Herochat

Westworld

Master

• +40/-24
  • When is a raven a writing desk?
    • View Profile
Re: Westworld
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 01:59:42 PM »
I'm also trying to determine if any of the staff are androids.
9 outta 10 Masters are Master.

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 02:28:12 PM »
Finished ep 2. I think that the various departments have been tweaking and fucking with the androids for so long, they have no real clue what they're becoming.

MTL76

• +1119/-13
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
I think it was a clever twist to make Yul Brenner's role in the movie, the evil man in black, be a human instead of an android this time around. It's another way that the show is making the androids seem sympathetic.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
His mission intrigues me but doesn't seem too important yet. Did the creator Ford build some intentional secret maze quest? Or has the "game" evolved something in secret that the creators don't know yet.

Military application of androids would really change the face of war worldwide. Drones to the fucking Nth level.

Bandido

• +9/-2
  • I can't let you do that Starfox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 02:55:00 AM »
I'm hoping he dies mid-season and in dying reveals the hollowness of Westworld to the Hosts.

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 06:59:59 AM »
I like how the androids are essentially NPCs from our current gen games. Scripted interactions and a variety of reactions based on if/when a player comes along. Obviously a lot more advanced for the show, but it's the basic concept of applying online gaming to a real world setting.

Never saw the original, but I'd imagine the robots were more "mechanical" if that makes any sense. Influenced by the thoughts of robotics from that time period and previous fictional works.

MTL76

• +1119/-13
  • "What if I know all your secrets, Your Eminence?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 07:35:44 AM »
Never saw the original, but I'd imagine the robots were more "mechanical" if that makes any sense.

They were. You wouldn't feel any sympathy for them, unlike the show, where Maeve's (Thandie Newton's) terror at waking up on the operating table, or her anguish at remembering the death of her child, are very sympathetic.

Minority Shareholder, Combine Honnete Ober Advancer Mercantiles (CHOAM)

The Create A Team / Power Set Combo Compendium

Whiskeyclone

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 11:20:51 AM »
So far so good for sure. The potential for sub-human brutality in a Western setting reminds me a bit of Blood Meridian, though obviously that's about it for similarities. 

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 01:22:29 PM »
Never saw the original, but I'd imagine the robots were more "mechanical" if that makes any sense.

They were. You wouldn't feel any sympathy for them, unlike the show, where Maeve's (Thandie Newton's) terror at waking up on the operating table, or her anguish at remembering the death of her child, are very sympathetic.

Ok, that's what I expected. Machines breaking down rather than the current show's exploration of how close you need to get to "human" before you finally cross the threshold. And what are the moral/ethical ramifications of treating even sub-human creatures like this?

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »

BTW, how fucking crazy are the Westworld narrative people who scripted this event?

80sBaby

• +30/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 10:58:40 AM »
Yeah, they were about to rape a corpse.

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »
Theory I read:

Young guy Will we see entering WW for the first time in ep 2? He's Ed Harris' unnamed man in black. All of the Will scenes are flash backs from 30 years ago when the man in black first started coming. Just hard to tell because the park has so many repetitive things.

In all of Will's scenes, we never see any current real world park staff. No events occur around Will that even get a mention from park staff.

Will does see that one white hooker android. Is she in charge like she gets programmed for earlier in the episode (due to malfunctioning black hooker)? Maybe. But like the staff said, put white hooker in charge because she's done the job before.

Will also runs into Delores just hanging around being normal. We know from
ep 1 that Delores is one of the oldest hosts in the park. So again, her being there is no confirmation of being in current time.

Next, Will encounters the one-eyed host falling off the wagon. This one-eyed guy is nowhere to be seen in ep 1. He could be something new. Or something old.

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »
Finally watched episode one and really liked it. Question though is it just going to be for one season or more?

Master

• +40/-24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2016, 11:29:29 PM »
Finally watched episode one and really liked it. Question though is it just going to be for one season or more?

I think just one.

-K-M-

• +11/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2016, 11:36:15 PM »
I actually like that. That way it won't saturate the material