in beating his need for Venom. He's Bane without it and this arc doesn't portray him that way - With Venom and no will-to-power, he's just a mini-boss in a game. When all the Arkham inmates were juiced on Venom in the Forever Evil tie-in, Bane stood his ground and rather poetically:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/7u-CW-wq-QpIPxraIyC0kqxf3ywRSjeuxnyZSzrFMNKlqV9W8F2UDwDtTpVR_zyx_8qhPSdWTlp8=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/93Nz-WFtbcGW3vjSK77R8eVnJq-LiTM7PdgJLJmNd6RaB_O8Enj1Qx8EgkFeaCbXqOP5EBgo6vuw=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/wEO4GobC1joCC-stevjpj-ufsdJ9unVoJsUHBaoZvmvv0O9bXZImE5E4GjuamdNAf719qdXJU6KA=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Tdiy7K1iTdc0H48ZsgwUG9dm_bmyKHUixb9rgkHYRoKjM2QU6ShGLAnoRTkUhDe5uxUwSGCS_rOV=s0

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:46:21 AM by Bandido »

Bandido

• Stonemason
    • View Profile
Re: Tom King's Batman - I Am Bane Arc! UPDATE-ISSUE 3
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2017, 09:21:28 AM »

http://www.cbr.com/batman-bane-arch-foe-de-comics/

^That should catch you up if you haven't been following.

Loved seeing the backstory of Bane and Bruce in this issue. The way both men are by shaped by their histories and respond the same and differently to similar stimuli. Bane has always been the selfish, Batman. - I could do without the repetition of the word, "mommy".  I still have a problem with Bane emphasizing his will-to-power as what allows him to conquer Batman, when going back to Venom proves him weak to his machinations.

Also Catwoman's behavior? - Turning Chaotic Good in order to absolve herself of guilt for all the death she caused?

EDIT: And the biggest critique - The parallels between Batman and Bane could have been accentuated without over playing the "Mom" card. Batman looked up to his father and ignoring Thomas Wayne in this context glosses over the legacy of influence Batman had for his father. It would have even provided a mirror to highlight Bane's connection with his mother and his (Bane's) not having a father in his life.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:06:55 AM by Bandido »

Strawman Abridged

• King
  • swiss army knight
    • View Profile
Re: Tom King's Batman - I Am Bane Arc! UPDATE-ISSUE 1
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2017, 01:11:34 AM »

Batman still hasn't got over his parents deaths? Seriously, time to move on, bro.

g-train

• Lizardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2017, 12:19:09 AM »

King kept using it, hoping the line sounded powerful every time; it didn't.

Crazy Steve was more influential than I thought.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]