Herochat

Tom King's Batman - I Am Bane Arc! UPDATE-FINALE!

Mightily Oats

• +72/-577
  • Master of Fagnetism
    • View Profile
Re: Tom King's Batman - I Am Suicide Arc! UPDATE-ISSUE 3
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2016, 05:00:30 AM »
Great art, good feats, shit story.

SOUNDS BOWD RET

Gree

• +37/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2016, 08:17:13 AM »
Art is fantastic but this spiraled off. Very unlike Batman "I want to break his damn back!". Writing took a turn for the worse

Bandido

• +6/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2016, 05:21:32 PM »
King kept using it, hoping the line sounded powerful every time; it didn't.

MTL76

• +1111/-11
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2016, 05:46:28 PM »
I thought the first arc was really good. The second arc wasn't written by King so I don't cont it. This arc... pretty bad. Batman's master plan was pretty dumb. And Batman isn't dumb.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Tarugo

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2016, 07:05:51 AM »
So I'm not missing anything by ignoring this arc?
Nothing Is Impossible - Batman!

Bandido

• +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
Well, the next big arc is called, "I Am Bane", so unfortunately yeah, you would be. Just wiki it.

Bandido

• +6/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Tom King's Batman - I Am Bane Arc! UPDATE-ISSUE 1
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2017, 02:31:50 AM »
Psycho Pirate needs five sessions to reverse what happened to Batgirl, one session a day. Batman in the middle of a Bat-themed Wendy's commands the Robin who are eating "Jokerized"-fries and making fun of each other to leave Gotham. They are of course blowing it off. Duke, reminds everyone else he isn't a Robin and after Bruce storms off (Yes they have an argument in the middle of the restaurant - sigh), Duke leaves as well. Batman is getting ready to take Gothan Girl to Arkham and he and Alfred are assisting her when she starts to freak out. They had taken an elevator down to the Bat-Cave and we see what she see's, three bodies dress as each of the three Robins hanging from the ceiling.

Other minor points of interest:

Catwoman is Back in Gotham. She turned on the Bat-Signal to talk to Batman on the GCPD roof. Gordon stormed up to see who activated it and After Batman warning her to leave Gotham, she escapes and he lets her go. Gordon chews him out and he blows it off.

Bronze Tiger is a free man and saved Batman from an assassination attempt at Arkham. He tries to tell Batman why Bane won't be deterred and why he (Bane) needed Psycho Pirate. - Venom tears at you and escaping from it's grasp is something Bane had long wanted and Pyscho Pirate provided for that. Bane will stop at nothing to get him back.

I dislike strongly how neutered Bane has been in this series. Removing from Bane his will to overcome the need for Venom robs him of his character. That undaunted and unflinching will is a bulwark of Bane's character, from how he built himself in Pena Duro and rebuilt himself after falling to Azarael and finally in beating his need for Venom. He's Bane without it and this arc doesn't portray him that way - With Venom and no will-to-power, he's just a mini-boss in a game. When all the Arkham inmates were juiced on Venom in the Forever Evil tie-in, Bane stood his ground and rather poetically:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/7u-CW-wq-QpIPxraIyC0kqxf3ywRSjeuxnyZSzrFMNKlqV9W8F2UDwDtTpVR_zyx_8qhPSdWTlp8=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/93Nz-WFtbcGW3vjSK77R8eVnJq-LiTM7PdgJLJmNd6RaB_O8Enj1Qx8EgkFeaCbXqOP5EBgo6vuw=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/wEO4GobC1joCC-stevjpj-ufsdJ9unVoJsUHBaoZvmvv0O9bXZImE5E4GjuamdNAf719qdXJU6KA=s0
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/Tdiy7K1iTdc0H48ZsgwUG9dm_bmyKHUixb9rgkHYRoKjM2QU6ShGLAnoRTkUhDe5uxUwSGCS_rOV=s0

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:46:21 AM by Bandido »

Bandido

• +6/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Tom King's Batman - I Am Bane Arc! UPDATE-ISSUE 3
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2017, 04:21:28 AM »
http://www.cbr.com/batman-bane-arch-foe-de-comics/

^That should catch you up if you haven't been following.

Loved seeing the backstory of Bane and Bruce in this issue. The way both men are by shaped by their histories and respond the same and differently to similar stimuli. Bane has always been the selfish, Batman. - I could do without the repetition of the word, "mommy".  I still have a problem with Bane emphasizing his will-to-power as what allows him to conquer Batman, when going back to Venom proves him weak to his machinations.

Also Catwoman's behavior? - Turning Chaotic Good in order to absolve herself of guilt for all the death she caused?

EDIT: And the biggest critique - The parallels between Batman and Bane could have been accentuated without over playing the "Mom" card. Batman looked up to his father and ignoring Thomas Wayne in this context glosses over the legacy of influence Batman had for his father. It would have even provided a mirror to highlight Bane's connection with his mother and his (Bane's) not having a father in his life.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:06:55 AM by Bandido »

Strawman Abridged

• +17/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »
Batman still hasn't got over his parents deaths? Seriously, time to move on, bro.

g-train

• +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2017, 08:19:09 PM »
King kept using it, hoping the line sounded powerful every time; it didn't.

Crazy Steve was more influential than I thought.

Bandido

• +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2017, 02:10:41 AM »
For as a dumb and big as this whole arc got, in the end it boiled down to a good old fashioned brawl between a weathered Bane and weathered Batman in the heart of Arkham Asylum. The narration is an overlay by Bruce's mom. And she runs through the a laundry list of meta reasons behind Batman's being Batman, the need for him, his need for the crusade, why he's gone through so much for Gotham Girl. And after Batman and Bane have fought one another to a bloodied unconscious wreck, in a phantom-esque dream sequence at the end, Bruce rejects his mom's suppositions. He replies the real reason he did all this, was because Gotham Girl needed help and that was it, that was enough. And his mom tells him she's proud of him.

Way resurrect this arc, Tom King.

Bandido

• +6/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2017, 02:19:49 AM »
http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-chuck-dixon-graham-nolan-bane-dc-comics/

Apparently the fallout is Bane going Captain-Ahab across the globe. - By Dixon and Nolan too, I'm down.

supermutant

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tom King's Batman - I Am Bane Arc! UPDATE-FINALE!
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »
Yeah I'm glad that they are allowing Bane to branch away from the Bat family. I wish they would lose the tubes on him, and showcase his smarts and mma skill more as well.

Letters

• +13/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »
You said it. Bane should be portrayed as someone who is Just as smart, tactical, strategic, and skilled as Batman. And he's stronger and a hell of a lot more lethal.

Uhtceare

• +11/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »
Yeah I'm glad that they are allowing Bane to branch away from the Bat family. I wish they would lose the tubes on him, and showcase his smarts and mma skill more as well.

The thing is, the venom makes him the inverse of Batman in a key way. Both are characters who combine brilliance with animal ferocity. However, Batman favors the brilliance, favors the Man, via having a utility belt. The utility belt being a set of tools best used by a man. He is batMAN, on a certain level.

Bane, on the other hand, favors the beast, and his choice of a weapon that enhances the beast symbolizes this. Where Wayne is a beast-MAN, Bane is a BEAST-man.

Bane is someone who believes that favoring the beast is better than favoring the man. You lose that if you drop the venom. What is Batman vs Bane symbolic of without the venom? If you want someone who symbolizes Batman's fanatical crusader tendencies without his morality, Red Hood and Ra's Al Ghul are already better designed at their core for that role.